The Basshead Club
Apr 18, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #1,666 of 11,286
So I'm loving my XB500's but here's what I'd like input on - what IEM has great bass AND has the style that stays in your ears like the Bose IE2 (with the rubber snap on holders) WITHOUT having to go to an audiologist?  Tall order................

TIA

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #1,667 of 11,286

Quote:
So I'm loving my XB500's but here's what I'd like input on - what IEM has great bass AND has the style that stays in your ears like the Bose IE2 (with the rubber snap on holders) WITHOUT having to go to an audiologist?  Tall order................

TIA

Well, the Klipsch S4 has at least a lot of bass. I don't know whether you'd think of it as good bass or not, since I can't compare them with the bass of XB500. But there's a lot of it, for a pretty good price, I think they go for about the same price as the XB500. Plus they usually fit pretty good, Klipsch are known for their eargels that are really good. If you go up in your budget there are better considerations out there. I just happen to like the S4 pretty much, and it's very EQ:able without starting to distort.

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #1,668 of 11,286

velodyn vpulse has tons of deep bass.  and it just so happens that I am selling a practically brand new pair in the FS section.  Love the sound but I find that I don't use them all the time.  If you are using the xb500 as your primary set then these are your IEM.  I have had the Hippo VB, Fischer Audio Eterna v1, and the Klipsch s4.  Velodyne is better bass than all IMO.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/606052/fs-velodne-vpulse

Apr 18, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #1,669 of 11,286

900$ car?.. without tires and an engine maybe.. well, ontopic: I agree... 900$ is just.. crazy
Quote:
Even if I sold all my earphones, and all my headphones, and all my amps, and possibly even my sound card, i still wouldn't get to $900.

So long story short:
No. Never will i buy a set of $900 earphones, that's just silly (at least for me)

I could buy a car at that price - and most probably will in the future :wink:

Apr 18, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #1,670 of 11,286
I just sold a fully functioning minivan for $1500.  a fully functioning car for $900 isn't impossible.

Apr 18, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #1,671 of 11,286
Yeah thats true.. The ice cream van in Borat (movie)
popcorn.gif

Quote:
I just sold a fully functioning minivan for $1500.  a fully functioning car for $900 isn't impossible.

Apr 18, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #1,673 of 11,286

Quote:
Btw: Is the Pro 900 (250 euro) worth it vs the Beyer 770's 80 or 250Ohm (120 euro)?
In terms of satisfying a basshead?

I can't say anything about the Beyer 770, except that it has a good reputation of having a good bass. Pro 900 is a good basshead can (edit:), although I have to add that as a basshead, it would probably become somewhat of a letdown. I'm not sure if it's my equipment before the headphones, but I can't crank the bass up too much because of the resonance. Not EQ:ed it takes the cake for bass, but EQ:ing it is counter-productive IMO. In that sense, my HD25-1 II is a true masterpiece, you can EQ that can into a leaf blower and it would still ask you for more.

Where can you find a Pro 900 for 250 euro? That is a very good price for the Pro 900.

Apr 18, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #1,674 of 11,286
I would imagine if one were to acquire a $900 car, and they told people on this thread, then their will quickly be double that amount in wiring/installation and speakers...Or at least, that's how all my friends roll.
Quote:
900$ car?.. without tires and an engine maybe.. well, ontopic: I agree... 900$ is just.. crazy

Apr 18, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #1,675 of 11,286

Bhphotovideo in NYC (330 dollar converted to euros is +- 250 euro) They don't have them in stock now but they'll...
So wait... You say that the HD-25s are better for bass than the pro 900s?.... 
Quote:
I can't say anything about the Beyer 770, except that it has a good reputation of having a good bass. Pro 900 is a good basshead can (edit:), although I have to add that as a basshead, it would probably become somewhat of a letdown. I'm not sure if it's my equipment before the headphones, but I can't crank the bass up too much because of the resonance. Not EQ:ed it takes the cake for bass, but EQ:ing it is counter-productive IMO. In that sense, my HD25-1 II is a true masterpiece, you can EQ that can into a leaf blower and it would still ask you for more.

Where can you find a Pro 900 for 250 euro? That is a very good price for the Pro 900.

Apr 18, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #1,676 of 11,286

Quote:
Bhphotovideo in NYC (330 dollar converted to euros is +- 250 euro) They don't have them in stock now but they'll...
So wait... You say that the HD-25s are better for bass than the pro 900s?.... 

