The Best Amp's for AKG 1000's
Jul 6, 2003 at 8:18 PM Post #17 of 39
I am driving my K1000s with my Cj priemeir 12 monoblocks 140 watt per channel. Here is a pic of the system.
attachment.php

Jul 6, 2003 at 8:57 PM Post #18 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by bozebuttons
I am driving my K1000s with my Cj priemeir 12 monoblocks 140 watt per channel.

Them's the one's I wuz talkin' about
k1000smile.gif
!

Jul 6, 2003 at 9:01 PM Post #19 of 39
Best amp i've heard with them was a conrad johnson CJ-55.

Honestly, go with a speaker amp. You'll get more use out of it in the long term than you ever will with a headphone amp.

Jul 6, 2003 at 9:28 PM Post #20 of 39
For the budget / bang for buck oriented, the nOrh SE9 is pretty good especially when you swap out with good tubes.

Jul 6, 2003 at 10:19 PM Post #21 of 39
I have tried it out of the MF A3^CR pre/power combo, and it sounds mighty find. Also sounds damn good out of Kenwood RD-VH7

Jul 7, 2003 at 7:14 PM Post #23 of 39
Hmmm....how would one, um, go about connecting the AKGs to an RKVII assuming, of course, one might be inclined to do so?? Kinda curious what the 1000s would sound like with my RKV, compared with Senn 600s currently being employed.
And just in case the fever refuses to abate, where might one purchase the AKGs for a good price - assuming of course that one would be inclined to do so?

Jul 7, 2003 at 7:35 PM Post #24 of 39
Quote:

how would one, um, go about connecting the AKGs to an RKVII

You have to terminate the 4-wire extension cable to a 1/4" headphone stereo adapter plug, as that is the only kind of headphone-out on the RKV. Well worth the effort.

You do not want to use the terminals on the Impedanzer.

Jul 8, 2003 at 12:20 AM Post #25 of 39
Headroom has a good price on K1000s. You could save a few bucks on Ebay but you might lose warranty and most likely 30 day trial period. My set from Headroom came with the 1/4 plug already. My experiences with Headroom have been first rate.

Jul 8, 2003 at 1:45 AM Post #26 of 39
Has anyone by any chance compared the 600s & 1000s with the RKV? I'd love to know if it's worth the additional investment.
The fact that Headroom ships 'em with the 1/4" termination is a mighty plus.....tempted....

Jul 8, 2003 at 2:46 AM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by WIJGALT
Has anyone by any chance compared the 600s & 1000s with the RKV? I'd love to know if it's worth the additional investment.
The fact that Headroom ships 'em with the 1/4" termination is a mighty plus.....tempted....

I've used them both with an RKV. The HD-600 and K-1000 are such different headphones that I'm not sure what a comparison would indicate. I no longer have an RKV, so I can't try it again. However, there seemed to be a serious synergy between the K-1000 and RKV, and I miss it. I may wind up with another RKV yet...
tongue.gif

Jul 8, 2003 at 6:47 AM Post #28 of 39
Hi,

I recommend against using headphone jacks for K1000.

First, K1000 require more power than a jack offer.

Second, you are throwing away all the goodness of having BALANCED input headphones. I would go out of the way to get a great low power (10~20W) speaker amp just to drive K1000. (I am thinking Pass Amp.)

K1000 isn't really designed for headphone output. (Repeating once again)

T

Jul 8, 2003 at 1:43 PM Post #29 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by Tomo
I recommend against using headphone jacks for K1000.

First, K1000 require more power than a jack offer.

Second, you are throwing away all the goodness of having BALANCED input headphones. I would go out of the way to get a great low power (10~20W) speaker amp just to drive K1000. (I am thinking Pass Amp.)

K1000 isn't really designed for headphone output. (Repeating once again)

T

The power depends on the amp, not the jack. The RKV has plenty of power for the K-1000 out of a headphone jack. So does my modded SHA-1.

The K-1000 is not a balanced headphone. It is simply dual mono. Any amp that used a common ground for both speaker channels would have exactly the same effect as combining the grounds at the headphone jack (many of them, including very good ones, do this).

There's absolutely no reason not to use a headphone jack with the K-1000 if it has the power to drive it, unless you actually have a true dual mono amp that keeps the grounds separate (and the amp sounds better than your headphone jack
tongue.gif
)

Jul 8, 2003 at 4:54 PM Post #30 of 39
Hey,

I think K1000 has balanced inputs. Two transducers have individual pair of inputs. And I would use it with balanced output amplifier. If your amp has ground all connected, it wouldn't do you any good though.

I think it is wonderful because now the output doesn't have to be referenced to ground. The signal is the difference between two output poles.

Yeah, you already own an expensive headphone amp, it is not worth getting a whole new set. I wouldn't go for K1000, if I had HD600 with an awesome amp or STAX with OMEGA or something anyway.

T

P.S. Some dude did a small calculations and he said K100 require huge voltage swing. I can't confirm this. Induge me if you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back