The Best audiophile tracks to test equipment
Jan 31, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #136 of 482
  The Paul Berner album/download ''Road to Memphis''(Sound Liaison) is my go to album  at the moment,for soundstage depth and cable,preamp etc. comparisons.
The album is sublimely well recorded (and well played too).
For speaker placement it is perfect because of the very clear placement of the instruments.
Guitarists, Pieter Teehuis and Ed Verhoef, are placed one left and  one right,reed player Michael Moore,
placed slightly off center to the left and Paul Berners bass slightly  to the right.
The download has no compression, to my ears, and is covering the whole range from a whisper(Moore)to a roar(Teehuis).
The recording has been done live in front of a small studio audience,and because of that,one can occasionally hear a cough or a sniff, but that all adds to the very realistic experience one gets from this album.
[size=x-small]The deep but well defined bass of Paul Berner really shines on my [/size]Sennheiser[size=x-small] HD800,makes me wonder why people call these headphones too analytical,this album just sound gorgeous on the HD800.[/size]
(but on the other hand when listening to the Hi-res version of ''Layla'' from Derek and the Dominos,Eric Clapton and Duane Allman,  I did find myself being a bit analytical and hurried to put the old L.P.version on.)
There is no drums on this album,and because of that , one can really hear how much air( treble) there is hidden in the sound of a well recorded upright bass,my old Phillips hp 8900,and Sennheiser hd 520 which are decent headphones, all things considered,does show their shortcomings here.
The album is true studio master,direct  one to one copy of the studio mix,24bit,96khz,download and only available straight from the Sound Liaison web site.

I just listened to the album you mentioned and compared it to Country Boy, The Devil and Elvis Presley which (I'm not if you've heard but) is basically the same thing except with more songs and an alternative mix and imo it sound much more airy, clear and less over produced than the later which sounds less realistic and feels like it is missing some of the subtle details that I can hear in the other album..

Mar 10, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #137 of 482
I prefer the studio master version,''Road to Memphis'' it is more realistic and seems to be the concert as it was played.'
'Country Boy''' is the concert and what sounds to me as additional studio takes mixed in,it is a great album as well but not a Studio Master file. 

But anyway, both versions are very good indeed.

I just listened to the album you mentioned and compared it to Country Boy, The Devil and Elvis Presley which (I'm not if you've heard but) is basically the same thing except with more songs and an alternative mix and imo it sound much more airy, clear and less over produced than the later which sounds less realistic and feels like it is missing some of the subtle details that I can hear in the other album..

May 22, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #141 of 482
A few additions to this thread:

- Stereophile Test CD 2 - really cliched I know, but it has a few really useful tracks:  
     - A test of imaging, where someone is walking across the mikes while clapping their hands
     - Some warble tones done at different frequencies to taste bass response

- In the realm of MUSIC, I really like using Tori Amos (Little Earthquakes) - it's a female voice with a piano accompanying it - great for sussing out how "real" those sound on your system

- House of the Flying Dagger - some big instrumental drums, with logs of stringed instruments

Aug 6, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #143 of 482
I like Rodrigo y Gabriella the guitars are so beautiful through my akg's.

agree, Rod and Gab are great at what they do, they sound great on Grados as well

Aug 8, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #144 of 482
Wow! this thread is pushing 10 years old. many of the titles listed are, in fact, very good. However, I believe if you're interest is in listening to how
a headphone really performs, test tracks and a musical selection intended for just that purpose is your best measuring tool. I suggest this.......

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #147 of 482
This is a sample of my off the beaten path
deadhorse.gif
 listing that keeps me busy at work.. Enjoy...

Acoustic / Semi Acoustic

You Move Me - Cassandra Wilson - Love Jones (Soundtrack)
                   Bitter - Me'Shell Ndegeocello - Bitter
                   Blackbird - Dionne Farris - Wild Seed Wild Flower
                   Quiet Desperation - Family Stand - Moon in Scorpio
                   Playing Possum - Maxwell - BLACK summers' night
                   Like a Tattoo - Sade - The Best of Sade
                   Pink Houses(Acoustic Version) - John Mellencamp - Uh-Huh (Remastered) 
                   Believe (acoustic) - Lenny Kravitz - Super Soul Fighter
                   Outono (Stay) - Karrin Allyson - Imagina: Songs of Brazil
                   She Talks To Angels - The Black Crowes - Croweology (Disc 2)
                   Beautiful - India Arie - Acoustic Soul
                   Strength, Courage & Wisdom - India Arie - Acoustic Soul
                   Sweet in the Mornin' - Bobby Mcferrin - Medicine Music
                   Change - Fishbone - Fishbone 101 Nuttasaurusmeg Fossil Fuelin' the Fonkay
                   The Sunshine - N'Dambi - Little Lost Girls Blues