Well, I don't find the Pro 900 being as able to take EQ:ing of the bass as the HD25-1. The Pro 900's are indeed very bassy even without EQ:ing, but it is also prone to resonance issues IMO. The HD25-1 is not as prone to said issues, however, it is not a very bassy can to begin with (non-EQ:ed).

Start messing with EQ:ing and you'll find that the HD25-1 is *able* to output quite the bass response. As for which of them is the bassier with or without EQ (Pro 900 with little EQ, and HD25-1 with lots), it's hard to say. But I can crank the bass of the HD25-1 to the max, without any kinds of sonic issues, which leads me to believe that in the end - the HD25-1 could possibly surpass the Pro 900 when it comes to bass. Please have in mind though, that the bass of the HD25-1 is pretty dull and a little of a letdown without EQ:ing, while the Pro 900 really sounds the best without EQ:ing - the bass is there even without EQ.

So, in order to answer your question you have to ask yourself first: do you have the ability to manipulate bass, preferrably through hardware (instead of a digital EQ in your DAP/computer)? If so, then you can make the HD25-1 a basshead can. If not, I'd pick the Pro 900 over the HD25-1.

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #1,677 of 11,286
The Westone 3 has agreat fit and a strong bass and the Atrios fit aint the best but it is warm, detailed and has the best sub-bass compared to any universal earphone and most customs.
Quote:

TIA

Apr 19, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #1,678 of 11,286
But with overall sound: isn't the pro 900 better than the HD-25s? I'm so confused now... I thought that the pro 900s are "the king of bass" but now I read about the beyer 770s and hd-25s...
Quote:
Well, I don't find the Pro 900 being as able to take EQ:ing of the bass as the HD25-1. The Pro 900's are indeed very bassy even without EQ:ing, but it is also prone to resonance issues IMO. The HD25-1 is not as prone to said issues, however, it is not a very bassy can to begin with (non-EQ:ed).

Start messing with EQ:ing and you'll find that the HD25-1 is *able* to output quite the bass response. As for which of them is the bassier with or without EQ (Pro 900 with little EQ, and HD25-1 with lots), it's hard to say. But I can crank the bass of the HD25-1 to the max, without any kinds of sonic issues, which leads me to believe that in the end - the HD25-1 could possibly surpass the Pro 900 when it comes to bass. Please have in mind though, that the bass of the HD25-1 is pretty dull and a little of a letdown without EQ:ing, while the Pro 900 really sounds the best without EQ:ing - the bass is there even without EQ.

So, in order to answer your question you have to ask yourself first: do you have the ability to manipulate bass, preferrably through hardware (instead of a digital EQ in your DAP/computer)? If so, then you can make the HD25-1 a basshead can. If not, I'd pick the Pro 900 over the HD25-1.

Apr 19, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #1,679 of 11,286

Quote:
But with overall sound: isn't the pro 900 better than the HD-25s? I'm so confused now... I thought that the pro 900s are "the king of bass" but now I read about the beyer 770s and hd-25s...

Overall I like the Pro 900 better than the HD25-1. As said, it takes quite a lot of EQ to make the HD25-1 perform to basshead levels. I don't know how to explain it better.

Non-EQ:ed:
1) Pro 900 (more bass and in my opinion better sound overall)
2) HD25-1 (less bass and in my opinion slightly dull sound)

EQ:ed:
The Pro 900 bass starts to sound "flabby" (or how to say it, it just sounds bad) after a while. The HD25-1 bass just goes stronger and stronger without issues.

Those are my experiences with both headphones.

Apr 19, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #1,680 of 11,286
mmmhhhnn.. okay.. I'm a basshead but of course I value the overall sound very high... I just want something that makes you say "wow, 
basshead.gif
, you mad bro?".
Mostly bass wil make you wow and in combination with an overall great sound...
Quote:

Overall I like the Pro 900 better than the HD25-1. As said, it takes quite a lot of EQ to make the HD25-1 perform to basshead levels. I don't know how to explain it better.

Non-EQ:ed:
1) Pro 900 (more bass and in my opinion better sound overall)
2) HD25-1 (less bass and in my opinion slightly dull sound)

EQ:ed:
The Pro 900 bass starts to sound "flabby" (or how to say it, it just sounds bad) after a while. The HD25-1 bass just goes stronger and stronger without issues.

Those are my experiences with both headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back