The Basshead Club
Aug 7, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #7,066 of 11,286
Depends: If you keep the rubber ring that's placed underneath the pads it will actually increase lows and further remove highs vs stock Q40. However the bass quantity you get is of pretty poor quality, makes the beautiful textured but strong bass response of Q40 lose some of its texture and I don't think it's a good idea to further decrease the highs either. If you remove the rubber rings with the Hifimans you get the opposite, a bit less bass and more highs instead. Isolation at least for me is also pretty poor with the Hifimans but pretty nice with the stock pads, a really huge difference for me.

Have you tried the shure pads

Aug 7, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #7,067 of 11,286
Quote:
Have you tried the shure pads

Nope, due to having pretty perfect sound for my taste (perfect clarity, slightly forward mids, neutral highs, good bass strength and quality and good isolation and for me good comfort (I can wear it the whole day no prob) with the stock pads with a thin layer of paper towel (1/3 cutted piece of one kitchen paper towel rolled up) I just stick to that. I've learnt my lesson regarding "stick to what works great and you're satisfied with" and I intend to stick to it. I mean why should I test something else if I don't want to change anything with the sound and there isn't any comfort issues at all...

Now if I could only find a satisfying audio source (money isn't an issue, finding it... is...)

Aug 7, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #7,069 of 11,286
Get a decent receiver and mod the speaker outputs to accept headphones (check the pics in my AD2000MKIV review). It'll be the only stationary source/amp you'll ever need. The SNR isn't perfect, but you won't hear any hiss at medium+ volume levels because of the music, and you get enough power to drive anything at ear bleeding levels. Most receivers have 24/192 DACs built in, but you'll be limited by the bit-depth/sampling rate of your S/PDIF out on your computer (usually 24/96). Either way, you're covered in that area. Plus, you get bass/treble/gain controls that most receivers have, so you can quickly tune those areas to your liking. 

Aug 7, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #7,071 of 11,286
They're hereeeeeee:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blog/2013/08/04/review-beats-new-studio

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/photogallery/measured-beats-new-studio

Aug 7, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #7,075 of 11,286
Aug 7, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #7,076 of 11,286
Is it just me or do the original beats studios sound worse than the xb500?

Still interesting to see what they are trying to do to improve though.

Aug 7, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #7,077 of 11,286
Well now...........time for a new member to be added to basshead club headphone list.  The Darth Beyer...............

For those who don't know what this beast is, it began life as an 80 ohm DT770, then went to Larry @ Headphile for some custom extra deep wood cups, driver tweaking and a nice new cable.  Just literally got them a half hour ago and can only say the ears are rattling inside those cups pretty good.  Beautiful to look at as well which means nothing. 

More to come but this IS a contender for the list................
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
eek.gif

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #7,079 of 11,286
Lol, oregonian, what happened to being extremely satisfied with the md7000's?

Nothing. I love them.

I also love my D2000's, Pro900's, Q40's, D600's, Edition 8's. I'm capable of a whole lotta love. :D

What, you think I am a monogamous headphone guy? Really? Variety is the spice of life as the cliche goes.

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #7,080 of 11,286
This ^.  Great, no microphonics BUT it is not short.  Think it's 6', which I guess is shorter than that lame stock one.  Can be bunched up easy enough though because it is so thin.  

They have the shorter cables for smartphones as well. I have the 3-button one. It doesn't sound any worse than the audio-only cable. In fact some people thinks it sounds even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back