The Basshead Club
Feb 26, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #9,406 of 11,286
Fwiw I heard the Sony x10 when they were doing the "launch parties" in the mall (really great idea, had dj, rave club lighting, and some banging ass speakers). I think they sound like utter trash. I personally wouldn't pay more than 50$ for those. The dj and the girl who was demo'ing the headphones said almost everyone passed on the headphones and inquired about the Sony speakers they were using (myself included and I'm not into speakers at all, but those were amazing)

@HBB, I'm surprised you have been blown off by customer service. I have been talking daily with a service rep for about 3 days lol. The time before this, I received almost instant responses to my e-mails.

mail address and name of rep you've been chatting with please.

We are having very VERY different experiences. Hok me up with the info via PM if you can :)

Feb 26, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #9,407 of 11,286

What do you mean shell?
The construction is totally different (as in NO PLASTIC!), so "the shell" is definitely not the same. If you refer to the earcups and how the rotate, then yes... LOL blatant rip-off :wink:. Sound-wise though, way better. The Dido's actually use the same driver from the more expensive Fostex TH cans (this was actually mentioned by Perfect Sound themselves...) but of course, with their own heavy bass tuning. I'm actually listening to them at the moment. Regarding the rattling, as long as you are not running with them, I guess they are alright! LOL.

It felt like the Beats studio when i picked them up. leaning, creaking....handle with care. For 800 I was imagining more and I had seen this review:

Build Quality & Construction

Tank. Brick **** house. Insert your own choice of superlative metaphors here. This thing is beyond well-built; beyond solid.

I got a bad pair? That happens to much too me 
rolleyes.gif
 If you held and moved them side to side they would creak and my rattling was referring to the vibration/resonance of the cup the wire was plugged into. It was hyper vibrating. The store should have removed that unit instead of laughing at it. They were NOT doing dido any favors with their behavior like pushing vocaloid through those things. They were shiny, 16 ohms and LOUD. 
dt880smile.png

Feb 26, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #9,408 of 11,286
Man, am i ever curious to try the q40. The only criticisms i ever see about them is comfort, and apparently being a lemon, lol.

Not that i would buy them. But i would sure love to hear them!

Here's the deal. They seem to have stopped making/supporting them. I am honestly getting no replies. I already got refunded by Amazon so it's all good. Being ignored is far more annoying than anything else.

The sound is the reason it's got a following. They nailed it. I will be moving on to other cans but they nailed the audio quality on these. Really beautiful. Makes me MORE angry that it went awry.  Comfort I cannot speak to because of the brief time but the cable is ultra sketchy and the little wires along the head band should be secured by you in a custom way so that of mentioned  "yank" never happens to you. Switch the cable and give er a go. If the return policy/vendor  is solid you got nothing to lose but a week and a little of your mind
biggrin.gif
...if it turns out well you got one of the better sounding headphones i have heard. For the price and for more price.

Feb 26, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #9,411 of 11,286
I've been very interested in the M-Audio HDH50's. I saw people comparing them with Akai's a few pages back but were all posting pictures of the Akai MPC's which are the on ear models, it's the pro's that appear to be identical to the HDH50's. Very excited to hear them, crazy that there is a 300 dollar price difference between the HDH50's and the Akai MPC pro's when they seem to be (hopefully) the same can. Side note, I love my M50's, just gettin the itch for an update and hopefully a slight upgrade

Feb 26, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #9,412 of 11,286
Q40's are $80 here...not sure about the site though. I think I've bought other stuff from them before back in the day.

https://www.shnoop.com/deal-2236-m-audio-studiophile-q40-closed-back-full-size-dynamic-headphones

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #9,413 of 11,286
  It felt like the Beats studio when i picked them up. leaning, creaking....handle with care. For 800 I was imagining more and I had seen this review:

I got a bad pair? That happens to much too me 
rolleyes.gif
 If you held and moved them side to side they would creak and my rattling was referring to the vibration/resonance of the cup the wire was plugged into. It was hyper vibrating. The store should have removed that unit instead of laughing at it. They were NOT doing dido any favors with their behavior like pushing vocaloid through those things. They were shiny, 16 ohms and LOUD. 
dt880smile.png

Well, I tried the Pro's (I think) a while ago and don't remember creaking. They do break though ... I don't expect that with the Dido's... and yes, they do creak and rattle, but vibration/resonance from the cup?!? Don't think so. My review:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/perfect-sound-d901b/reviews/10082

I also organized a Dido tour in which is going on right now and it seems that the users haven't experienced any vibration or resonance... not yet anyway... Maybe you are still into your "car-audio-mode" and blowing up drivers everywhere you go?!!? LOL

