The Audio Technica W3000ANV Thread
Aug 26, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #603 of 1,529
Wider soundstage, less colored, more sprarkle..more airy and spacious..I tend to listen at high volume levels and the W3000anv sometimes sounds congested so I have to lower the volume a lot to make it less congested..I also detect an upper bass bump with the W3000anv that really bothers me... But to be fair I have to say that there are some songs where the W3000 really shines but unfortunately for me there are not many of those on my music collection

Aug 27, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #604 of 1,529
okay. how about the mids? the th900's are a bit recessed right? i need to get me some of them mids.

Aug 27, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #605 of 1,529
It's the midrange where the TH900 was lacking, for me personally. It's mids were slightly recessed, dry, and thin, which may have to do with the bass and treble both being somewhat accentuated :D

But I freely admit I tend to listen at somewhat lower levels. It may well be the case that the W3000ANV is the better low-medium volume headphone.

Aug 27, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #608 of 1,529
I have both the W3000 anv and the TH900 and IMHO the TH900 is on a league above

I have both and completely disagree with the above statement.

Aug 27, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #609 of 1,529
Thinness in mids or treble or overall?

I would say overall thinness. By comparison the TH900, to my ears, sounds rich & smooth, with punchier bass, but that is it as far as advantages. The W3000 wins in every other department; soundstage width, air, separation and clarity.

To many the decision comes down to the quality of the mids (I'm one of them), and I feel the choice is one between fuller but recessed mids (TH900), or thinner but wider and clearer mids (W3000). Tradeoffs.

Aug 27, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #610 of 1,529
What I want to know is how come me and Muppet are the only ones to report that the W3k colouration results in a 'thinness' to the sound. It was immediately apparent to me and surprised only two members have mentioned it that I know of.

you're girls!? :wink:

Aug 28, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #611 of 1,529
Quote:
It's the midrange where the TH900 was lacking, for me personally. It's mids were slightly recessed, dry, and thin, which may have to do with the bass and treble both being somewhat accentuated
biggrin.gif

But I freely admit I tend to listen at somewhat lower levels. It may well be the case that the W3000ANV is the better low-medium volume headphone.

I listen at fairly low volumes as well, and the W3000ANV are suitable for that.  Decent isolation helps greatly.

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #612 of 1,529
Quote:
What I want to know is how come me and Muppet are the only ones to report that the W3k colouration results in a 'thinness' to the sound. It was immediately apparent to me and surprised only two members have mentioned it that I know of.

Probably b/c most ppl don't find it problematic or thin doesn't equate to bad sound. The sound is full-bodied and intimate in presentation in other areas to keep it from sounding anemic. Mid-bass sounds thick, mids very present and sultry, and a slight treble tilt that can sound forward at times. The thinness to the notes gives the headphone's sound a light touch to me.

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #613 of 1,529
There's thinness when the headphones are plugged straight into my DAC rather than my Zana. I wouldn't describe it as thin through a proper amp. My HD800 has the same characteristics with the same situations. However, I won't lie. The W3000ANV is a bit bright in the mids. Thin is not the word I'd use though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back