The Best Amp's for AKG 1000's
Jul 9, 2003 at 11:15 AM Post #31 of 39
Quote:

And I would use it with balanced output amplifier. If your amp has ground all connected, it wouldn't do you any good though.

As a generalization, yes, that's true. However, some common-ground amps are better than others.

Quote:

Some dude did a small calculations and he said K100 require huge voltage swing. I can't confirm this. Induge me if you can.

I'm not that dude but I can do the calculation. The phones are 74dB/mW, so they need about 41mW to reach 90dB, the loudest you should listen. Into 120 ohms, P=IIR says you need 18mA. Ohm's law says you get that at 2.2Vrms. 18mA at 2.2V is beyond the abilties some portable amps, but most anything else should be able to achieve these specs.

Now, if you wish to listen at over 90dB SPL, the numbers start getting insane. Just 3dB higher, and it's now 26mA at 3Vrms. That's almost 9V peak-to-peak, so now you're outside the range of almost any amp powered from 9V, which eliminates some of the better portables. You can see how this starts to take off into the stratosphere.

Jul 13, 2003 at 7:26 PM Post #32 of 39
I own both the Audio Valve RKV and the Norh SE-9, and I prefer the RKV with the AKG K-1000s by a mile!

To be more precise about all this, my RKV has 4 German-made, high-quality Telefunken PCL-805 tubes in it! These tubes do make a difference.

Here's the grades...
--RKV with Telefunken tubes = A+
--Norh SE-9 = B-

Sep 21, 2003 at 3:44 AM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by Schizorabbit
I've heard that this particular set of headphones is rather picky about which amp's it works great with and which amps only perform mediocre when paired with the 1000's. So i was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

Hello,

I'm planning to get a set of AKG K-1000's. For now I would be using my Headroom Cosmic w/Ref Module + Base Station 1. My listening is almost exclusively classical. How well (or not) would this combination work?

Many thanks,

AM
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 21, 2003 at 4:50 AM Post #34 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by amadeus-mozart
Hello,

I'm planning to get a set of AKG K-1000's. For now I would be using my Headroom Cosmic w/Ref Module + Base Station 1. My listening is almost exclusively classical. How well (or not) would this combination work?

Many thanks,

AM
smily_headphones1.gif

It would work poorly, if at all. The K-1000 really needs a speaker amp to be driven properly. Very few headphone amps have enough power to drive them correctly. The AudioValve RKV can do it, as can the Grace 901 (reportedly). I've also used a modified Melos SHA-1 to drive a K-1000. However, the Cosmic is not going to have the output of any of those amps.

Sep 21, 2003 at 5:08 AM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

the Cosmic is not going to have the output of any of those amps.

I agree with Hirsch. At one time I plugged my K1000s into my Max, it sounded dull. I tried the PreHead, same results, dull and lifeless. If the Max and/or the PreHead cannot drive them, I seriously doubt the Cosmic will.

Sep 21, 2003 at 3:45 PM Post #36 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
It would work poorly, if at all. The K-1000 really needs a speaker amp to be driven properly. Very few headphone amps have enough power to drive them correctly. The AudioValve RKV can do it, as can the Grace 901 (reportedly). I've also used a modified Melos SHA-1 to drive a K-1000. However, the Cosmic is not going to have the output of any of those amps.

Thanks guys- I appreciate the advice. Given the difficulty of driving the K-1000s, would it be a significant improvement over my Grado RS-1's and AKG K501s? The reason I ask this is that I saw a review which indicated you would still get the great K-1000 sound just not full volume. Is this not true?

Thanks,

AM
confused.gif

Sep 21, 2003 at 5:27 PM Post #37 of 39
Hi,

I have auditioned K1000 and written a review for Epinions.com.

According to my memo when I written the review, the external sound leakage is significant with K1000. If I were you, I will try to get a set up which can drive it at EAR-SPLITTING volume at 50%~~75% of its maximum capacity at least.

Note lastly, that one of the benefit of using K1000 is that it takes BALANCED signals. So ground is not shared between channel. Also, the signals do not go through the supply line or the ground. This reduces oscillation and noise level significantly.**

Tomo

** This inherent advantage is the primarily reason for HeadRoom to manufacture BlockHead and HD580/600 balanced cables. Ask Todd if you want he will probably tell you the same.

Sep 21, 2003 at 9:54 PM Post #38 of 39
Quote:

Given the difficulty of driving the K-1000s, would it be a signicant improvement over my Grado RS-1's and AKG K501s?

I've seen reports that a Melos is just fine, only as you say, quieter. I tried it three or four months ago (my gear gets delivered to the new house this morning, finally!) and it seemed OK to me then also.

But even if you had the ideal amplifier for K1000 there is no way to say whether it would be a significant improvement over RS-1s or K501s. For me I think it would be although I haven't spend enough time with RS-1s to be 100% sure. All these phones have their own character and there is no way to say whether you'll like them better. There are very few people who think K1000s sound terrible but they exist (and more who think they are at or near the pinnacle of headphone performance), and I know a couple of people here prefer RS-1s. You've got to try them yourself. Always use a retailer with a good return policy, or hold off buying until you can make it to a head-fi meet.

Sep 21, 2003 at 10:02 PM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by WIJGALT
Has anyone by any chance compared the 600s & 1000s with the RKV? I'd love to know if it's worth the additional investment.
The fact that Headroom ships 'em with the 1/4" termination is a mighty plus.....tempted....

I've been using smurfed HD600s and K1000s with my RKV MkII now for over a year upstairs. Both are very pleasant combinations. I would not want to get rid of either (although the DT880s departed after only a short time).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back