The Basshead Club
Apr 16, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #6,001 of 11,286
Quote:
Anyone know of a headphone that punches as good (or better) than the DJ1, more comfortable, and less bright?  I HATE bright treble...hurts my ears, just like the headphones after a couple of hours.

The first headphones that poped up in my mind was the Pro700MK2 with M50/DT250 earpads.

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #6,002 of 11,286
Quote:

Hmm, I may be wrong, but I think you're the first person around here with the X10. If you have heard the XB800/900, how do they compare with the X10? Or any of the other XB models for that matter. Thanks!

I've not heard the XB800/900 but I've read that the X10 is likely a tuned variant of the XB800.  The X10 does not sound good really.  While the bass is...staggering the mids and highs are really really really supressed.  At first it was entertaining because I'd not heard headphone attempts at sub-bass radiation but its like listening to a subwoofer with really bad satellites.  So you have this sound like someone farting in your ears phhhhhh...phhhhh...phhhh.....phhhhhhh.... while the rest of the range is buffed out.  Its not really one-note bass but after hearing much clearer cans like the DT770 250 ohms I got at the same time the X10s are kind of depressing to listen to...and am really considering returning them.  I really do enjoy good bass.  I like it strong and staggering for when I am in the BassHead mood but I the X10 is really not a good headphone...its just wrong.  If burning in would give the mids and highs some...some semblance of clarity I'd have hope.  Fortunately, I bought them at Best Buy and I'm a Silver Premier Rewards Sucker so I get 60 days to try them out and burn them in and burn them in I will.

To be fair, out of the box treble-boosting equalization makes them more tolerable but again, after listening to other sets that have good clarity the X10 just sounds like sludge.  I read several reviews that said the X10s sounded better than the Beats Studios...not to my ears.

If the XB800/900 offer bass that drops into the depths of the abyss without sacrificing the rest of the frequency range then that's great...but if they sound like the X10 then its not my cup of tea.

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #6,003 of 11,286
Seconding this, I love mine, they still get ear time at home with HD598, DT770, and D2000 to compete with. They are my first recommendation to friends who just want a decent pair of headphones.
Quote:
Most Senns have very good balance. I'd look at the HD439. Outstanding for vocals and classic.

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #6,004 of 11,286
Yeah they make a good compliment to my LEs, they both have great bass but it's a different bass. The D2k bass is like my Klipsch Promedia system, smooth, deep and powerful with great rumble, while the LEs have more midbass and sound cleaner. The LEs are actually a lot like a more spacious, full-sized Westone 3.
Quote:
Yes they are, with awesome mids and highs. I may have found a successor to my Q-40's.
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #6,006 of 11,286
Question. Does anyone here know whether or not the Beyer DT-770 Velour pads will fit on the Pro700MK2? I've cotton modded my stock pads (stuffing cotton balls around the rim) which relieves the driver against the ear problem but the stiffness of the pads combined with the CLAMP makes them really uncomfortable over long periods.

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #6,007 of 11,286
Quote:
There's a good handful of headphones that shouldn't be on that list, the HFI-780 included. I've compared them to the M50s blue box, Pro700mk2, and my modified ad900 (ad2000 drivers with beyerdynamic gel earpads+cotton), and all of them put the 780s to shame, and it's not slight either. I couldn't get any bass out of the 780s unless I smashed the cups to my ears, and even then, there wasn't that much. Heck, even my coby earbuds sound better than the HFI-780s, and have more bass than them when you push the earbuds to your ears.

I wonder why Parall3l didn't update the OP with Malevolent's new list? The link on the OP is still showing the list from September 2012.

Do you think I should remove the HFI 780 from the list in my signature? I've heard them a few times, and the treble was more apparent than the bass every single time.

I'm also thinking to include the following cans -

JVC HA-S500
Reloop RHP-5
Sony X10

Any other headphones to add/remove?

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #6,008 of 11,286
Quote:
Anyone know of a headphone that punches as good (or better) than the DJ1, more comfortable, and less bright?  I HATE bright treble...hurts my ears, just like the headphones after a couple of hours.

