The Basshead Club
Oct 7, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #7,651 of 11,286
Any1 tested the "Boomphones" yet. May sound like another gimmick headphone but seems to sound at least decent while not having "Beats-like" bass but a bit less and much better bass quality. 

This is the first headphone to be able to go into "Boombox" mode by switching to another pair of speakers that are positioned on the back of the cups pointing outwards instead with a click of a button. When listening to it as a headphone it seems to isolate decently both outside and from inside though. It has a built in-amp and it has a rechargable battery that charges via USB and allows around 10 hrs (headphone mode) and 5 hrs boombox playtime. All this for $150. 

EDIT: it appearently can also be used as a portable amp. lol

http://www.boomphones.com/product/matte-black

Oct 7, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #7,653 of 11,286
  Any1 tested the "Boomphones" yet. May sound like another gimmick headphone but seems to sound at least decent while not having "Beats-like" bass but a bit less and much better bass quality. 

This is the first headphone to be able to go into "Boombox" mode by switching to another pair of speakers that are positioned on the back of the cups pointing outwards instead with a click of a button. When listening to it as a headphone it seems to isolate decently both outside and from inside though. It has a built in-amp and it has a rechargable battery that charges via USB and allows around 10 hrs (headphone mode) and 5 hrs boombox playtime. All this for $150. 

EDIT: it appearently can also be used as a portable amp. lol

http://www.boomphones.com/product/matte-black

lol what an off-putting term. When I hear boombox, quality bass is the last thing that comes to mind

Oct 7, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #7,655 of 11,286
Well, those Boomphones do look sexy I must admit. And of course there's no way they'd sound as good as they look. Are there any reviews of them here?

Oct 9, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #7,658 of 11,286
  A bass-heads thoughts on the "Mr Speakers Mad Dogs"?

I'm still after that super-flat bass response, so still looking at planar dynamic. These seem cheaper than the HE-400s.

Not a bass-head approved can... Sorry.

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #7,660 of 11,286
A bass-heads thoughts on the "Mr Speakers Mad Dogs"?

I'm still after that super-flat bass response, so still looking at planar dynamic. These seem cheaper than the HE-400s.

As gelocks said, not a basshead can. That said, I do have high hopes the AD, fed by a vintage amp, has enough to satisfy. Skeptical but hopeful. Yet not holding my breath.

Oct 9, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #7,662 of 11,286
Maybe for the flat-bass for under $500 seekers, the HE-400 is the way to go?

I have to admit, I'm still wary about pulling the trigger on the HE-400. Everytime I do, I worry about the reports of painful sibilance. 

I just want a headphone with great sub-bass, as well as mid-bass.

Oct 9, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #7,663 of 11,286

I have to admit, I'm still wary about pulling the trigger on the HE-400. Everytime I do, I worry about the reports of painful sibilance. 

IGNORE these reports, slap on the pleather pads and the Sibilance might disappear but REMEMBER there is a rumor or theory that sibilance is based on the shape of your ear, some people have an ear that resonnates with some high frequancies causing you to hear Sibilance, others [like my self] do not... that and I am a Treble head q.q 

Oct 9, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #7,664 of 11,286

Have you tried the M-100?  I just upgraded to their new XL pads and love the comfort and sonic changes.

Oct 9, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #7,665 of 11,286
I have been listening HE400 with velour pads and default cable for a year and I never heard any sibilance. I listened the he-400 a follow:

Deadbeef > STX > HE-400
Deadbeef > STX > EF-5 > HE-400
Deadbeef > STX (optical output) > NuForce DAC-100 > HE-400
Deadbeef > STX (optical output) > NuForce DAC-100 > EF-5 > HE-400
HM-602 > HE-400
AIMP3 > HM-602 (USB) > HE-400

for me, he-400 does the job very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back