Rhythm & Bass

Submerge: Till We Become the Sun - Maxwell - Embrya
                    Let Me Have You - Me'Shell Ndegeocello - How Stella Got Her Groove Back (Soundtrack)
                    Trust - Me'Shell Ndegeocello - Cookie: The Anthropological Mixtape
                    Earth - Me'Shell Ndegeocello - Cookie: The Anthropological Mixtape
                    Jabril - Me'Shell Ndegeocello - Cookie: The Anthropological Mixtape
                    Priorities 1-6 - Me'Shell Ndegeocello - Cookie: The Anthropological Mixtape
                    Rush Over - Marcus Miller & Me'Shell Ndegeocello - Love Jones (Soundtrack)
                    If this Bass Could Only Talk - Stanley Clarke -  If this Bass Could Only Talk
                    Bassically Taps - Stanley Clarke -  If this Bass Could Only Talk
                    Africa, Center of the World - Fela Anikulapo Kuti & Roy Ayers - Up Side Down/Music of Many Colours
                    Slavery Days - Burning Spear - Chant Down Babylon
                    Definition of a Band (Intro) - Mint Condition - Definition of a Band
                    Definition of a Band (Swing Version) - Mint Condition - Definition of a Band
                    Asher in Rio (Interlude) - Mint Condition - Definition of a Band
                    Take Off (Nicola Conte Remix) - Marco Di Marco & Nathan Haines - Break N' Bossa 7 - More Funk Into It

Soundtracks

Generique - Miles Davis - Ascenseur pour l'echafaud (1958)
                       Kaneda - Geinoh Yamashirogumi - Akira     *(get past the beginning noise)*
                       Unicornio - Cecilia Noel - from "The follow" (BMW Films)
                       Lemurian Star - Henry Jackman - Captain America: The Winter Soldier
                       Taking a Stand - Henry Jackman -  Captain America: The Winter Soldier
                       Time to Get Out - David Arnold - Quantum Of Solace
                       Aishiau Iru ka Moshikashii - Miura Hidemi - Cyber City OEDO 808
                       A Dark Knight - Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard  - The Dark Knight
                       Time - Hans Zimmer - Inception
                       Auto Rock - Mogwai - Miami Vice (2006)
                       A-500 - Klaus Badelt & Mark Batson - Miami Vice (2006)
                       Enterprising Young Men - Michael Giacchino - Star Trek (2009)
                       Wonderful Days Theme I (Trailer Version) - From movie "Sky Blue" aka " Wonderful Days" South Korean Animation (2004)
                       Wonderful Days Theme III (Piano Version) - From movie "Sky Blue" aka " Wonderful Days" South Korean Animation (2004)
                       Wonderful Days Main Theme  - From movie "Sky Blue" aka " Wonderful Days" South Korean Animation (2004)
                       Promentory - Trevor Jones & Randy Edelman -  The Last of The Mohicans

JAZZ

Moanin' - Charles Mingus - Blues & Roots
                       Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting - Charles Mingus - Blues & Roots
                       Spiritual (C) - John Coltrane - The Complete 1961 Village Vanguard Recordings
                       Jelly, Jelly - Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra - They Came To Swing
                       In a Sentimental Mood - Duke Ellington - Supreme Jazz (2006) 
                       In a Sentimental Mood - Duke Ellington & John Coltrane - Love Jones (Soundtrack)
                       Man from Monterey - Dizzy Gillespie & James Moody - with Gil Fuller & The Monterey Jazz Festival Orchestra
                       Fiddler On The Roof - Cannonball Adderley - Fiddler on The Roof
                       Sewing Machine - Cannonball Adderley - Fiddler On The Roof
                       The Gigolo - Lee Morgan - The Gigolo (1965)
                       Killer Joe - The Jazztet -  Meet the Jazztet
                       Garvey's Ghost - Max Roach - Percussion Bitter Sweet

Rock

Moon in Scorpio - Family Stand - Moon in Scorpio
                       New World Order - Family Stand - Moon in Scorpio
                       Postman - Living Colour - Stain
                       Numb - Gary Clark Jr. - Blak and Blu
                       I Must Go On - 24-7 Spyz - Harder Than You
                       Jungle Boogie - 24-7 Spyz - Harder Than You
                       Sunless Saturday - Fishbone - Fishbone 101 Nuttasaurusmeg Fossil Fuelin' the Fonkay
                       Freddie's Dead - Fishbone - Fishbone 101 Nuttasaurusmeg Fossil Fuelin' the Fonkay

Peace... 
L3000.gif

Aug 13, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #148 of 482
Wow! this thread is pushing 10 years old. many of the titles listed are, in fact, very good. However, I believe if you're interest is in listening to how
a headphone really performs, test tracks and a musical selection intended for just that purpose is your best measuring tool. I suggest this.......

this album is on spotify for those  dont need more than 320kps

Nov 11, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #149 of 482
Stuck at home with some winter flu/cold/bug thing. Which means sleep interspersed with listening.

Got a Qobuz subscription recently and having good fun listening to albums I wouldn't otherwise sample. The marketing spin is that it is CD quality, which potentially means 2 or more people could share recommendations & listen to the same file in pretty much real time.

All that out of the way;
Ballake Sissoko 's album At Peace features a track Maimouna which is worth a listen for those liking percussive stringed instruments, big range from low bass to higher notes and sensation of the finger plucks. Low on sonic complexity, good on impact, one for those of you who appreciate string quartets and solo acoustic material. He is playing a kora and Wikipedia and others tell me he has worked with Toumani Diabate. Diabate's Djelika (from King of the Kora disc 2) is a kora led quartet (quintet?). Well worth a listen & on Qobuz. 

Nov 28, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #150 of 482
Want some good stuff:

Channels - Open EP (Good luck finding this) [Just use Spotify on your computer since it doesn't sound schiity]
Rammstein - Herzeleid (Its a german band)
Deftones - Koi No Yokan (HDTracks)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back