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #9,414 of 11,286

Well, I tried the Pro's (I think) a while ago and don't remember creaking. They do break though ... I don't expect that with the Dido's... and yes, they do creak and rattle, but vibration/resonance from the cup?!? Don't think so. My review:

I also organized a Dido tour in which is going on right now and it seems that the users haven't experienced any vibration or resonance... not yet anyway... Maybe you are still into your "car-audio-mode" and blowing up drivers everywhere you go?!!? LOL

I had no resonance, vibration or creaking once I "adjusted" the clamp to be tighter.  Lovely little headphone.  Not the most comfortable but a good little unit. 

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #9,415 of 11,286

Um.......I think you just hit a homerun right there
biggrin.gif

Sometimes audio shop staff are the difference between a product walking out that door in a bag and not. These guys were playing vocaloid and I had to ask for a "bass" song and the best they had was Bob Marley  EXODUS...I'm from Hawaii and love Bob but I wanted something better. The staff sucked. They were waiting for the vibration on/in the cup...a loose driver from abuse by dopey staff? I dunno? They sounded LOUD...16 ohm is not too much resistance and the bass was tight. I'd jump at another chance to hear them properly and I might go to Fukuoka and give them another shot. I'm all about the Bass. I know you don't like the 77x but they hammer like animals. I'm beating them and they keep coming back with undistorted tuned port bass.  I like the Yamaha 500 in my sig........compared to the 300+ more dollar Perfect sounds....bass hit to bass hit.....what says you?

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #9,416 of 11,286
I've been very interested in the M-Audio HDH50's. I saw people comparing them with Akai's a few pages back but were all posting pictures of the Akai MPC's which are the on ear models, it's the pro's that appear to be identical to the HDH50's. Very excited to hear them, crazy that there is a 300 dollar price difference between the HDH50's and the Akai MPC pro's when they seem to be (hopefully) the same can. Side note, I love my M50's, just gettin the itch for an update and hopefully a slight upgrade

Those are NOT on ear cans. The video had both headphones...did you look at the thumbnail on the vid (you obviously didn't watch it).  Both are priced at 24,800 yen.  Your comment is so wrong on so many levels that woulda been resolved if you watched the vid or used google search and hit the image section then chose "past week"....problems of price and model solved right there.

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #9,417 of 11,286

Those are NOT on ear cans. The video had both headphones...did you look at the thumbnail on the vid (you obviously didn't watch it).  Both are priced at 24,800 yen.  Your comment is so wrong on so many levels that woulda been resolved if you watched the vid or used google search and hit the image section then chose "past week"....problems of price and model solved right there.

My mistake. I obviously didn't watch the video. I was just looking at the pictures and the sides of the MPC's use a smaller logo and the Pro's design matches the M-Audio spot on. The M-Audios are $199.99 and use a 50mm driver and the MPC's are 299.99 on ears and use a 40mm from what I had been reading and the Pro's are over ear use a 50mm. Perhaps different models for different territories?

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #9,418 of 11,286
Ok, so now I see the newer over the ear MPC's you speak of. Interesting. So do the M-Audio's use the internals of the new MPC's and body of the Pro? Guess ill have to research specs on the over the ear MPC's vs Pro's to see whats different

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #9,419 of 11,286
  Ok, so now I see the newer over the ear MPC's you speak of. Interesting. So do the M-Audio's use the internals of the new MPC's and body of the Pro? Guess ill have to research specs on the over the ear MPC's vs Pro's to see whats different

The new M-Audio have the old Akai pro cup caps. The specs are identical according to the video which says they have the same drivers. 16 Ohm 12-24Khz 114-116dB  The difference is supposed to be the "tuning" but the rep says it's "chotto  chigao"  meaning a little different but later says it's up to the listeners....whatever that means?

Even Amazon as of yesterday were showing an on ear older model with the new series # which is over ear.....do they check the websites of vendors? Where did they get that old pic?
C'mon Amazon
confused.gif

http://akai-pro.jp/mpc-headphones/

50mm drivers.

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #9,420 of 11,286
I will definitely pick up one M-Audio HDH50 to try when they get available, estimated date is now 5th March on some UK retailer which goes along the info in that video.

Since the specs are the same as the AKAI it's the same drivers and that the M-Audio are cheaper makes it even more interesting. I doubt the tuning of the driver itself is different, as that only seems like additional manufacturing costs to me instead of having to just develop one specific driver. Probably it's just that cup design which is slightly different that causes the differences in sound if there's any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back