The Basshead Club
Oct 9, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #7,681 of 11,286
Well I'm definitely not swimming with my clothes on.

In answer to your question, I'm sure you have come to the right place, to get some XB500 comparisons. 

Be patient, and the bass templars will come.

Oct 10, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #7,682 of 11,286
I'm not familiar with the sound of the XB500 but the Amperior, D2000, M100, M Audio Q40 are the few names always calls out here. I have heard the first three and they are bass heavy no doubt. Too much for me actually but I'm a mild basshead only.

Oct 10, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #7,683 of 11,286

i own an m-100 and dt 770 (its the 250 ohm version though) but i dont listen to the same music as you do, so im not too sure.

for edm, the m-100 are definitely a good option. q40 is also a good option recommended here often, but i have no personal experience to share. whats your budget?

Oct 10, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #7,685 of 11,286
Actually I don't think you'll find nothing with such big bass (and warm and muddy as hell) as the XB500s... Most of the bass-head cans usually recommended (M100, Q40s, etc.) are big bass capable but not like the XB500s... BUT BUT, they are all just better regarding clarity, detail, etc...

Oct 10, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #7,686 of 11,286
I need a closed version of my HE 400... any thoughts? Thinking D2 or D5k atm, but what ever I get I'd like to have at least as much sound stage as my Modded W1000x, or close to the K550 

Oct 10, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #7,687 of 11,286
Bear with me. Today is a bad bass day. Very bad. One of those days that you think to yourself, my toys are straight garbage and that's where all of it belongs! There. It's out so let me get to the point.

My problem is the puddle of mud called low-end coming from my DT 880 with J$ pads. Does anyone here actively use or know the combination? Now -to be clear- without the pads the 880's are not worthy to me, meaning tiny bass and completely out of the question listening to. But where I first was super happy with the results from these pads I am now crying. Maybe because I am listening to dub-techno more these days with it's deep bass which makes the mid-high spectrum take a seat or I have become more aware of what I like to hear. Whatever it is, too much of my music just sounds garbled to me. Ugly mushy €1 worth piece of kit. A little eq-ing does help but I think what I really ''need'' is a different headphone. I probably like the Amperior's signature most of the headphones I have heard for electronic music. It's sound is tight, hard hitting, no harshness to my ears with more than decent bass but, it does not reach deep. And bass must reach deep. That's what I want for my desktop setup (Uber-Bi/Valhalla). Ideas about what to look for? Someone described the HE-400 as ''audiophile bass''' which grabbed my attention but do the bassheads (up in heeere) feel that the HiFiman goes deep?

An other scenario that I thought of is trying out a brighter dac/amp like the o2 combo or magni/modi. Maybe that would counter the mud? Valhalla is a tube amp after all.

Oct 10, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #7,688 of 11,286
  Bear with me. Today is a bad bass day. Very bad. One of those days that you think to yourself, my toys are straight garbage and that's where all of it belongs! There. It's out so let me get to the point.

My problem is the puddle of mud called low-end coming from my DT 880 with J$ pads. Does anyone here actively use or know the combination? Now -to be clear- without the pads the 880's are not worthy to me, meaning tiny bass and completely out of the question listening to. But where I first was super happy with the results from these pads I am now crying. Maybe because I am listening to dub-techno more these days with it's deep bass which makes the mid-high spectrum take a seat or I have become more aware of what I like to hear. Whatever it is, too much of my music just sounds garbled to me. Ugly mushy €1 worth piece of kit. A little eq-ing does help but I think what I really ''need'' is a different headphone. I probably like the Amperior's signature most of the headphones I have heard for electronic music. It's sound is tight, hard hitting, no harshness to my ears with more than decent bass but, it does not reach deep. And bass must reach deep. That's want I want for my desktop setup (Uber-Bi/Valhalla). Ideas about what to look for? Someone described the HE-400 as ''audiophile bass''' which grabbed my attention but do the bassheads (up in heeere) feel that the HiFiman goes deep?

An other scenario that I thought of is trying out a brighter dac/amp like the o2 combo or magni/modi. Maybe that would counter the mud? Valhalla is a tube amp after all.

Save time and trouble, max out your credit card and go for the Ultrasone Signature DJ.

Oct 10, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #7,690 of 11,286
  Decisive answer! It's out of my monetary league though. Try half of that new price?

My "go to" in a mid-range closed portable that balances impactful bass with overall excellent SQ is always the M-100.  Another decisive answer
cool.gif

Oct 10, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #7,694 of 11,286
  Decisive answer! It's out of my monetary league though. Try half of that new price?

Ultrasone Pro900 is a great solution, to my ears just a bit better than the M-100 in bass.  Nothing touches Pro900 bass and I have an arsenal of bass weaponry................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back