The Beresford is soundly beaten...
Jan 29, 2008 at 12:11 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Sukebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You had a company business trip to the manufacturer of the 7510. That's cool. What's the place like?

I don't think he actually said that he went to the factory on business ...only that he had been on a business trip and had visited the site whilst on the trip.

As for Herandu appearing on every Beresford thread....well has no-one noticed that Mr Sukebe does the same...maybe they are the same individual with a split personality?....either that or Mr Sukebe just likes winding up Herandu....whatever it is it's getting boring watching Sukebe bicker with the pleasant enough Herandu.

Jan 29, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by tinder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think he actually said that he went to the factory on business ...only that he had been on a business trip and had visited the site whilst on the trip.

As for Herandu appearing on every Beresford thread....well has no-one noticed that Mr Sukebe does the same...maybe they are the same individual with a split personality?....either that or Mr Sukebe just likes winding up Herandu....whatever it is it's getting boring watching Sukebe bicker with the pleasant enough Herandu.

???
I did think that I'd asked a civil question as a response to a civil statement from Herandu.
As an ex engineer (not electronics) and now IT person, high technology manufacturing kind of appeals to the "boys toys" side of me. So I was curious about the place. It's quite clear that Herandu is long experienced with electronics and I was hoping that he could tell us more.

Regarding my comments on the Beresford 7510 DAC threads. This is a forum, and I don't believe that I've written anything that others haven't also noticed, i.e. I've always maintained that for the price that it's a good unit, with very good functionality.

If you believe that I've been out of order with any of my previous posts about the way that Herandu has "over egged" the 7510, then don't muck about, take it to a moderator for him to comment upon.

Feb 18, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #19 of 32
^ thats what I was thinking too. Its kinda an apple to oranges comparison. The Beresford is a DAC, sure some may use the HP out but not many. To me it is a stand alone DAC that needs an Amp to shine. The pico is both. So its very hard to compare them as is.

Feb 18, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I now can compare my Lavry to the Beresford with some considered conclusion. The Beresford is a DAC that has color to it. It seems to smooth the sound. I think this comes from the 8x oversampling.

All of Lavry's DACs oversample along with the vast majority of current DACs. In addition to oversampling, the Lavry also performs sample rate conversion to arbitrary rates (i.e. upsampling), much like the Benchmark DAC1. So, the differences between the DACs must be due to something else--probably superior parts selection and design in the Lavry.

Feb 18, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, the differences between the DACs must be due to something else--probably superior parts selection and design in the Lavry.

Was the Lavry mentioned to be sounding better or worse in the comments you quoted?

Feb 18, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was the Lavry mentioned to be sounding better or worse in the comments you quoted?

In post #13, slwiser said, "Both these combinations are enjoyable but the Lavry is by far the best sounding DAC since I want my DAC to be neutral."

Feb 19, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

I now can compare my Lavry to the Beresford with some considered conclusion. The Beresford is a DAC that has color to it. It seems to smooth the sound. I think this comes from the 8x oversampling. It is not what I would call neutral but it is enjoyable with the right headphone. I like to use it with my ESW9.

My Lavry is very neutral without sounding harsh or smoothing out the sound like the Beresford. The Lavry feeds my Ultrasone Edition 9 very well for highest level of performance.

Both these combinations are enjoyable but the Lavry is by far the best sounding DAC since I want my DAC to be neutral.

On poorly recording and poorly mixed music the Beresford sounds better since it covers a host of mistakes. If you want revealing go with my Lavry.

How large of a difference in performance are we talking here? I am asking because I am in the market for a dac, but if the differences between some of the higher end dac's and the beresford are not significant I may go something in the $500 range instead.

Feb 25, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How large of a difference in performance are we talking here? I am asking because I am in the market for a dac, but if the differences between some of the higher end dac's and the beresford are not significant I may go something in the $500 range instead.

bump?

Feb 25, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a very reasoned and reasonable statement here. totally agree. i love my pico but there's no reason to think that the beresford isn't a very good DAC, either (though i've never heard one).

yeh thats right, just because someone dislikes it personally, doesn't mean i wont like it. Reviews help but they are not the be all and end all of a product! What i don't think helps is the fact that when someone buys an extremely expensive piece of kit, the attitude of "it must be good because it's expansive and therefore better than all cheaper equipment". I think there's far too many people have this approach.

Feb 25, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

I just don't think this is a meaningful question from my perspective and that is why this question can not be answered. What do you like a colored sound? Neutral? Wide soundstage? 3D sound? What? Have you listened enough to various sources to determine if you can determine a "how large a difference" between sources are to know what you want to hear as a performance difference?

How much difference is there between a English Scottie and another type Scottie bread for a somewhere else? To the breeder there is a world of difference. To the person wanting a lap dog probably nothing.

Now the Beresfrod does the work of a DAC the same as an Lavry but the differences to me are very clear. The Beresford has a place as does the Lavry. You have to determine if those differences have the "difference" you need for the additional investment. For me to go above and beyond my Lavry is getting into performance areas that I am failing to appreciate whereas others do appreciate those differences and can justify additional investment beyond the price of the Lavry.

Good luck in finding an answer to your question.

Feb 25, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

I just don't think this is a meaningful question from my perspective and that is why this question can not be answered. What do you like a colored sound? Neutral? Wide soundstage? 3D sound? What? Have you listened enough to various sources to determine if you can determine a "how large a difference" between sources are to know what you want to hear as a performance difference?

How much difference is there between a English Scottie and another type Scottie bread for a somewhere else? To the breeder there is a world of difference. To the person wanting a lap dog probably nothing.

Now the Beresfrod does the work of a DAC the same as an Lavry but the differences to me are very clear. The Beresford has a place as does the Lavry.

Good luck in finding an answer to your question.

There is a difference between just sounding different, than sounding technically better. I am not talking about differences in preference such as warmth/nuetrality/bright/transparent.

I meant is the lavry much more technically better to justify me jumping ship in regards to it's technical performance(not sound preferences).
smily_headphones1.gif
Does it resolve more detail? Is it more dynamic? Does it have wider/larger soundstage? I am sure that the answer is yes, but what I am trying to figure out is if these differences are large or subtle. If you are saying that the difference ultimately comes down to preference and the lavry does not outperform the beresford greatly then I'm going to stick with it and instead ad a pair of hd650/equinox.

Quote:

You have to determine if those differences have the "difference" you need for the additional investment.

This was my point of asking the question. Of course I should use my own ears, but I need to do research before dropping the $$.
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

I meant is the lavry much more technically better to justify me jumping ship in regards to it's technical performance(not sound preferences).
smily_headphones1.gif
Does it resolve more detail? Is it more dynamic? Does it have wider/larger soundstage? I am sure that the answer is yes, but what I am trying to figure out is if these differences are large or subtle.

Yes on all accounts but is it worth the difference?To me yes.

This was my point of asking the question. Of course I should use my own ears, but I need to do research before dropping the $$.
biggrin.gif

Yes dropping the money is always the big issue.

Feb 25, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #29 of 32
Just looking at specs, the Lavry is much better. Other than that, you won't have any way to decide which you prefer without determining which sounds better to you. Some people might prefer the Beresford even though it has worse specs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back