The Basshead Club
Aug 9, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #7,097 of 11,286
Quote:
I would be curious for a comparison between the TH-600 and Sig DJ.

Me to

Funny story guys, Dub Step is better on $30 Sony ZX300 than my $600 w1000x. Granted the w1000x is tighter, more controlled bass. Better Sound stage, better vocals... but it lacks the "**** this It's BASS" attitude that makes Dub Step so great! The little Zx300 for me was just so much nastier and in my face [mind you I'm listening un eq'd and out of a lean solid state amp] I really enjoyed just how in your face the bass was, while it wasn't over powering... of course the Dt 990 just WASTED the zx300, with Tight slamming bass that really captures the grunge and energy of Dub Step, not to mention the track

Jouvay by Jus Now, has a nice caribbean undertone, which adds to it's care free and rebel nature! Which is nice to know that I'm still a bass head deep down inside <3 [although the w1000x is a BEAST with Drum n Bass, the combination of beauty and agression between the sweet vocals and the kickin bass is much nice on the w1000x]

So Ultimatley I'm glad I have my dt 990s and my w1000x, I sometimes wonder if I need them both and... thank gawd... yes I do! 

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #7,098 of 11,286
Quote:
I would be curious for a comparison between the TH-600 and Sig DJ.

Well, I won't compare as my experience with both is really brief. I may share some short impressions of the TH-600 though.
Straight out of an Iphone 4S, I queued up, Levels (Originals) FLAC, by Avicii and some other vocal tracks such as Rebecca Pidgeon, spanish harlem and also some other tracks for the Chesky Records Test Disc and also some tracks from the Best Audiophile Voices disc.

I compared it to the PSB M4U1, side by side. IMO, the TH-600 is indeed very spacious like others have already mention, with great natural timbre and also great clarity. However, why would any basshead care for that, it's the bass right? Actually if you are familiar with the Avicii track, after a certain time, there would be some subbass rumble paired up with midbass punch and OH BOY do the TH-600s rumble! 

I also paired it up with a warm Bravo Audio Ocean tube amp and the bass rumble and punch gotten bigger! 

I am not as much of a basshead as I was used to be. And I confirmed as at first I thought maybe I just can't stand poor quality bass, but even after hearing the epitome of basshead cans, it still didn't do it for me as I would be spending some amount of cash on speakers and the visceral impact and dynamism of a pair of decent speakers is unmatched by any headphones. I felt that the TH-600 though a really good headphone, is most likely confined within the means of my home due to the fact it is a poor out and about headphone with its near-zero isolation. And at home, I would have my speakers that would outperform it in everyway.

I know of course, if I were to up my game with an amp and dac, the TH600 would definitely improve and I'm aware of that but with a great speakers system, what I tell myself is "What for?"

Therefore, I'm currently looking at CIEMs for their great portability, comfort and also good sound that rival some great fullsize cans! 

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #7,099 of 11,286
I feel you with the "not much of a bass head" adage there, and yes speakers are always better than headphones. Heck my crappy second rate Car Stero is pretty enjoyable imo, more so than about half the headphones.

Still I like having my music with me when I'm out and about. I hang with a lot of chill people, we rn't SUPER active we like to travel and chill. So headphones are nice to have! Plus every house I've lived it [still not my own] people whine about how BASSY my speakers are... ppl don't sleep well when 20hrz of BASS is eating away at their chest cavities xD 

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #7,100 of 11,286
Although i agree that speakers beat headphones in bass by far, i feel like you would have to get very high end ones 15,000+ to be able to get the same euphoria that i get from hi end headphones. I consider spending 500 alot :3

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #7,101 of 11,286
I guess thats off topic though lol.

Anyways, i wonder what would happen if someone did a darth dj mod? :D

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #7,102 of 11,286
Well, firstly sorry for being off-topic, just doing a rant of mine here.

I actually opt for speakers as I realise, firstly if I'm getting a lot more for my money by getting a pair of speakers and no, I'm not even talking about AudioEngine Level, I'm talking about getting a pair of Focal Floorstanders. I guess you can say that I am privileged to have both the funds and space for this though my room do actually require room treatment. 