Like Trae said, the PRO700MK2 is easily the first that comes to mind. The treble is well attenuated, bass is tight, punchy and has some good sub-bass rumble. Everything sounds a whole lot better once your bass boost with an amp/EQ.

Quote:
I've not heard the XB800/900 but I've read that the X10 is likely a tuned variant of the XB800.  The X10 does not sound good really.  While the bass is...staggering the mids and highs are really really really supressed.  At first it was entertaining because I'd not heard headphone attempts at sub-bass radiation but its like listening to a subwoofer with really bad satellites.  So you have this sound like someone farting in your ears phhhhhh...phhhhh...phhhh.....phhhhhhh.... while the rest of the range is buffed out.  Its not really one-note bass but after hearing much clearer cans like the DT770 250 ohms I got at the same time the X10s are kind of depressing to listen to...and am really considering returning them.  I really do enjoy good bass.  I like it strong and staggering for when I am in the BassHead mood but I the X10 is really not a good headphone...its just wrong.  If burning in would give the mids and highs some...some semblance of clarity I'd have hope.  Fortunately, I bought them at Best Buy and I'm a Silver Premier Rewards Sucker so I get 60 days to try them out and burn them in and burn them in I will.

To be fair, out of the box treble-boosting equalization makes them more tolerable but again, after listening to other sets that have good clarity the X10 just sounds like sludge.  I read several reviews that said the X10s sounded better than the Beats Studios...not to my ears.

If the XB800/900 offer bass that drops into the depths of the abyss without sacrificing the rest of the frequency range then that's great...but if they sound like the X10 then its not my cup of tea.

Well, I wonder if they tuned it to be better or worse? I haven't heard a whole lot of good for the X10; I reckon that it's because it's not marketed as an Extra Bass headphone; therefore, its target audience aren't expecting a bass cannon. On the other hand, the XB800/900 is the big brother of the current generation of XB cans, and rightfully carries the flag for huge bass.

Sony must have really missed the mark on the X10. What does Simon Cowell have to do with huge bass? 
rolleyes.gif

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #6,009 of 11,286
Quote:

Do you think I should remove the HFI 780 from the list in my signature? I've heard them a few times, and the treble was more apparent than the bass every single time.

I'm also thinking to include the following cans -

JVC HA-S500
Reloop RHP-5
Sony X10

Any other headphones to add/remove?

HA-S600

Apr 16, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #6,010 of 11,286
I am looking for a portable bass setup. What I have at home that will be going in it is my ZO. 

I am going to purchase all the other things, I am thinking quite a cheap setup. 

Clip +(rboxed),
I don't know if I need to double amp the ZO or not, suggestions?,
IEM's or portable headphones, suggestions. 

Budget is around $150 - $250. 

Bring the bass.

Apr 16, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #6,011 of 11,286
Get HA-S500, Citiscape Downtown, CAL! or HTF600. For these single AMP is plenty, 
or if you really want to spend more (my mentioned cans are one of the best bangs for a buck, they could easily cost twice as much), then get the Ultrasone PRO 900. 

BTW, if you are using EQ then XB500/XB1000 is always an option without any real bass canon alternatives.

Apr 16, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #6,013 of 11,286
Quote:
So after much reading I narrowed down my choices to 2 cans :the Logitech UE6000's and the Beyerdynamic 770 dt pro's.

These for the following reasons my ears are to big for the v-moda's cushions (ear heigth of 7.5cm) and the audio technica's or Sony's don't look good IMO :wink:

Now I got some little questions:
-Does the Logitech still gain from amping (got a fiio e11) Or will it make no diffrence.
-And which one scores better in your guys opinion. (Mostly listen to Drum and Bass(Neurofunk, Jump Up, Dark and Liquid), Dubstep(Bouncy: Requake and Old skool:Coki,Mala,DMZ))

V-Moda M-100, wait for the XL pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back