The Basshead Club
Jan 26, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #4,516 of 11,286
Quote:
Hello,

I came across this website looking for bass headphones. I read a couple of threads and feel like the Sony MDR-XB1000 & FiiO E11 would be a good combo. Just wanted a opinion or two before I buy. Also I can spend a little more money on the amp is there a better one (E07K or e17?).

What is it that you like or think you will like about XB1000?  What type of music?

Regarding the amp, did you need a desktop DAC, portable amp, or both?  If you just need a portable, the E11 is a great choice.  If you need both, the E17 is also a solid choice.

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #4,517 of 11,286
Quote:
What is it that you like or think you will like about XB1000?  What type of music?

Regarding the amp, did you need a desktop DAC, portable amp, or both?  If you just need a portable, the E11 is a great choice.  If you need both, the E17 is also a solid choice.

I want a lot of bass. I read the xb700 has more but music sounds better on the xb1000's and with an amp provide just as much bass. I will be using this setup with an Ipod Classic. Mostly Rap and R&B. If I can future proof the amp a little then that works, only reason to really go up from the e11.

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #4,518 of 11,286
Quote:
I want a lot of bass. I read the xb700 has more but music sounds better on the xb1000's and with an amp provide just as much bass. I will be using this setup with an Ipod Classic. Mostly Rap and R&B. If I can future proof the amp a little then that works, only reason to really go up from the e11.

I just ordered the NuForce HP-800.  It is a brand new headphone and I haven't heard them yet, but you might want to check out the threads here that also have links to reviews.  They may be a better sounding bass-heavy alternative in your price range, especially if you want nice vocals for R&B tracks with your bass (i.e. Tamia).  I own the V-Moda M-100 and they may be the best I ever heard for R&B.

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #4,519 of 11,286

I'd get the JVC HA-S500 and ZO2, it's amazing with Rap and Pop and the like.

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #4,520 of 11,286
Quote:

Stock wise, the XB700 trumps the XB1000 in sheer bass quantity. Even the sub-bass capabilities of the XB700 is about on par with the XB1000. The latter have a cleaner sound, but the comparative leanness of the bass makes it pale in comparison with the XB700. Amped well, the XB1000 can deliver a mid-bass punch that is about the same as the XB500/700 at stock levels. Sub-bass rumble is also enhanced by using a good amp. I don't have an E17, but the XB1000 scales well with an E11 and a good EQ.

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #4,521 of 11,286
Quote:

Stock wise, the XB700 trumps the XB1000 in sheer bass quantity. Even the sub-bass capabilities of the XB700 is about on par with the XB1000. The latter have a cleaner sound, but the comparative leanness of the bass makes it pale in comparison with the XB700. Amped well, the XB1000 can deliver a mid-bass punch that is about the same as the XB500/700 at stock levels. Sub-bass rumble is also enhanced by using a good amp. I don't have an E17, but the XB1000 scales well with an E11 and a good EQ.

I would rather have Clean sound with good bass than muddy bass where I can't make out the words well. Is that the case with the XB700?

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #4,522 of 11,286
Quote:
I would rather have Clean sound with good bass than muddy bass where I can't make out the words well. Is that the case with the XB700?

Then IMO, the XB line may not be for you.  It might be worth a trip to the Apple Store or Best Buy as they have dozens in store to try so that you can hear which is best for your taste.  Another headphone I would suggest is the Logitech UE6000 which is under $200.  I also like the general sound of the Monster DNA in that price range as well.

Jan 26, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #4,523 of 11,286
Quote:

Most of the XB series of cans are heavily boosted in the low-end. It's probably only with the XB1000 where the headphones reach a decent level of clarity. With the XB700, you're just going to get a ton of bass with comparatively poorer quality/clarity.

It really depends on the type of basshead you are. Some of us love clean sound with decent bass output. Others love huge bass. For me, the XB700 is right up my alley. I have lots of basshead cans, but I've always loved the XB-series. They just offer gobs of bass without pretending that it is anything but a bass monster.

What other cans have you tried that you like/dislike? Maybe we can offer better advice based on your inventory/experience?

Jan 26, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #4,524 of 11,286

Sounds like you truly are a Basshead. Try this - get the E-11 from Fiio and the Digizoid ZO, put them together and it will blow your mind. I have that combination of double amping with XB700s and/or XB500's and I'm still amazed two weeks later. The depth, quality and bass is unreal.

This is the coming trend for the true bass heads........double amping....... the way to go. :D

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #4,525 of 11,286
Quote:

Most of the XB series of cans are heavily boosted in the low-end. It's probably only with the XB1000 where the headphones reach a decent level of clarity. With the XB700, you're just going to get a ton of bass with comparatively poorer quality/clarity.

It really depends on the type of basshead you are. Some of us love clean sound with decent bass output. Others love huge bass. For me, the XB700 is right up my alley. I have lots of basshead cans, but I've always loved the XB-series. They just offer gobs of bass without pretending that it is anything but a bass monster.

What other cans have you tried that you like/dislike? Maybe we can offer better advice based on your inventory/experience?

Honestly Just cheap stuff. I have come to the point where I am able to spend some money on a good set of cans and I read good things about the XB Line. Like everyone I have heard the beats line and don't think much of them. They don't offer (to me anyways) the bass I am looking for.

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #4,526 of 11,286
Quote:
Sounds like you truly are a Basshead. Try this - get the E-11 from Fiio and the Digizoid ZO, put them together and it will blow your mind. I have that combination of double amping with XB700s and/or XB500's and I'm still amazed two weeks later. The depth, quality and bass is unreal.

This is the coming trend for the true bass heads........double amping....... the way to go.
biggrin.gif

Sounds insane.... lol

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #4,527 of 11,286
True bassheads don't double amp...they get a Schiit Lyr and blast the headphones out 
biggrin.gif

Anyways, there's a good chance that I'll be getting an XB1000 within the next few weeks. Those headphones have got me very interested in how they sound compared to my modded AD900s. Plus, those monster truck tires and the 70mm drivers never cease to amaze me. People have said the xb500 is the bassiest out of the xb lineup, with the 700 second, and the 1000 last (with audio quality being the opposite of this ranking), but I just feel like the 1000s will scale much better with an amp than the other headphones. 

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #4,528 of 11,286
Quote:
Then IMO, the XB line may not be for you.  It might be worth a trip to the Apple Store or Best Buy as they have dozens in store to try so that you can hear which is best for your taste.  Another headphone I would suggest is the Logitech UE6000 which is under $200.  I also like the general sound of the Monster DNA in that price range as well.

At best buy where I live they really only have the beats line and the S-Candies out. Which both suck to me. I have paid for and taken back so many headphones....

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #4,530 of 11,286
Actually the new XB800 is said to be bassiest. :) I can't imagine the bass of this thing, I remember some1 even said XB500 wasn't sounding that bassy next to his XB800. xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back