The Basshead Club
Mar 19, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #10,081 of 11,286
I'm confused by what you're doing. I'm sitting here with a pair of Skullcandy MIXR headphones sitting on a table in front of me. I have my iPod plugged into an amp. I am cranking bass-heavy music loud enough for them to be equally loud as my laptop speaker - there is no chance they are going to sit on my head with these volumes. Yet I'm not hearing any distortion.

What source and amp are you using?

Mar 19, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #10,082 of 11,286
... Well... I may usually have the volume at 6/8 with bass boost on an E11... While its on my head... Don't judge me.

Mar 19, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #10,083 of 11,286
The beats studios and the solo hd's don't take much to distort.

Mar 19, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #10,084 of 11,286
If you plug in studios to an E11, and then turn it up to 6/8, it distorts to high hell.

Mar 19, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #10,085 of 11,286
Same with a lot of 20-30$ cans off the shelf of a WalMart.

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #10,086 of 11,286
Any low impedance, high sensitivity headphone will distort under those conditions. 

No one is judging you, my friend - you're in the basshead club.

tongue.gif

(But seriously, what source are you using? What's being plugged into the E11?)

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #10,087 of 11,286
Well, my JVC's don't distort from it, but as I've said, a lot of celebrity endorsed cans I've tried do. Beats studios, solos etc, and most 20-30$ cheapies. I usually use my Nokia Lumia 925, my Tv(now that is loud without the amp... Extremely loud.), my LG 840g, or my old crappy Windows XP emachines computer from 2002. I wish I had a high quality audio player though... The Lumia 925 has a built in Eq, so I can bass cut, or just completely destroy any trace of treble and mids from a song, just leaving the deep bass... The lumia's audio jack is very nice, but for some reason nokia limited output power to lower than a lot of other things... And the phones soundcard drives that internal speaker to a volume as loud as that galaxy s4. Why they didnt add in an option for power output control is beyond me... That would have made it my basshead heaven phone! XD

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #10,088 of 11,286
I'm confused by what you're doing. I'm sitting here with a pair of Skullcandy MIXR headphones sitting on a table in front of me. I have my iPod plugged into an amp. I am cranking bass-heavy music loud enough for them to be equally loud as my laptop speaker - there is no chance they are going to sit on my head with these volumes. Yet I'm not hearing any distortion.

What source and amp are you using?
... I may or may not use them at volume levels like that on my head... And they have a higher sensitivity rating by 5 decibels...

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #10,089 of 11,286
The beats studios and the solo hd's don't take much to distort.

The Beats Studios have very little headroom as they are pre tuned with a huge spike in the low freq. I found out the hard way...while looking at much cheaper cans that while the Beats are not the "crap" many say...I did when pissed ..  but you are getting headphones pushed to their spec limits out the box . 40mm drivers with a circuit and noise canceling/amp on board. Great first cans for bass heads but too pricey for the build and entry level ability.

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #10,090 of 11,286
Lol. The V-Moda lp's or the JVC XX series with an FiiO E11 seem like a better choice for an entry level basshead than a lot of other options out there... Plus, I prefer the newer beats studios over the old ones... The old ones bass, mids, and highs just don't have that pizzazz. They just depend on a fatty, beefy low end to make people buy them. I personally need sound quality if I listen to a pair of cans. If it has a little spike in the bass, even better! If it has a medium/large spike in the bass, with detailed sound, THEN AWWWESOME!!! (JVC in other words) if a pair of cans doesn't have at least fair sound quality, then I will not buy it. Simple as that. Beats studio 2.0 have really nice, flat(ish) sound. If they have good sound, count me in! If they have the most thump in the world, yet no detail, then count me out!

Mar 19, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #10,091 of 11,286
Lol. The V-Moda lp's or the JVC XX series with an FiiO E11 seem like a better choice for an entry level basshead than a lot of other options out there... Plus, I prefer the newer beats studios over the old ones... The old ones bass, mids, and highs just don't have that pizzazz. They just depend on a fatty, beefy low end to make people buy them. I personally need sound quality if I listen to a pair of cans. If it has a little spike in the bass, even better! If it has a medium/large spike in the bass, with detailed sound, THEN AWWWESOME!!! (JVC in other words) if a pair of cans doesn't have at least fair sound quality, then I will not buy it. Simple as that. Beats studio 2.0 have really nice, flat(ish) sound. If they have good sound, count me in! If they have the most thump in the world, yet no detail, then count me out!

Detail meaning the mids and highs?

Also, just ordered an objective o2, i finally will have some proper ampage T.T

Mar 20, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #10,092 of 11,286

That's a little worrying, as every single review I have read has said otherwise. 

At least seven of the main reviews I have read contain the word "basshead".

Sigh, that's a real shame. I really do hate shopping for customs, as you can't demo anything.

Maybe from an audiophile perspective these are true basshead IEMs :wink: I was also hoping for that and was dissapointed at the beginning. After a while I got accustomed to the sound and started to very much like their them. Don't get me wrong, they have a strong bass (after working on the fit, it got even better), but nowhere the levels of say the Atrios - I guess the customs of Futuresonics would be more of a basshead IEM.
I would call the Merlins neutral with a bit boosted bass.

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #10,093 of 11,286
Regarding bass amps:

How would you compare E11 and Digizoid?
I like that E11 doesn't colour the sound, but I don't like the bass boost (prefer to equalize it on the player) - I don't think it's too clean.

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #10,094 of 11,286
Regarding bass amps:

How would you compare E11 and Digizoid?
I like that E11 doesn't colour the sound, but I don't like the bass boost (prefer to equalize it on the player) - I don't think it's too clean.

Yeah the bass boost boosts the lower mids as well.. Not the best

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #10,095 of 11,286
Lol. Isn't the digizoid also like 150$ more???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back