The Basshead Club
May 23, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #2,056 of 11,286
Quote:
If it's any consolation, I listened to the PRO 900 the other day along with several Ultrasones and (my opinion) thought the treble was so shrill they were unlistenable, but loved other higher end Ultrasones (Edition 8 and Signature Pro)

That's no consolation at all, bro! You're actually pushing me toward an even more expensive product! 
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, my HFI 580 is also bordering on sibilant and fatiguing with the highs. I think this could be a problem with most of their cans. I can live with them as I can always EQ down the treble. But higher end Ultrasones? No way! 
frown.gif

Quote:
you are going to have to amp that HD25 or eq it for a lot of bass, but it does have the potential. Perfect bass levels with the Digizoid Z02 on yellow-orange contour level

I agree. I'm not impressed by the bass levels of the HD25-1. It's tight and compact, but lacks quantity. I did a test between 3 supraural basshead cans the other day - PRO500MK2, TMA1 and HD 25-1 - and found the latter the least satisfying.

May 23, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #2,058 of 11,286
Quote:
help

how WS50 ATH compared to XB500?

thanks!!!

I have the WS50's successor, the WS55. The latter is better regarded than the original Solid Bass model.

What are you looking for? Just bass or overall sound quality?

The WS55 has more clarity and detail than the XB500. The mid-range is more forward than the XB model, and is a better can for general listening over a spectrum of genres.

The XB500 on the other hand is a bass monster. It's really only good for pushing out insane amounts of bass and is particularly suited for only a couple of genres, namely EDM and Rap/Hip-Hop. Everything else sounds too muffled and recessed.

May 23, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #2,059 of 11,286
Quote:

I have the WS50's successor, the WS55. The latter is better regarded than the original Solid Bass model.

What are you looking for? Just bass or overall sound quality?

The WS55 has more clarity and detail than the XB500. The mid-range is more forward than the XB model, and is a better can for general listening over a spectrum of genres.

The XB500 on the other hand is a bass monster. It's really only good for pushing out insane amounts of bass and is particularly suited for only a couple of genres, namely EDM and Rap/Hip-Hop. Everything else sounds too muffled and recessed.

the WS50 I sell it to offer price, for that specific model. (hence the question.)

I only listen electronic music (dnb, electro pop, electro house)

WS50 or XB500

would be better?

thanks,

(sorry  if my english is not very good).

May 23, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #2,060 of 11,286
Quote:
the WS50 I sell it to offer price, for that specific model. (hence the question.)

I only listen electronic music (dnb, electro pop, electro house)

WS50 or XB500

would be better?

thanks,

(sorry  if my english is not very good).

I would prefer the XB500, since its ability to deliver huge gobs of the low end makes for an extremely fun listening experience. EDM sounds fantastic with the XB500. :)

May 23, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #2,061 of 11,286
I was very tempted to get the WS55 but now you say the XB500 is better for EDM Im not sure now, as I hated the XB500 for EDM...it was just a muddy mess with zero clarity and no mids or highs! And IMO highs are very important to EDM :frowning2: 

May 23, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #2,062 of 11,286
Quote:
I was very tempted to get the WS55 but now you say the XB500 is better for EDM Im not sure now, as I hated the XB500 for EDM...it was just a muddy mess with zero clarity and no mids or highs! And IMO highs are very important to EDM :frowning2: 

I would choose the XB500 primarily because it delivers heavier bass reproduction with punchier beats. If that's not what you're really looking for, the WS55 is actually the better can as it reproduces a (more) balanced sound with good bass extension. I'm not a fan of sparkly highs, so that's why I prefer darker sounding cans with very good bass presence.

Our sound preferences are the differentiating factor here, and I would suggest you audition the WS55 if you can. Alternatively, check out Dsnut's thread as he offers a very good review of the cans. :)

May 23, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #2,063 of 11,286
Alright...cheers!

