The Basshead Club
May 22, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #2,041 of 11,286
I have been listening to my M-Audio Q40s for about 2 weeks and they are almost amazing.  I say almost because there is significant sibilance with certain tracks, even after burning in, particularly newer recordings with female vocals like Ellie Goulding and Mya.  The mids and highs on these are awesome- close to neutral, clean and fairly detailed for the price ($120).  The reason I am posting here is that I LOVE their bass- awesome punch and depth that feels controlled and never bleeds into the mids.  These headphones are the best multipurpose cans I ever heard- excellent with every genre- rock, pop, hip hop, even soft rock.  My question is this...can anyone recommend a headphone with a similar sound signature, killer bass AND that isn't sibilant? 

I have even tried EQ'ing the treble down and it didn't eliminate the problem.  I'm wondering if there is anything like that currently on the market or should I take a deep breath and wait to audition the Sennheiser Amperior and VModa M100 when they are released?

May 22, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #2,043 of 11,286
Quote:
Very nice, I still debating weather to get Ultra Pro 900 or DT 880, a new bass head can or a new balanced can xD

The best of both worlds is the Ultrasone Signature Pro- balanced with powerful, deep and accurate bass, bone-chilling mids and highs.  I listened to them the other day and they are heaven, but not in the budget.

May 22, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #2,044 of 11,286
Quote:
The best of both worlds is the Ultrasone Signature Pro- balanced with powerful, deep and accurate bass, bone-chilling mids and highs.  I listened to them the other day and they are heaven, but not in the budget.

No freaking wonder there are $1,300 <.< 

May 22, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #2,045 of 11,286
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Seems like I won't be buying them after all. If the Stock pros rival them, then that means my version will blow them out the water 
beyersmile.png

I guess that's because I have the earlier version of the M50s (Blue Box) which is known to have more bass emphasis. Maybe Parall3l should add the M50s Blue Box version to the list. Mine rivals the Pro's with velour pads installed on both headphones.

When both are stock, my m50s have more bass impact than the pros (the pads on the pros are at fault).

I edited this about 5 6 times, but this is the final final one...

Well, if you are satisfied with your modded PRO700MK2s, I don't think the XB series has anything else to offer. It's hard to offer enhanced bass levels without muddying up the sound too much, and I think AT has nailed it there. For the price, you're getting a solid bass monster that can handle the low frequencies well.

Anyway, I didn't know the old M50s were more bassy. My own M50 has the leanest bass among my cans - only the Sennheiser HD201 and HD219 have less bass presence, but not by much even. It's not to say they can't handle the low frequencies well, though; they can deliver nice rumbling bass when paired with a good bass booster.

May 22, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #2,046 of 11,286
Quote:
Very nice, I still debating weather to get Ultra Pro 900 or DT 880, a new bass head can or a new balanced can xD

For me, the choice is always clear. I'm absolutely in love with bass heavy cans - in that sense, I'm not a traditional audiophile. I'm probably a basshead audiophile. 
wink.gif

In any case, the Ultrasone PRO 900 is next on my list of cans. I'm just trying to convince myself not to buy it, as opposed to buying it. This hobby is really expensive. 
biggrin.gif

May 22, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #2,047 of 11,286
Quote:

For me, the choice is always clear. I'm absolutely in love with bass heavy cans - in that sense, I'm not a traditional audiophile. I'm probably a basshead audiophile. 
wink.gif

In any case, the Ultrasone PRO 900 is next on my list of cans. I'm just trying to convince myself not to buy it, as opposed to buying it. This hobby is really expensive. 
biggrin.gif

Trying being into Computers and Headphones... I just came into about $2000 for paying for college... *cough* *cough* 1300 down the drain *cough* *cough* me; "but mom the pc is for school, and this [Cowon D3] is a Wifi phone. So i can have a phone without having a phone" Mom; "iseewhatyoudidthar" 

May 22, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #2,048 of 11,286
Quote:
Trying being into Computers and Headphones... I just came into about $2000 for paying for college... *cough* *cough* 1300 down the drain *cough* *cough* me; "but mom the pc is for school, and this [Cowon D3] is a Wifi phone. So i can have a phone without having a phone" Mom; "iseewhatyoudidthar" 

LOL.. 
biggrin.gif

Yeah well, in this hobby, you've always go to find reasons to justify your purchase, no matter how unnecessary. "Another headphone? But you've already got so many!" << I get this every time I get a new can, and I hear it from everyone. So yup, I'm running out of reasons/excuses. 
triportsad.gif

May 22, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #2,049 of 11,286
Quote:

LOL.. 
biggrin.gif

Yeah well, in this hobby, you've always go to find reasons to justify your purchase, no matter how unnecessary. "Another headphone? But you've already got so many!" << I get this every time I get a new can, and I hear it from everyone. So yup, I'm running out of reasons/excuses. 
triportsad.gif

I feel ya bro... but that is why Audio Philes usally marry non Audiophiles... to keep them selvs from going broke xD. Besides what's sexy'r than a man with 8 pairs of giant cans! Also if you are a Female Audio Phile... you've been warned... you may be stocked... xD 

May 22, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #2,051 of 11,286
Quote:
You guys say headphones are an expensive hobby.

Wait until you get to HiFi  
wink_face.gif

Please, I'm into PC building trust me I know <.<

example

High End gpu $400

Enthusiast GPU $900... more than double for it and there is more specs

The point being... when you feel as though you can differenatiate between minuete differences... you pay $1000's of dollars to prove it to your self :3 

May 22, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #2,052 of 11,286
Quote:

wink.gif

biggrin.gif

If it's any consolation, I listened to the PRO 900 the other day along with several Ultrasones and (my opinion) thought the treble was so shrill they were unlistenable, but loved other higher end Ultrasones (Edition 8 and Signature Pro)

May 22, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #2,053 of 11,286
Quote:
If it's any consolation, I listened to the PRO 900 the other day along with several Ultrasones and (my opinion) thought the treble was so shrill they were unlistenable, but loved other higher end Ultrasones (Edition 8 and Signature Pro)

I've heard that to, get a good dark amp and pump up that bass and cut that treble, the XB700 [un modded] is a little harsh as well

May 23, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #2,054 of 11,286
Quote:
Really need some advise... HD-25-1 ll for 105€ OR hfi-580 for 99€.
Price is almost the same so which one is worth his money more?

you are going to have to amp that HD25 or eq it for a lot of bass, but it does have the potential. Perfect bass levels with the Digizoid Z02 on yellow-orange contour level

May 23, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #2,055 of 11,286
Quote:
I feel ya bro... but that is why Audio Philes usally marry non Audiophiles... to keep them selvs from going broke xD. Besides what's sexy'r than a man with 8 pairs of giant cans! Also if you are a Female Audio Phile... you've been warned... you may be stocked... xD 

Quote:
You guys say headphones are an expensive hobby.

Wait until you get to HiFi  
wink_face.gif

It's a good thing then, that I'm not into speakers. I like my listening to be private. The only way I'll start getting into speakers is if I have a thoroughly soundproofed room to begin with.

No, wait..... 
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back