The Basshead Club
May 29, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #2,101 of 11,286
Quote:

Yeah, I prefer the ZO2.3 to the E11 for bass boosting - it handles the scaling of the bass output very much better than the Fiio.

I actually tried out the HD25-1 in the hopes that it will be a good, portable basshead can. The Amperior HD25 is actually the one I was eyeing for, so if the HD25 was a good performer, I could wait for the Amperiors to arrive. As it stands, for a portable setup, the HD25-1 didn't really excite me, but I'll still give it another shot.

The thing is though, that I haven't tried the HD25-1 with the ZO at all. So I can't really say if I agree or disagree with your experience. All I know is that I can make it move more air than both my Denons and Ultrasones with my old amp. I mean, seriously lots of air. I haven't had such luck with the E11 or the bass boosting on the Cowon players. So in a way, I can see where you're coming from. But from this is old amp, it becomes a real basshead option. 

May 29, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #2,102 of 11,286
Whats the thoughts on the best portable on ear headphones under £100 (preferably with in line mic) is it the WS55i?

Thanks guys! 
tongue.gif

May 29, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #2,103 of 11,286
Quote:
The thing is though, that I haven't tried the HD25-1 with the ZO at all. So I can't really say if I agree or disagree with your experience. All I know is that I can make it move more air than both my Denons and Ultrasones with my old amp. I mean, seriously lots of air. I haven't had such luck with the E11 or the bass boosting on the Cowon players. So in a way, I can see where you're coming from. But from this is old amp, it becomes a real basshead option. 

My take on this is the HD25 shines only with the right amp. It probably suffers from a lack of synergy with the ZO2.3 and Fiio E11.

Anyway, the PRO900 are a really AWESOME basshead can. I've just got mine and boy, are they fantastic for EDM! A good combination of powerful and impact lows with some nice treble sparkle makes for a good end to end sound. Only word I can say.. WOW. :)

On a sidenote, my Crossfade LP2s came in with my Ultrasones. RPGWizard wasn't kidding when he said they are as bassy as the XB500. They. Are. Shaking. 
L3000.gif

May 29, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #2,104 of 11,286
Quote:
Whats the thoughts on the best portable on ear headphones under £100 (preferably with in line mic) is it the WS55i?

Thanks guys! 
tongue.gif

In its price range, the WS55 is a good performer, no doubt. Bass impact isn't very hard hitting, but clarity and extension is pretty darn good. If you're looking for one below 100 quid with an inline mic, I don't think there are too many better options than the WS55.

Just bear in mind though, they don't fold, and the cans come without a carrying pouch. That kinda kills the portability factor for me. :/

May 29, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #2,105 of 11,286
Quote:

My take on this is the HD25 shines only with the right amp. It probably suffers from a lack of synergy with the ZO2.3 and Fiio E11.

Most probably, yes. However, those folks looking for a more balanced sound would probably say that the synergy between E11/ZO2.3 and HD25-1 is very good. LOL

Anyway, the PRO900 are a really AWESOME basshead can. I've just got mine and boy, are they fantastic for EDM! A good combination of powerful and impact lows with some nice treble sparkle makes for a good end to end sound. Only word I can say.. WOW. :)

Agreed. They really are something spectacular for some music. Just don't go listening to acoustic rock or indie rock bands with a bad mastering .. they'll sound awful. For EDM though, I've yet to experience something better.

May 29, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #2,106 of 11,286
Quote:

On a sidenote, my Crossfade LP2s came in with my Ultrasones. RPGWizard wasn't kidding when he said they are as bassy as the XB500. They. Are. Shaking. 
L3000.gif

How is the extension on the Pro 900s? 

That would be my main gripe if I bought them and they didn't go very low.

May 29, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #2,107 of 11,286
Quote:

L3000.gif

gotta agree there, while the HD25 works greatly with the Digizoid Z02 for bass and fun factor, but it has pretty bad synergy in terms of the Z02 smoothing out the detail of the HD25. Is the E11 actually bad with the E11? I thought it would have had pretty good synergy

oh and does the pro900 provide some of that brain shaking bass with your z02?