In my opinon, the reason why I prefer speakers alot more is due to the fact that the thing I look out for in headphones is headstage (not soundstage), like how big the sound are, as I kind of like to speculate my music like a spectator spectating a football match. However, speakers have infinite headstage as well, it isn't on your head! It's your entire room and I really like that. 

Also, bass impact, texture, extension and tautness is just very simply marvelous.

Next would be the soundstage, which is obviously a landslide win which is kind of important to me also as I'm a classical fan.

Then after that would be Imaging or rather 3-D Rendering for electronica which I also love and though I believe for this particular category that it would be a closer fight, speakers still are better as the sound is spaced out in front of you. 

However, details do lose out due to the fact that the music is coming a few metres from you rather than being jammed into your ears, but details are still above my acceptable level.

Hence, in my honest opinion, speakers are better in almost every aspect. Nevertheless, I would still need a portable go-to audio device and that is where a CIEM comes into play which gives a completely different, more intimate, accurate, and also more detailed sound and it's also way more portable.

I think this is I can say for now and I am sorry for being off-topic, just wish to share something here. 

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #7,103 of 11,286
Lol np, and i guess i cant say much since i havent ever heard speakers more than 2000$, or headphones more than 300$. I think it really comes down to personal preference. For me, listening to music is all about going to a different world, and although i know speakers would win at higher prices in every way, like i said, 500$ is a LOT to spend for me and as a 500$ pair of speakers (in my opinion) wouldnt sound as good to me... I prefer headphones. That being said, if you DO have a ton of cash to spend, get speakers lol.

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #7,104 of 11,286
The problem with speakers is that the sound is sensitive to placement and room accoustics. With headphones there is no worry about accoustic treatments. Yes placement still matters but it's a lot easier to tweak a headphone's position on your head than it is to lug floorstanding speakers around your room. And in terms of price... the best headphones in the world (Stax 009 etc.) combined with a top notch amp will cost around $12000, whereas the best speakers in the world are anywhere from $60,000 (B&W Nautilus) to a whopping $260,000+ (MBL 101 X-treme), without any amp.

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #7,105 of 11,286
Quote:
The problem with speakers is that the sound is sensitive to placement and room accoustics. With headphones there is no worry about accoustic treatments. Yes placement still matters but it's a lot easier to tweak a headphone's position on your head than it is to lug floorstanding speakers around your room. And in terms of price... the best headphones in the world (Stax 009 etc.) combined with a top notch amp will cost around $12000, whereas the best speakers in the world are anywhere from $60,000 (B&W Nautilus) to a whopping $260,000+ (MBL 101 X-treme), without any amp.

I know about the prices, however, after my personal experiences with speakers, I can no longer turn back. I'm aware of room acoustics, like I mentioned in my previous post, I would actually require some room treatment for a particular beam in my room. In my honest opinion, the end-game audio equipment is a pair of speakers, nothing beats a pair of speakers in a properly treated room with the suitable electronics. Like headphones/earphones the sound of speakers also can be calibrated through amps/cables and also EQ. 

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #7,106 of 11,286

That's all well and good but I'll tell you you can have a pretty darn good sounding speaker system for a couple hundred to $300. A pair of Pioneer HPM 100s driven by a nice vintage amp sounds amazing. Or in my case a pair of free Klipsch 3.2. LOL. :D

Aug 9, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #7,109 of 11,286
Surprised no one else is interested in seeing the darth beyers mod on a sig dj. Not sure how it would effect the slogic though... Maybe a th600 ._.

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #7,110 of 11,286
Quote:

Very Nice Oregonian!

Those cups are massive... brings back memories of a girl I once knew, but I digress...
biggrin.gif

Do the yokes touch the wood? I would be horrified to find little scratch marks on top from the yokes.

Nothing finer than a nice eyeball rattling, diarrhea inducing bass... :)
Congratz on the DB's
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back