The Beresford is soundly beaten...
Jan 22, 2008 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

TR909

Head-Fier
Well after owning the "better than any dac ever under $5,000" Beresford since October and now the Pico I must say I'm a bit confused. I was led to believe my Beresford would destroy any dac sound unheard costings several thousands more. Imagine my dismay when I connected the Pico and realized every single aspect of the sound out of my pc was improved to the point where I couldn't leave my seat for several hours. How could this tiny little box be producing such spacious, mellifluous sound? Where was the high end glare I've become accustomed to coming out of the Beresford? The sheen? I'm at a loss for words here, clearly.

Jan 22, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #3 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by TR909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well after owning the "better than any dac ever under $5,000" Beresford since October and now the Pico I must say I'm a bit confused. I was led to believe my Beresford would destroy any dac sound unheard costings several thousands more. Imagine my dismay when I connected the Pico and realized every single aspect of the sound out of my pc was improved to the point where I couldn't leave my seat for several hours. How could this tiny little box be producing such spacious, mellifluous sound? Where was the high end glare I've become accustomed to coming out of the Beresford? The sheen? I'm at a loss for words here, clearly.

Here's trouble brewing. Where is Herandu?
evil_smiley.gif

cheers
Simon

Jan 22, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #4 of 32
Saying any amp/dac can beat any amp/dac is simply an illusion. The fact is new amps/DACs come out everyday and are ready to challenge the existing market for either value or performance, or both. The Pico is a $500+ product and the Beresford is half of its price. One thing you can say for sure tho, for its price, the Beresford is indeed a very nice sounding dac. As for the Pico, i have not heard it so i cannot say. However, any attempt for a smear campaign or an effort to hot sell is simply non-beneficial to consumers and audiophiles. You people should know well by now that in the world of audio, there is no such a thing as "the best sounding product."

Jan 22, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #5 of 32
I have no intention of beginning a smear campaign whatsoever. I agree that it sounds very nice for the price, never said otherwise. I am, in my own lighthearted way, attempting to temper so much of the rabid hyperbole out there regarding the Beresford, especially when much of it is based on pure conjecture and no actual listening. Often times it's mentioned in a thread out of context and it gets annoying. I have no interest in being a pico fanboy either, I simply now know there is an option under the $1000 mark, that to my ears, unmistakably sounds better than the Beresford.

Jan 23, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Pico is a $500+ product and the Beresford is half of its price. One thing you can say for sure tho, for its price, the Beresford is indeed a very nice sounding dac.

Actually the Beresford is one third the price(cable included) and it does sound pretty darn good.

Jan 23, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turn&cough /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually the Beresford is one third the price(cable included) and it does sound pretty darn good.

I stand corrected.

There will always be fanboys of a product. Going back sometime I remember someone posting their experience with a $200 Emu 0404usb DAC/amp/preamp, and said that after spending thousands dollars on searching for the best equipment, he finally ended up selling everything and keeping the EMU. Everyone has their opinion and it should be known by now that opinions are always subjective and biased.

I find the Beresford to be much forgiving on the source of recording. They can make some bad MP3 files sound really good.

Jan 24, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by TR909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Whilst I wouldn't dream of defending the stupid hyperbole blurted by Herandu, be aware that it could be something as simple as system synergy. If the pico is more laid back in it's approach, that might sit better if for example you have say a fairly forward pair of speakers.
Having said all of that, I still go with my previous comments on the 7510, i.e. that the functionality is great, and the sound is good, but not really capable of outperforming good high end gear.

Jan 28, 2008 at 10:53 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pieman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's trouble brewing. Where is Herandu?
evil_smiley.gif

cheers
Simon

All counted and present
biggrin.gif
. Had to go on a company business trip and the new company policy says that I can't use their laptop any more to access forums etc.
mad.gif
I picked up a K701 on my trip, and I was shocked it was no match for my HD650. Got a lovely new headphone amp prototype as well to test. More about that in the headphone section.

But I digress. The fact of the matter is that IMHO if anyone finds a DAC that they are happy with, no matter if it cost just 2 cents, then that is a good results. The opinions expressed here on head-fi are merely a guide to assist those who are looking for info or guidance. After a nice visit to a certain factory as a guest, I am of the opinion that the TC-7510 as is has been built to a price and performance level. The basic engine block has immense scope for further expansion. The standard unit is without any question a fantastic piece of kit for the price. Just imagine another level of performance upgrade at a higher price level and the basic DAC would be a lot more acceptable to those looking for style and content. As it is, there are few who would say in all honesty that the level of performance and price level the TC-7510 has introduced to the market has not been a good thing. As mentioned by even the most ardent of non-TC-7510 fan, the DAC is outstanding for its price level and beats many outside of it. But there are other choices, and synergy of any component in a system is of priority to everyone.

Jan 28, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All counted and present
biggrin.gif
. Had to go on a company business trip and the new company policy says that I can't use their laptop any more to access forums etc.
mad.gif
I picked up a K701 on my trip, and I was shocked it was no match for my HD650. Got a lovely new headphone amp prototype as well to test. More about that in the headphone section.

But I digress. The fact of the matter is that IMHO if anyone finds a DAC that they are happy with, no matter if it cost just 2 cents, then that is a good results. The opinions expressed here on head-fi are merely a guide to assist those who are looking for info or guidance. After a nice visit to a certain factory as a guest, I am of the opinion that the TC-7510 as is has been built to a price and performance level. The basic engine block has immense scope for further expansion. The standard unit is without any question a fantastic piece of kit for the price. Just imagine another level of performance upgrade at a higher price level and the basic DAC would be a lot more acceptable to those looking for style and content. As it is, there are few who would say in all honesty that the level of performance and price level the TC-7510 has introduced to the market has not been a good thing. As mentioned by even the most ardent of non-TC-7510 fan, the DAC is outstanding for its price level and beats many outside of it. But there are other choices, and synergy of any component in a system is of priority to everyone.

a very reasoned and reasonable statement here. totally agree. i love my pico but there's no reason to think that the beresford isn't a very good DAC, either (though i've never heard one).

Jan 28, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #11 of 32
I wuv my beresford too. I would pretty much EXPECT the Pico to be better though, at that price. Would be a worry if it wasn't...

Jan 28, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wuv my beresford too. I would pretty much EXPECT the Pico to be better though, at that price. Would be a worry if it wasn't...

Your comment looks like it was from a "Grown-up". You're getting way more mature than many of us.
wink.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #13 of 32
I now can compare my Lavry to the Beresford with some considered conclusion. The Beresford is a DAC that has color to it. It seems to smooth the sound. I think this comes from the 8x oversampling. It is not what I would call neutral but it is enjoyable with the right headphone. I like to use it with my ESW9.

My Lavry is very neutral without sounding harsh or smoothing out the sound like the Beresford. The Lavry feeds my Ultrasone Edition 9 very well for highest level of performance.

Both these combinations are enjoyable but the Lavry is by far the best sounding DAC since I want my DAC to be neutral.

On poorly recording and poorly mixed music the Beresford sounds better since it covers a host of mistakes. If you want revealing go with my Lavry.

Jan 29, 2008 at 7:09 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All counted and present
biggrin.gif
mad.gif

You had a company business trip to the manufacturer of the 7510. That's cool. What's the place like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back