May 29, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #2,108 of 11,286
Quote:
gotta agree there, while the HD25 works greatly with the Digizoid Z02 for bass and fun factor, but it has pretty bad synergy in terms of the Z02 smoothing out the detail of the HD25. Is the E11 actually bad with the E11? I thought it would have had pretty good synergy

It's not bad, it's just not basshead material with the E11 (I assume you asked about HD25-1 & E11).

May 29, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #2,110 of 11,286
Quote:
FWIR the ZO2 does not sound good with the Pro900.

poo :<

Quote:
It's not bad, it's just not basshead material with the E11 (I assume you asked about HD25-1 & E11).

yeah that's what I meant, my bad XD
and yeah so outside of the bass range does it sound substantially better? I've been considering selling my HD25 Adidas because it is very bright, and i would like something more mid centric, or more so like the M50 with very smooth abundant amounts of treble. 

May 30, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #2,111 of 11,286
Quote:
yeah that's what I meant, my bad XD
and yeah so outside of the bass range does it sound substantially better? I've been considering selling my HD25 Adidas because it is very bright, and i would like something more mid centric, or more so like the M50 with very smooth abundant amounts of treble. 

Well, the E11 is quite transparent so it won't make it warmer. It tightens up the bass a bit, yeah, but it won't won't change the headphone from bright to warm. I think the M50 is a good headphone, although it might not be as dark as you may wish for it to be. It's a bit funnier I think, but you'd probably want something else anyway. Perhaps the TMA-1? It's supposed to be a little darker ..

May 30, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #2,112 of 11,286
Quote:

Well, the E11 is quite transparent so it won't make it warmer. It tightens up the bass a bit, yeah, but it won't won't change the headphone from bright to warm. I think the M50 is a good headphone, although it might not be as dark as you may wish for it to be. It's a bit funnier I think, but you'd probably want something else anyway. Perhaps the TMA-1? It's supposed to be a little darker ..

I think the TMA will be too dark for me, I had the MS400, and I thought that was about as dark as I want, and I like the M50, but i wish the mids weren't as recessed, I like the treble energy because it wasn't fatiguing, still maybe a little less of it would be nice. From what I remember I did enjoy the DT770 a lot ^^. 

May 30, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #2,113 of 11,286
Quote:
I think the TMA will be too dark for me, I had the MS400, and I thought that was about as dark as I want, and I like the M50, but i wish the mids weren't as recessed, I like the treble energy because it wasn't fatiguing, still maybe a little less of it would be nice. From what I remember I did enjoy the DT770 a lot ^^. 

Ah, well, go for the M50. I thought the E11 worked well with the M50 when I had them.

May 30, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #2,114 of 11,286
Quote:

Most probably, yes. However, those folks looking for a more balanced sound would probably say that the synergy between E11/ZO2.3 and HD25-1 is very good. LOL

Agreed. They really are something spectacular for some music. Just don't go listening to acoustic rock or indie rock bands with a bad mastering .. they'll sound awful. For EDM though, I've yet to experience something better.

Haha. I guess I'm not one of those looking for a balanced sound, then? :D

One thing good about the HD25 is its durability and comfort. I think I can wear them for hours without any issue. I can't say the same for most of my other cans. :/

Quote:
How is the extension on the Pro 900s? 

That would be my main gripe if I bought them and they didn't go very low.

Bass extension on the PRO 900 is pretty good. It is about on par with my XB1000, but it delivers clearer and punchier bass. The impact is almost similar to an XB700, but with really good treble sparkle and a more forward midrange. All in all, it delivers the bass slam that bassheads crave without sacrificing the other parts of the sound spectrum. Pretty darn good, I must say.

May 30, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #2,115 of 11,286
Quote:

oh and does the pro900 provide some of that brain shaking bass with your z02?

Quote:
FWIR the ZO2 does not sound good with the Pro900.

I concur with Prakhar's assessment. The ZO2.3 muddies up the sound on the PRO 900. I don't have my Fiio E11 with me right now to compare, but I'm listening to it with my D-Zero instead. Cowon Z2 (amped) + D-Zero is a better match than with the ZO2.3. For some reason, I can't seem to get the quaking bass on the Ultrasones without sacrificing on clarity. It's a bit disappointing, but at least I can still get the bass impact I need from the Cowon's native EQ settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back