The ZO2 can make almost any can have the same punchy bass as the XB500 IMO so thats not a huge deciding factor for me 

Its touch finding a place to audition any ATH stuff in the UK though 
frown.gif

May 23, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #2,064 of 11,286
Quote:

That's no consolation at all, bro! You're actually pushing me toward an even more expensive product! 
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, my HFI 580 is also bordering on sibilant and fatiguing with the highs. I think this could be a problem with most of their cans. I can live with them as I can always EQ down the treble. But higher end Ultrasones? No way! 
frown.gif

I agree. I'm not impressed by the bass levels of the HD25-1. It's tight and compact, but lacks quantity. I did a test between 3 supraural basshead cans the other day - PRO500MK2, TMA1 and HD 25-1 - and found the latter the least satisfying.

How would you describe the overall sound of the TMA1?

May 23, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #2,065 of 11,286
Quote:
you are going to have to amp that HD25 or eq it for a lot of bass, but it does have the potential. Perfect bass levels with the Digizoid Z02 on yellow-orange contour level

xD jeeze Z02 sounds so fickle, I'd go with a E11. Granted it's not as "fun" as digizoid but it's much simpler and has more power, I for one though am not a fan of "fun" bass,

May 23, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #2,066 of 11,286
Quote:
How would you describe the overall sound of the TMA1?

The first thing that got to me was the overall sound presentation. The TMA1 is really dark, even more so when compared with the PRO500MK2, the younger sibling of the bass monster, the PRO700MK2. The bass is overly punchy and even somewhat boomy. The mids were very recessed but the highs were quite controlled. I liked the sound signature of the TMA1, but its plain black styling isn't very appealing. For a lower price, the PRO500MK2 delivers a comparative bass presentation with equally strong impact without sounding too dark. Besides, the AT can looks better, too.

May 23, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #2,067 of 11,286
Well there are 2 shops that I know that you can give a shot, but the selection of phones is still meh... One is Shasonic or something like that if I am not mistaking in Tottenham Court Road, next to the Odeon Cinema, they got a good range of Grado's there, some Sennheiser's, AT and you guessed it: beats! (LOL) and the other one if you particularly want to give the WS55 a listen is the big HMV in Oxford Street.

Alright...cheers!

The ZO2 can make almost any can have the same punchy bass as the XB500 IMO so thats not a huge deciding factor for me 

Its touch finding a place to audition any ATH stuff in the UK though :frowning2:

May 23, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #2,068 of 11,286
Quote:
Alright...cheers!

Its touch finding a place to audition any ATH stuff in the UK though 
frown.gif

I'm in agreement - there's absolutely no doubt about the prowess of the ZO2.3. :)

Well, one thing you must factor into consideration is the WS55 isn't exactly a circumaural can. It's way too small to surround your ears and coupled with a relatively strong clamping force makes for a somewhat uncomfortable experience. Initially, I was okay with the comfort levels of using the WS55, but as I used it more and more (it's currently hooked up to my computer), I realized that it can get quite wearisome to use. Of course, YMMV, but I wouldn't say it's a can that can be used for extended listening sessions.

May 23, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #2,069 of 11,286
XB500 is the best for EDM imo, I love mine. Unfortunately its not good for much else :p

May 23, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #2,070 of 11,286
Quote:
I've had my E17 for little over a month, but I use this baby hours a day everyday and leave it on. I will say that you're right about it smoothing out over time. The amp sounded a bit harsh when I first got it, but after a week or so, it sounded smoother. Maybe it was my ears adapting to the sound, I don't know. 

My E17 doesn't have the clipping issue that you're having, but you are driving orthos, so that may be the case there. The E11 is a more powerful amp than the E17 is, so it will fair better with harder to drive headphones, but you can always pair the two together with a FiiO L7.  That would be a great setup (If I may ask, can you get the L7 and see how both of them sound together?)

@Trae,

Hi, sorry it took so long to reply... I didn't know how long MP4Nation (I guess it came by way of their new US site via Amazon?) would take to send me an L7, and I didn't want you or anyone waiting around for news of a review.

However, I recieved the FiiO L7 today, and i'll pair up the E17 to the E11 and put up a short review for everyone. I hope it helps folks get a feel for how it would sound (and I hope it sounds good!) Anyhow, I'm off to go start listening and taking notes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back