The Basshead Club
Feb 26, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #9,391 of 11,286
Wait I take that back, I tried the headphones at pc Richards before we went to the mall, but had the opportunity to try them again. PC Richards had a pair of the House Of Marley headphones on display that beat the Sony at its own game.

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #9,393 of 11,286
Originally Posted by Hawaiibadboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Those Perfect Sound dido's that cost 800 bucks....they were 16ohm. The new Akai/M-Audio are as well. I'd like to know the structure of the drivers.I used to use 2 and 4 ohm drivers in car audio (i know I know...different thing) ...32 ohm is plenty low to be driven by PMP's....They are going for loud...LOUD. I'm turning my amps gain down before they get plugged into these. The dido would be awesome without the Beats studio shell and rattling. I'm pleased at the lower ohm rating. I think the market is going to see a lot more 16 ohm drivers and ported vents. If they wanna dig deeper with bass i think they gotta tune the drivers to the cups. Real low Hz v.s. perceived vibration tickling. Like a ported bass enclosure can tune subs to hit lower notes i think they can are and will do more with drivers specializing in the lower freq's.

Competition drives innovation ...I think we are seeing some of that...I'm hoping so.

What do you mean shell?
The construction is totally different (as in NO PLASTIC!), so "the shell" is definitely not the same. If you refer to the earcups and how the rotate, then yes... LOL blatant rip-off :wink:. Sound-wise though, way better. The Dido's actually use the same driver from the more expensive Fostex TH cans (this was actually mentioned by Perfect Sound themselves...) but of course, with their own heavy bass tuning. I'm actually listening to them at the moment. Regarding the rattling, as long as you are not running with them, I guess they are alright! LOL.

Feb 26, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #9,395 of 11,286
so i originally had the xb500. went to the htf600 for a cheaper alternative. even after burn in, the bass is just ehh. i'm looking for more bass. somewhere around 50 bucks. so not up to q40 level yet. any thoughts on the sony v55 or sony zx600? listen to house, trance, rap but also appreciate good sound quality.

any ideas>!?!?!?!

Feb 26, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #9,396 of 11,286
And after reading the Q40 thread and talking on this thread and others with Q40 owners, unfortunately Hawaiianbadboy, you got a lemon.  Sorry that happened, because those of us who own a Q40 would never get rid of them and I never will.  Simply put, it is in rotation with Denon D7000, D2000, Fostex TH900, Ultrasone Pro900, Denon D600 and holds its' own with all of them.   It's that good.

I for one was pulling for Hawaiibb to love them as we do.  Bums me out. 

Feb 26, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #9,398 of 11,286
I used to have a pair of the V55s. They were quite good, yes, but the combo of the cheap-feeling vinyl pads and the small cups made them a bit uncomfortable after about an hour. Good sound though, nice bass.

Feb 26, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #9,400 of 11,286
  And after reading the Q40 thread and talking on this thread and others with Q40 owners, unfortunately Hawaiianbadboy, you got a lemon.  Sorry that happened, because those of us who own a Q40 would never get rid of them and I never will.  Simply put, it is in rotation with Denon D7000, D2000, Fostex TH900, Ultrasone Pro900, Denon D600 and holds its' own with all of them.   It's that good.

I for one was pulling for Hawaiibb to love them as we do.  Bums me out. 

+1. 
I love the Q40's, they're my favourite cans 
L3000.gif
. Somehow they struck the perfect balance of bass quality/quantity without sacrificing the midrange or treble. 

Feb 26, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #9,401 of 11,286
  Maybe its time for a hearing check mate.... but whatever.

Ah, they're just not for everyone I suppose. Still one of my favorite cans. They're not without their drawbacks or trade-offs though. The bass is rather boomy, and I can see where the criticism about their mids are coming from. That being said, being what they are (super bass heavy cans focusing almost purely on bass quantity), they're definitely not as bad as some people are making them out to be, in my opinion.

Rule of thumb on head-fi: whenever someone says something is "utter crap", "worst headphone I've ever heard", "the best evva", "these turns water into wine" or "I can divide by zero, I promise", just ignore them. Exaggerations run wild on head-fi, and no headphone is flawless.

I find the X10/XB910 to be *very good* for my needs, and is a well used headphone, even among "the better headphones" in my stable.

Feb 26, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #9,402 of 11,286
bassplz I love the V55 headphones. They sound great. Best set in the price range.

I used to have a pair of the V55s. They were quite good, yes, but the combo of the cheap-feeling vinyl pads and the small cups made them a bit uncomfortable after about an hour. Good sound though, nice bass.

Any one of you have the htf600 as well? People on head fi told me the bass on them was unreal but it was literally nothing compared to the xb500. I'm not looking for as much bass as xb500, but DEFINITELY more than the htf600. Any input? And the sony zx600? Appreciate it

Feb 26, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #9,403 of 11,286
Any one of you have the htf600 as well? People on head fi told me the bass on them was unreal but it was literally nothing compared to the xb500. I'm not looking for as much bass as xb500, but DEFINITELY more than the htf600. Any input? And the sony zx600? Appreciate it

I'd recommend the UE-6000 in that case. Not really the amount of XB-500 bass, but still loads of it.

I think you might be able to find it inn the "same:ish" price range, and if you do, it's pretty much a steal.

Feb 26, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #9,404 of 11,286
Ah, they're just not for everyone I suppose. Still one of my favorite cans. They're not without their drawbacks or trade-offs though. The bass is rather boomy, and I can see where the criticism about their mids are coming from. That being said, being what they are (super bass heavy cans focusing almost purely on bass quantity), they're definitely not as bad as some people are making them out to be, in my opinion.

Rule of thumb on head-fi: whenever someone says something is "utter crap", "worst headphone I've ever heard", "the best evva", "these turns water into wine" or "I can divide by zero, I promise", just ignore them. Exaggerations run wild on head-fi, and no headphone is flawless.

I find the X10/XB910 to be *very good* for my needs, and is a well used headphone, even among "the better headphones" in my stable.

Yeah you're right, the x10 are the best headphone ever. Every time I hear them I'm transported into a different dimension, where all of my wildest dreams come true. And I get my very own unicorn. All thanks to the sony's the greatest headphones ever made. No reason to ignore me, I agree with you all great and powerful one. My foolish time of not agreeing (sp?) With you is over.

Feb 26, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #9,405 of 11,286
Man, am i ever curious to try the q40. The only criticisms i ever see about them is comfort, and apparently being a lemon, lol.

Not that i would buy them. But i would sure love to hear them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back