The Basshead Club
Mar 19, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #10,067 of 11,286
So I dove in and bought a bassheads IEM dream today:

Unique Melody Merlin.

Four BA drivers, one dynamic bass driver, in a custom IEM enclosure. 

Will be a few weeks before it all goes through, but looking forward to it!

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #10,068 of 11,286
  S**t, going from the TH600 to the SZ2000 makes the TH600 sound like a treblehead can. Mids are so murky in comparison though but we knew that

The Bass is ridiculous. For the price it should be in everybody's collection. IMO
If you got eq skillz they could be used in the mids. 
biggrin.gif

Fostex....that's a brand and the TH's are legends. These are not in that league. 

I'm a fanboy but not a fool.

I'm a basshead to the core though and these shook me. I stopped shopping for basshead cans when I found these. When I step up to audiophile grade it will be with what you and Oregonian got in the TH series

Mar 19, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #10,069 of 11,286
It's like I've taped 18 inch subs to my head

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #10,070 of 11,286
  It's like I've taped 18 inch subs to my head

@spurxiii 

Bro...I'm so ******* happy!. People recommend cans all the time but personal tastes about "staging" and such make for many returns or items on the for sale thread. Opinions are good and bad.

These are simple head slammers....your ear may be humming now. It's not really an opinion ...your head feels like it's getting walloped. The driver shouldn't distort before your ears do. These cans do that well...better than any i have ever heard. Kind of unreal. The changing of the pads is a big improvement for me too.

You already got the Fostex for your high end listening.....those are the cans I want in the future actually. These are well made $220 head thumpers. I never smiled so many times in my life with headphones. These bring out the kid in me.

I'm glad you are enjoying them.

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #10,071 of 11,286
Well I just pulled the trigger on the Denon C300's. Let's see if they do actually have as much bass as an XB500. I hope they live up to the hype :L3000:

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #10,072 of 11,286
Well I just pulled the trigger on the Denon C300's. Let's see if they do actually have as much bass as an XB500. I hope they live up to the hype
L3000.gif

Don't worry, they do! 

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #10,073 of 11,286
... I want those sz2000 now. On a different note: Can the V-Moda LP's take a ton of power? When do they start to distort? From what I'm reading, amps similar in power the the E11 won't distort sound, but nothing was said about the really powerful mobile amps. Does anyone have crossfade LP's?

Mar 19, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #10,075 of 11,286
  So I dove in and bought a bassheads IEM dream today:

Unique Melody Merlin.

Four BA drivers, one dynamic bass driver, in a custom IEM enclosure. 

Will be a few weeks before it all goes through, but looking forward to it!

I love my Merlins, but I wouldn't call them exactly basshead IEMs. They have well extended and controlled bass, but entry basshead level in quantity. On the other hand there are the mids and treble  - well, that's another story (superb!).

Mar 19, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #10,076 of 11,286
... The thing literally feels like you have a 10 inch sub strapped to your back. The bass is tight and extends down LOW...very impressive I must say. I am using the portable version, M1...

That is absolutely insane...! Wonder if work would mind haha

On a side note, I think I'm long overdue to join here.

Current:

V-moda m-100s (just received)
Sony ex1000's
Modded grado sr-60i's
Mtpg's

Lost:
Jvc fx-700
Jvc fxz-200

Past:
Denon d7000
Ultrasone pro 900
New 2013 studio beats

Looking for some time to A/B compare the ex1000's to the m100s... those sonys are amazing

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #10,077 of 11,286

I love my Merlins, but I wouldn't call them exactly basshead IEMs. They have well extended and controlled bass, but entry basshead level in quantity. On the other hand there are the mids and treble  - well, that's another story (superb!).

That's a little worrying, as every single review I have read has said otherwise. 

At least seven of the main reviews I have read contain the word "basshead".

Sigh, that's a real shame. I really do hate shopping for customs, as you can't demo anything.

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #10,078 of 11,286
... I want those sz2000 now. On a different note: Can the V-Moda LP's take a ton of power? When do they start to distort? From what I'm reading, amps similar in power the the E11 won't distort sound, but nothing was said about the really powerful mobile amps. Does anyone have crossfade LP's?

Your source will distort the cans long before your amp will.

If you're using full-size cans, an amp shouldn't distort them, period. 

Mar 19, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #10,079 of 11,286
Your source will distort the cans long before your amp will.

If you're using full-size cans, an amp shouldn't distort them, period. 
lol. By not distort them period, do you mean never get loud enough to distort sound?... Because I beg to differ. Try an amp on beats, Sony 20$ cheap crap things, and plenty of others. They all distort from an amp.

Mar 19, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #10,080 of 11,286
I've never heard any headphone who would distort sooner than what I'd feel comfortable to listen with in first place. If you listen to safe volume levels they won't distort and I have no interest in damaging my hearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back