The Basshead Club
May 27, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #2,087 of 11,286
Quote:
You guys that are into bit of electronic/techno music, give Fabric 53 by Surgeon a listen, I have no comment on the bass this mix produces.

Enjoy.

Downloading in flac right now
L3000.gif

May 27, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #2,088 of 11,286
Quote:
...or maybe those two are just extremely bassy? I've said it before, but my HD25-1 when EQ:ed properly, is more of a bass monster than my Pro 900 to be honest. 

Yup, they sure are. I love my cans dark and punchy, with just a tad of treble detail. The HD25-1 offers a comparatively smoother all-round sound, but I'm just not feeling the capabilities of its bass presentation. I'll probably audition it again just to get a better feel, but I'm certain I'll end up with the PRO500MK2. :)

May 27, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #2,089 of 11,286
Quote:

Yup, they sure are. I love my cans dark and punchy, with just a tad of treble detail. The HD25-1 offers a comparatively smoother all-round sound, but I'm just not feeling the capabilities of its bass presentation. I'll probably audition it again just to get a better feel, but I'm certain I'll end up with the PRO500MK2. :)

I'm surprised there are so few mentions of the M-Audio Q40 as an amazing basshead can.  I listened to Pitbull's Planet Pit with a FiiO E11, treble reducer on the Iphone and bass on the E11 at the top setting.  I never heard such intense GOOD bass and sub-bass that didn't intrude on the mids.  EQ all you want, but the HD25 is anemic compared to these.  Of course, the HD25 has a natural disadvantage being supra aural.

May 27, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #2,090 of 11,286
Quote:
I'm surprised there are so few mentions of the M-Audio Q40 as an amazing basshead can.  I listened to Pitbull's Planet Pit with a FiiO E11, treble reducer on the Iphone and bass on the E11 at the top setting.  I never heard such intense GOOD bass and sub-bass that didn't intrude on the mids.  EQ all you want, but the HD25 is anemic compared to these.  Of course, the HD25 has a natural disadvantage being supra aural.

The Q40 has a small but loyal following here at Head-Fi. I would love to audition one, as it seems to be can with excellent bass response and good overall SQ. I don't normally buy cans without trying them first, but with the Q40, it's really difficult to do so. No stores around here sell the Q40, so if I'm going to get it, it'll be from recommendations and reviews on Head-Fi alone.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels the HD25's bass is lacking when compared with recent bass monsters. It's not found wanting in terms of bass quality, but the quantity is certainly far less than on most basshead cans.

May 28, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #2,094 of 11,286
Quote:
xD jeeze Z02 sounds so fickle, I'd go with a E11. Granted it's not as "fun" as digizoid but it's much simpler and has more power, I for one though am not a fan of "fun" bass,

I was actually considering buying that, but I needed something really portable, and it was the Z02 or the Ibasso T3/T4... and I thought  the bass booster on this, despite being more of a boost than an E6, was better for the mids and treble than other bass boosting because nothing bleeded. Again, its like a bypass so those beats stay as beats and the vocals stay as vocals, but I don't find it really helpful for non bass heavy music like jazz...... butttttttt it gives the best black  background everrrrrrrrrrrr

May 28, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #2,095 of 11,286
Quote:
Do you mean it lacked detail or intimacy? Or something else?

Well, it wasn't as detailed as my other cans. But the main thing I had a problem with was that it seemed a little muffled, as if it didn't know what notes to play so it played them all - as if it was confused.

I mean, it played every note as it should, it wasn't broken or anything. The above was just the feeling I got when listening to it. I listened to the HD25-1 afterwards and everything seemed so crystal clear on the HD25-1 ...

This feels a little awkward to me; I'm actually not a HD25-1 fanboy by any means, and I've had my many qualms with it before I finally gave in and accepted it for what it is. The HD25-1 is definitely not my favorite headphone (the Pro 900 is .. my, oh my). It's all really just a coincidence that I had been carrying it with me on my way to listen to the Q40. One of my biggest qualms with the HD25-1 is the lack of bass presence when not EQ:ed and properly amped. When I hook it up to my vintage integrated amplifier, a powerhorse for headphones, and turn my bass knob up - it literally becomes bassier than my Pro 900. When the Pro 900 gives in because of "too much bass" the HD25-1 just starts moving air and keeps asking for more.

I do however prefer the M50 over the HD25-1 by a lot though - in my opinion the M50 does most things right, that the HD25-1 does wrong.

