The Beatles, which album next?
Aug 4, 2010 at 12:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

thornygravy

100+ Head-Fier
Hello there..

I'm 18, and a bit closed minded.. As you could imagine, I never really payed any attention to the Beatles until I found out that Charles Manson was obsessed with The White Album. After listening to it, I understood why. I'd heard people rave about Sgt. Peppers, so I went out and bought it, loved it.

So.. I'm looking to buy my third Beatle album and I'm torn..

I really don't enjoy their early work that much. I like their more experimental sound. I was thinking I would enjoy maybe Revolver or Magical Mystery Tour. Or maybe you guy have some other request? I have to say I like The White Album better than Sgt. Peppers, but I still think Sgt. Peppers is pretty damn good.

At this point I'm learning towards Revolver because some of the songs on Magical Mystery Tour I don't really like, Penny Lane, All You Need is Love.. etc. I've just heard them way too many times on the radio.

Aug 4, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #3 of 26
There was a similar(ish) question not so long ago here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/491573/the-beatles-noob-best-album-to-start-with

Apart from that, I agree with GiantSeaPanda, with the following qualifications: Revolver was one of their biggest jumps in experimental progress, but still has some of their older-style raw presentation about it. Abbey Road wasn't particularly experimental - just a great album and is more modern sounding than Revolver.

I'll echo the advice I gave in the above link: get them chronologically to see how they progressed, starting with Rubber Soul or Revolver. (Rubber Soul doesn't sound at all experimental now - until you compare it to their previous releases).

Aug 4, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #5 of 26
It doesn't get much better than the White Album sorry.
frown.gif

But I will say, don't discount Magical Mystery Tour cause you don't like a couple songs... I used to change the song after the first couple of seconds on tracks like Penny Lane and All You Need Is Love and after actually listening enjoyed them. Past Masters is a really good album as well.

Aug 4, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #6 of 26
I'd say Revolver, but since I'm ultimately a blues fan, my taste in the Beatles is probably different than many who've responded thus far. For me, Rubber Soul is where it's at.

Aug 4, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #10 of 26
My Favorite is1) Abbey Road, 2)White LP, 3) Pepper, 4) Magical Mystery Tour, 5) Rubber Soul, 6) Yesterday and Today, 7) Let It Be....then all the others....Can you tell the Beatles changed my life........for the better!  Also Grab George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass"

Aug 4, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #11 of 26

Quote:
Hello there..

I'm 18, and a bit closed minded.. As you could imagine, I never really payed any attention to the Beatles until I found out that Charles Manson was obsessed with The White Album. After listening to it, I understood why. I'd heard people rave about Sgt. Peppers, so I went out and bought it, loved it.

So.. I'm looking to buy my third Beatle album and I'm torn..

I really don't enjoy their early work that much. I like their more experimental sound. I was thinking I would enjoy maybe Revolver or Magical Mystery Tour. Or maybe you guy have some other request? I have to say I like The White Album better than Sgt. Peppers, but I still think Sgt. Peppers is pretty damn good.

At this point I'm learning towards Revolver because some of the songs on Magical Mystery Tour I don't really like, Penny Lane, All You Need is Love.. etc. I've just heard them way too many times on the radio.

After carefully reading your post, I would recommend, without doubt, that your next Beatles album should be "Abbey Road." Trust me on this! 
biggrin.gif

Aug 5, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #12 of 26
I think Rubber Soul and Revolver are interchangeable...could've been a double album.

Aug 6, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #13 of 26
I disagree. Rubber Soul is a lot more folky and Revolver is a lot more mixed. If the white album had been reduced to one album as George Martin insisted it may as well have been called "Revolver II".

Aug 6, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #14 of 26
While my favourites are Abbey Road and White album, none of the Beatle's albums are actually bad, and in my opinion any of their albums is a good starting/continuing position for people to get into their music.

Warning: Anything is good, EXCEPT Yellow Submarine. There's like what? 6 actual song in there?

Aug 6, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #15 of 26

Quote:
I disagree. Rubber Soul is a lot more folky and Revolver is a lot more mixed. If the white album had been reduced to one album as George Martin insisted it may as well have been called "Revolver II".

For the record, I'm talking the UK version of Rubber Soul.  IMO it was a clear departure from their first four albums.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back