The Bealtes - new Box set out for per-order now !!!
Aug 15, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #91 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by White_Noise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Argh, I'm more than a little pissed off right now. I'm a fanatical Beatles fan. I own CD and vinyl copies of all of their albums, including the rarer ones like the mono vinyl of Sgt. Pepper. I've really been looking forward to these remasters for five years. I've had a busy summer, and haven't been neurotically following the pre-release date for the mono box set by hitting f5 on the amazon page every 5 mins in July. As much as I was anticipating the box set, I somehow missed that fact that only 10,000 copies of the mono box set would be released (considering that this is The Beatles, 100,000 copies would have been a ridiculously low print number, nevermind 10,000.)

So now if I want the mono versions of the recordings, my only option is to pay $500 ordering it off ebay? Thrilling. I'd rather pay $500 for a glock and rob someone of the set
angry_face.gif

This is all completely my fault for spacing out in July and words cannot express how pissed off I am at myself. Guess I'll ask for the stereo box set for Christmas or something. The significance of the mono releases are somewhat overplayed, but still.

How much do you guys think this mono set is going to be selling for in two years? I can't even imagine.

You can get both the Japanese set with the OBI and the US set from Amazon.co.jp. I checked and they will ship to North America. The OBI set is around $420 including shipping but I imagine you'll have to pay a duty.

As I mentioned previously, the Beatles Official Store still has it available for $269 and after checking Google, other stores still have it for less than that. Also, it appears that 10,000 was just a number that was thrown around without any official confirmation. Here's all the info I could find on this so far, and I'm sure that the Steve Hoffman forums have more current info.

As for me, I think I've convinced myself to keep the Mono Box Set. Buying the additional albums isn't that major an expenditure, and as all the Mono sets are being produced in Japan, I suspect it will be higher in quality.

Aug 15, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #92 of 189
^The official Beatles store itself says that there are a limit of 10,000 and that they will be numbered. Either this is some kind of scummy marketing ploy and there will be much more than that, or I can't imagine how they plan on filling the orders. I'm sure much more than 10,000 have been sold by now.

So I'm going to order it from amazon.ca since my card won't be charged before it's shipped and I can wait for more info.

But in any case, thanks for the useful information.

Aug 16, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #93 of 189
More news, I hope this settles things a bit.

Exciting new details of Beatles Remasters announced in Chicago - BeatlesNews.com

Quote:

There are rumors that the mono box set will be limited to 10,000 units worldwide, but that is not true. The mono box set is only limited in that there are no future production runs planned. There should be sufficient copies available initially for those who want to buy it. But don't wait too long, because once it's gone, there are no plans for future manufacture. To play it safe, you can pre-order from places like Amazon, Borders, Barnes & Noble or Best Buy.

Aug 16, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #94 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe that's why the mono boxes were sold as limited edition for a high price- you can't download the box and the digipaks.

Ten years ago I tossed all my CD boxes and started saving them in folders and on spindles. If I had a box for every cd I own, I'd have no place for my bed.

Aug 16, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #95 of 189
bigsmile_face.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ten years ago I tossed all my CD boxes and started saving them in folders and on spindles. If I had a box for every cd I own, I'd have no place for my bed.

Good on you! You got your priorities right. The music is the most important thing (the bed too
wink_face.gif
), not the packaging.

Aug 21, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #98 of 189
If you still want to buy it from Amazon, you can order from Amazon.ca and they'll ship to the United States. Of course, there might be a duty, and the Canadian prices are always higher than those in the US after conversion. I'm not sure if the Canadian version will be numbered, but everything else should be the same.

Aug 21, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #99 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aslan123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you still want to buy it from Amazon, you can order from Amazon.ca and they'll ship to the United States. Of course, there might be a duty, and the Canadian prices are always higher than those in the US after conversion. I'm not sure if the Canadian version will be numbered, but everything else should be the same.

Except for the fact that it would be from Canada.
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #100 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh ****, that's a lot of money...much more than what I anticipated for some reason.
eek.gif

Wait til after the release, I'm sure the Amazon assiciate sellers will have it for less. And it won't be too long before you'll find them used at a lower price than new.

Aug 21, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #101 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by West726 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found a great blog with sound clip comparisons of the mono v. stereo versions of various tracks.

goodrob13.com - Rob’s video guitar lessons and music blog » The Beatles Mono vs. Stereo (Remastered CDs Coming Sept. 2009)

I don't think its been posted before -- if it has, ignore it; if not, enjoy. I'm interested to hear what people think.

Is what he's playing accurate? If so, I'm incredibly depressed. The harsh channel separation is still there. It was done in the 60s because they didn't know better. Now they DO. There is NO excuse for having brand new 2009 stereo remasters sound like they were done with the worst of 60s technology.

I'm not cancelling my preorder, but I'll have to obtain the Mono versions after the release date and listen to those instead.

Aug 22, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #104 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is what he's playing accurate? If so, I'm incredibly depressed. The harsh channel separation is still there. It was done in the 60s because they didn't know better. Now they DO. There is NO excuse for having brand new 2009 stereo remasters sound like they were done with the worst of 60s technology.

I'm not cancelling my preorder, but I'll have to obtain the Mono versions after the release date and listen to those instead.

I don't think he's using clips from the new remaster. He's using his own recordings. He said the 87 remixes. Speaking of the 87 remixes, everyone is pissed off at the steve hoffman forum that Help & Rubber Soul are being remastered from George Martins 87 DIGITAL remixes for these new remasters - NOT the original analogue master tapes.

Aug 22, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #105 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think he's using clips from the new remaster. He's using his own recordings. He said the 87 remixes. Speaking of the 87 remixes, everyone is pissed off at the steve hoffman forum that Help & Rubber Soul are being remastered from George Martins 87 DIGITAL remixes for these new remasters - NOT the original analogue master tapes.

Yeah, I saw some of that, too. Not quite sure it rises to the level of being "pissed" for me, but I am a bit surprised, and I guess, disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back