May 28, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #2,097 of 11,286
Q40 seems to be particularly picky about amp used, I personally don't like the sound of Q40 with ZO2.3 nearly as much as with ZO2.1 for example and then you'd think these amps would sound pretty much the same being from the same manufacturer with similar components etc. I'm pretty blown away with my setup which is quite weird:

Realtek HD ALC889A -> digiZoid ZO2.1 at contour lvl 7 or so -> Custom "forward" Dolby Headphone foobar2000 config w/ WASAPI, enhanced natural soundstage, keeping original FR balance -> M-Audio Q40 with deepened stock pads mod for increased soundstage/separation and better fit

=> PURE AWESOMENESS

Natural, in-your-face tonality in instruments/vocals with very good microdetail and bass that's so strong yet wonderfully controlled, punchy and textured, highs that sound neutral, not shrill nor veiled, just right. Excellent soundstage and separation thanks to Dolby Headphone foobar2000 config. Subjective headphone sound quality with above setup (would be willing to pay based on what I hear for the headphone if it sounded like that stock): ~$300

I realize it won't sound nearly the same for every1 as my setup is kinda odd, I'd love to be able to demo this particular setup to others though hehe. I'm pretty confident it would help up well to a setup such as Denon D5000 + appropriate amp without any modding etc. The ZO2.1 has such a perfect synergy with the headphones and is more of a detail-booster in the bass, mids & highs than bass boost amp and the simple padmod + foobar2000 dolby headphone takes care of the weakest link - the soundstage which puts it there with great closed headphone soundstage performance and WASAPI is the last crucial part if listening through a computer to provide a very noticable boost in transparency and clarity in busy complex tracks.

May 28, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #2,098 of 11,286
Quote:
Any sibilance issues with the ATH-Pro700MK2?

Unamped, the PRO700MK2 doesn't display any issues with sibilance or treble highs. It is in fact quite a dark sounding headphone. Compared to the HFI 580, it sounds positively sibilance free. 
wink.gif

Quote:
Well, it wasn't as detailed as my other cans. But the main thing I had a problem with was that it seemed a little muffled, as if it didn't know what notes to play so it played them all - as if it was confused.

I mean, it played every note as it should, it wasn't broken or anything. The above was just the feeling I got when listening to it. I listened to the HD25-1 afterwards and everything seemed so crystal clear on the HD25-1 ...

This feels a little awkward to me; I'm actually not a HD25-1 fanboy by any means, and I've had my many qualms with it before I finally gave in and accepted it for what it is. The HD25-1 is definitely not my favorite headphone (the Pro 900 is .. my, oh my). It's all really just a coincidence that I had been carrying it with me on my way to listen to the Q40. One of my biggest qualms with the HD25-1 is the lack of bass presence when not EQ:ed and properly amped. When I hook it up to my vintage integrated amplifier, a powerhorse for headphones, and turn my bass knob up - it literally becomes bassier than my Pro 900. When the Pro 900 gives in because of "too much bass" the HD25-1 just starts moving air and keeps asking for more.

I do however prefer the M50 over the HD25-1 by a lot though - in my opinion the M50 does most things right, that the HD25-1 does wrong.

Well, if the potential is there for the HD25-1 to shine, I guess I have yet to give it the proper time/amping it deserves. Hopefully I'll find some time one of these days to go down to have another go at the Sennheisers. Unfortunately, my bass boost amps are only limited to the E11 and the ZO2.3, so that could be the reason why the HD25-1 fails to deliver (at least for me).

May 29, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #2,099 of 11,286
Quote:
Well, if the potential is there for the HD25-1 to shine, I guess I have yet to give it the proper time/amping it deserves. Hopefully I'll find some time one of these days to go down to have another go at the Sennheisers. Unfortunately, my bass boost amps are only limited to the E11 and the ZO2.3, so that could be the reason why the HD25-1 fails to deliver (at least for me).

Sure, you can try it out with an old AKAI amp if you really want to hear what I'm hearing. Although, from what I've heard, the ZO should be enough. The E11 is a good amp with plenty power, just not what I would refer to as a basshead amp. It's bass boosting capabilities are not entirely satisfactory imo.

May 29, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #2,100 of 11,286
Quote:
Sure, you can try it out with an old AKAI amp if you really want to hear what I'm hearing. Although, from what I've heard, the ZO should be enough. The E11 is a good amp with plenty power, just not what I would refer to as a basshead amp. It's bass boosting capabilities are not entirely satisfactory imo.

Yeah, I prefer the ZO2.3 to the E11 for bass boosting - it handles the scaling of the bass output very much better than the Fiio.

I actually tried out the HD25-1 in the hopes that it will be a good, portable basshead can. The Amperior HD25 is actually the one I was eyeing for, so if the HD25 was a good performer, I could wait for the Amperiors to arrive. As it stands, for a portable setup, the HD25-1 didn't really excite me, but I'll still give it another shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back