The Best audiophile tracks to test equipment
Jan 8, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #61 of 482
As a modest collector of CDs this thread is dangerous. So many new names. One last name by me: '93'till Infinity' by Souls of Mischief. This is a gem of an album which is jazzy, groovy, funky, original with background instumentals that actually made it to an acoustic version of the album. The acoustic album version is a rarity.

Jan 9, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #62 of 482
Here is an easy (and cheap) one to find:

Danny Elfmann - This is Halloween on the Nightmare Before Christmas OST. It's very difficult for most gear to reproduce correctly as there is so much going on - different voices, effects, instrumentation, sound stage, etc. When done right it sounds awesome.

Jan 9, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #63 of 482
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Danny Elfmann - This is Halloween on the Nightmare Before Christmas OST. It's very difficult for most gear to reproduce correctly as there is so much going on - different voices, effects, instrumentation, sound stage, etc. When done right it sounds awesome.

I have used that one a couple of times.. It is fun at a large Stereo event and you have that shouting out of one of the rooms...

Cheers,

Jan 17, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #64 of 482
Here is my little list:

1. Kind of Blue - Miles Davis
- Minimalist Jazz. Easy to pick up instrument placing, depth/shape of soundstage

2. Electric Lady Land - Jimi Hendrix
- This one gave me a little tinge as the guitars panned from left to right sweeping through my head. Several tracks also good for evaluating the depth/shape of the stage

And yes, Dark Side of The Moon by Pink Floyd is great. So much going on, it really helps gauge the separation and the ability to keep up with the various transients.

Jan 17, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #65 of 482
I have been reading a lot recently by people giving out about the (over)-use of compression, could someone recommend an album that is apparently well produced, but has lots of compression?

Jan 20, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #68 of 482
I prefer to use purely acoustic tracks.
My favorite is "Moon Run" by Trapezoid Amazon.com: Moon Run: Trapezoid: Music. Excellent recording, perfect balance and most of all, a most beautiful piece of music.

I also use "Liquid Amber" by Lawrence Juber - The version from the "Sounds of Wood and Steel" collection by Windham Hill Amazon.com: Sounds of Wood and Steel: Various Artists: Music .

However, when trying to impress people, I use "Lilly was here" by Candy Dulfer and Dave Stewart Amazon.com: Saxuality: Candy Dulfer: Music . Not audiophile quality since it's heavily processed, but it can sound impressive with a modest setup.

Another favorite is "Private investigations" by Dire Straits, the entire "Dark Side Of the Moon" by Pink Floyd (I have 4 different versions of this) and "Your Own Sweet Way" by the Notting Hillbillies.

For vocals I use tracks by the recently late Lasha de Sela, and the "Song to the Siren" by This Mortal Coil.

For bass, I use Massive Attack's remix of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan's "Mustt-Mustt" (probably the best bass loaded track).

Last, there's always room for Carl Orff's "Carmina Burana" - O Fortuna velut luna statu variabilis, semper crescis aut decrescis...
Play it loud and even if the system you setup is basic, you are going to impress everyone.

Feb 10, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #69 of 482
My Test Tracks

Massive Attack - Angel From Mezzanine (To Check Distortion in Bass)

Hans Zimmer - Hunger from Black Hawk Down (Low End Bass and Vocals in the beginning of the track and involvement in music in the second half i.e., there shouldn't be any distortion and should have some separation)

A. R. Rahman - Revival from Vande Mataram (Vocals, Low End Bass, Texture of Stringed Instruments, Texture of Sax)

A. R. Rahman - Beat of Passion from Taal (Soundstage & Imaging, Involvement)

Kimya Dawson - All Tracks sung By Kimya Dawson From Juno (Vocals and the Strings)

Of course, there are several other left out but worth mentioning. Several tracks of MJ, Die Another Day and American Life by Madonna

Feb 11, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #70 of 482
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecramer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nick Cave and the Bad seeds - Red Right hand

This is an awesome track. I played this once while auditioning some gear in a store and the guys who worked there came in from the other room to ask what it was.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Chesky test CD.
31CDCE2SQSL._SL500_AA200_.jpg

Some great tracks on this album, my favourite being the dynamic drum test. My neighbours probably don't like it very much though.
icon10.gif

Feb 11, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #71 of 482
I like to use
Beethoven 5th symphony - Carlos Klieber
Eva Cassidy - Live at Blues Alley
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Alice in Chains - Unplugged

Mar 26, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #72 of 482
Just stumbled on "You Rock My World" by Michael Jackson from Invincible. Some serious pounding bass and you better hope the tweeters can handle that snare.

I love when Mike says in the beginning...she is bangin'

Apr 2, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #73 of 482
Holst, The Planets - Mars & Jupiter in particular. They don't test everything, but they will test distortion in your headphones and the quality of your amp to the limit - and they do the same for floorstanding speakers and amps.

Apr 6, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #74 of 482
Yello "The Whole Mix in One Go" (amazing how old yet well produced for electronic music their stuff is)
Rodrigo y Gabriela "11:11"
Yes "90125"...what a great listen this album is (even if you're not a Yes fan)
Grace Jones "Slave to The Rhythm" (another super crispy Trevor Horn classic)
John Coltrane "Giant Steps" (positioning is amazing)
Cocteau Twins "Heaven or Las Vegas" (it takes a lot to bring out all of the stuff going on in a CT track)
Kraftwerk "Minimum Maximum"
Modern Jazz Quartet "European Concert" (lovely vibes tone)
Talk Talk "Spirit of Eden" (why they invented headphones)
Vangelis "Blade Runner OST"
The Knife "We Share Our Mothers' Health" (Trentmoller Remix)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back