The Basshead Club
Sep 6, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #2,716 of 11,286
Quote:
My way of EQing is push all the bass settings to max or right before they distort, then I tweak the treble to where I like it.

LOL, does your EQ have a preamp slider?  Push that down to get more boosting headroom.  Otherwise you should push other sliders down instead of pushing bass sliders up to boost bass.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/626036/a-newbie-question-about-equalizing#post_8673567

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 6, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #2,717 of 11,286
Quote:

LOL, does your EQ have a preamp slider?  Push that down to get more boosting headroom.  Otherwise you should push other sliders down instead of pushing bass sliders up to boost bass.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/626036/a-newbie-question-about-equalizing#post_8673567

I use Comet Player most because the bass EQ on it really boosts the bottom bass well. Yes it does have a preamp slider but I could never get it figured out lol.

Sep 6, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #2,718 of 11,286
Hmmm... Just noticing that the Q-40s don't do too well with rock.  ANyone else have this problem?  It does well with bass songs but rock not so much umf.  

Edit:  I switched to my Sanza clip and I get the umf I like...MUHahahahahaaa...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #2,719 of 11,286
Quote:
Hmmm... Just noticing that the Q-40s don't do too well with rock.  ANyone else have this problem?  It does well with bass songs but rock not so much umf.  

Edit:  I switched to my Sanza clip and I get the umf I like...MUHahahahahaaa...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Yea Q40 are very picky about source/amp used. The result will vary quite a lot. And they will improve a lot with proper amping versus ampless. They go from like $100 to $250 worth sound quality headphone depending on amp used. I think it's important that the gain is high enough as I get a large difference already comparing digiZoid ZO2.1 vs ZO2.3, the main difference between ZO2.1 and ZO2.3 is that ZO2.1 actually has higher gain while ZO2.3 has similar gain setting as ZO1 and it sounds quite a bit better with that higher gain in ZO2.1, same thing can be heard when double amping ZO1 + ZO2.3 (yes I tested this as I own both ZO1, ZO2.1 and ZO2.3 xD) but the bass became a bit overpowering with this headphone like that, good for basshy/neutral headphones to make them basshead headphones though! :p

The effect on higher gain on Q40 (comparing ZO2.1 vs ZO2.3 in this case) can be heard as it starting to sound more "dynamic"/forward and in general exciting (especially midrange!) with ZO2.1 versus ZO2.3 (more laid-back, not as exciting). I LOVE the Q40 with ZO2.1 but I only think it's "good/ok" with ZO2.3 lol.

Sep 6, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #2,720 of 11,286
Quote:

Yea Q40 are very picky about source/amp used. The result will vary quite a lot. And they will improve a lot with proper amping versus ampless. They go from like $100 to $250 worth sound quality headphone depending on amp used. I think it's important that the gain is high enough as I get a large difference already comparing digiZoid ZO2.1 vs ZO2.3, the main difference between ZO2.1 and ZO2.3 is that ZO2.1 actually has higher gain while ZO2.3 has similar gain setting as ZO1 and it sounds quite a bit better with that higher gain in ZO2.1, same thing can be heard when double amping ZO1 + ZO2.3 (yes I tested this as I own both ZO1, ZO2.1 and ZO2.3 xD) but the bass became a bit overpowering with this headphone like that, good for basshy/neutral headphones to make them basshead headphones though! :p

The effect on higher gain on Q40 (comparing ZO2.1 vs ZO2.3 in this case) can be heard as it starting to sound more "dynamic"/forward and in general exciting (especially midrange!) with ZO2.1 versus ZO2.3 (more laid-back, not as exciting). I LOVE the Q40 with ZO2.1 but I only think it's "good/ok" with ZO2.3 lol.

the Q40 sounded fine with rock on my FiiO E11.

Sep 6, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #2,721 of 11,286
Quote:

The E11 did a big difference with the higher gain. Tomorow I will try for the first time my E-DAC - a british analoguе to the O-DAC, hope it reveals some more of the Q40's potential.

Sep 7, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #2,727 of 11,286
Quote:
Why do I feel like I am the guinea pig lately buying and returning all the headphones?  @Hawaiiancerveza- how about if you take this one for the team ? :)

Haha have you been buying a lot of HP's lately?  Haha I just got a few and I'm not sure how my wife would feel if I got another, I just got the Q701, Q-40, vPulse and already had the MG7...lol Just sold off some gear too but I'll wait till it comes out.  This is the Yamaha HP we are talking about right?  Sorry I just got up...lol.  Hmmmm... I just may read around to see what reviews come up and if they are positive I may have to pull the trigger and than compare and sell one.  Sneaky, sneaky...lol  
evil_smiley.gif

Ooh seem to come in other colors, well only found black and blue...

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/headphones/pro-500/?mode=model

And 3 set of HP's coming out, Pro 300/400/500.

I'm not sure they'll all be basshead Hp's but I wonder when they are coming out?

Sep 7, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #2,728 of 11,286
Quote:
Haha have you been buying a lot of HP's lately?  Haha I just got a few and I'm not sure how my wife would feel if I got another, I just got the Q701, Q-40, vPulse and already had the MG7...lol Just sold off some gear too but I'll wait till it comes out.  This is the Yamaha HP we are talking about right?  Sorry I just got up...lol.  Hmmmm... I just may read around to see what reviews come up and if they are positive I may have to pull the trigger and than compare and sell one.  Sneaky, sneaky...lol  
evil_smiley.gif

Ooh seem to come in other colors, well only found black and blue...

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/headphones/pro-500/?mode=model

And 3 set of HP's coming out, Pro 300/400/500.

I'm not sure they'll all be basshead Hp's but I wonder when they are coming out?

received an email from Yamaha customer service- October.  The Pro 500 jumps out at me with the aluminum cups.  I'm not happy with the copycat Beats look though.  I hope they put more thought into the sound.

Sep 7, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #2,729 of 11,286
Ya seems as though a lot of the recent HP's are doing the beats look.  Appeal I guess although to us, they remind us of the "great" beats...lol 
deadhorse.gif

Edit:  Shoot, Wifey said I can't keep the Q-40's since I use the Q701's for gaming.  Anyone want to purchase a q-40?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back