The Audio Technica W3000ANV Thread
Feb 14, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #781 of 1,529
could understand that if you were talking about the th900 but not the w3000anv. guess we hear it differently.
I will be trying the W3000ANVs with the Svetlana tomorrow. Let's see if that slight simbilance I hear gets completely eradicated.

The W3000s are already very good to my ears, it'll be interesting to see how it performs at it's supposed "best pairing" as mentioned by several people.

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #782 of 1,529
  I was considering getting a set of W3000ANVs.
Tried it at my local store, but it sounded very sharp and bright.
Is it supposed to be like that?

I suspect it may be the amp pairing too.
Tried it on the iCAN, fulliFi  setup, HDVD800 and HP-A4

Even more important is what audio signal did you feed to the player + amp + W3000ANV chain. What was its quality and did it have a balanced sound ? Did it have screwed up treble to begin with, was the track or album badly mastered ? W3000ANV are neutral headphones with a slight 'warm' sound; when tubes/valves are in the audio signal path W3000ANV's sound shifts a little bit further to the bass end of the spectrum. That said, the treble of W3000ANV is at the edge of being 'sharp' and the shrill tracks and albums will be exposed as shrill, especially when used with solid state amplifiers.
A possible cause of the treble problem that you reported - from the review of ' iCAN ' about what happens when flipping the 3D switch : "Unfortunately this switch also boosts the high end frequencies a bit and so if your headphones or music are already kind of bright, it can be a bit too much. "
http://www.head-fi.org/t/654405/ican-amp-review-a-new-amp-that-gives-you-more-more-bass-more-soundstage-and-more-detail

Other possible causes of treble excess aside from the 'components' mismatch : 
A - There has been no reported cases of mistuned W3000ANV drivers but nothing in this world is perfect and there is a slight possibility that you found drivers that are somewhat 'off the tune'. 
B - There are personal slight variations of the perception of sound, naturally, since we do not share the same set of ears. The size and shape of one's ears, the diameter and length of the ear canal and the number of neurons and quality of the interconnectivity of one's brain neurons that deal with processing sound all play roles in how we hear. Another variable is damage to one's hearing caused by years of listening to very loud or even just loud music if there have been no adequate periods of quietness between listenings. In this case there would be an oversensitivity to high frequency sound. 
C - A personal sensitivity to high frequency sound of one is used to a certain sound signature, if one is used to listening to 'laid back' and treble reduced sound of music. In this case it would take a few weeks or months to get used to the sound that has a different frequency balance. When adjusted, the sound processing part of your brain will filter out some excessive treble and you will hear more mellow sound.

A hybrid tubes/valves + solid state components amplifier or a full tubes/valves amplifier helps in flattening the treble of W3000ANV a bit if you find these headphones too 'bright'; even a portable hybrid like the Continental is a help. But to my ears W3000ANV do not have sharp treble, in fact the treble is just about right and I even wish it was a bit more extended.
My feeling is that you listened to a sound of lousy quality or an up-chain component was not good enough or not good enough fit. There is a lot of badly mastered music out everywhere. Garbage in means garbage out of headphones. If you own these headphones then you need a second set of headphones of inferior quality that have reduced/rolled off treble, to use them when listening to shrill tracks and albums. W3000ANV is a tool to enjoy, preferably, the recordings of high quality.
An example of a well mastered HD track, the treble of W3000ANV is perfect, perfect when the music flows, well present and with a cutting edge but smooth and non offensive.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ST9TZBb9v8

Feb 14, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #783 of 1,529
I will be trying the W3000ANVs with the Svetlana tomorrow. Let's see if that slight simbilance I hear gets completely eradicated.

The W3000s are already very good to my ears, it'll be interesting to see how it performs at it's supposed "best pairing" as mentioned by several people.

i hear some sibilance with vocals

Feb 17, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #784 of 1,529
You tried it at Stereo? Yes, amp pairing is a reason. My Naim does a decent job but I think I can push it further. I should be picking up another amp for it (testing this weekend). You are welcome to come over to my office to try once I do. We could walk over to Adelphi to try the Yamamoto too, a supposedly good match.

Thanks so much for the offer! Sent you a PM! :)

Even more important is what audio signal did you feed to the player + amp + W3000ANV chain. What was its quality and did it have a balanced sound ? Did it have screwed up treble to begin with, was the track or album badly mastered ? W3000ANV are neutral headphones with a slight 'warm' sound; when tubes/valves are in the audio signal path W3000ANV's sound shifts a little bit further to the bass end of the spectrum. That said, the treble of W3000ANV is at the edge of being 'sharp' and the shrill tracks and albums will be exposed as shrill, especially when used with solid state amplifiers.
A possible cause of the treble problem that you reported - from the review of ' iCAN ' about what happens when flipping the 3D switch : "Unfortunately this switch also boosts the high end frequencies a bit and so if your headphones or music are already kind of bright, it can be a bit too much. "
http://www.head-fi.org/t/654405/ican-amp-review-a-new-amp-that-gives-you-more-more-bass-more-soundstage-and-more-detail

Other possible causes of treble excess aside from the 'components' mismatch : 
A - There has been no reported cases of mistuned W3000ANV drivers but nothing in this world is perfect and there is a slight possibility that you found drivers that are somewhat 'off the tune'. 
B - There are personal slight variations of the perception of sound, naturally, since we do not share the same set of ears. The size and shape of one's ears, the diameter and length of the ear canal and the number of neurons and quality of the interconnectivity of one's brain neurons that deal with processing sound all play roles in how we hear. Another variable is damage to one's hearing caused by years of listening to very loud or even just loud music if there have been no adequate periods of quietness between listenings. In this case there would be an oversensitivity to high frequency sound. 
C - A personal sensitivity to high frequency sound of one is used to a certain sound signature, if one is used to listening to 'laid back' and treble reduced sound of music. In this case it would take a few weeks or months to get used to the sound that has a different frequency balance. When adjusted, the sound processing part of your brain will filter out some excessive treble and you will hear more mellow sound.

A hybrid tubes/valves + solid state components amplifier or a full tubes/valves amplifier helps in flattening the treble of W3000ANV a bit if you find these headphones too 'bright'; even a portable hybrid like the Continental is a help. But to my ears W3000ANV do not have sharp treble, in fact the treble is just about right and I even wish it was a bit more extended.
My feeling is that you listened to a sound of lousy quality or an up-chain component was not good enough or not good enough fit. There is a lot of badly mastered music out everywhere. Garbage in means garbage out of headphones. If you own these headphones then you need a second set of headphones of inferior quality that have reduced/rolled off treble, to use them when listening to shrill tracks and albums. W3000ANV is a tool to enjoy, preferably, the recordings of high quality.
An example of a well mastered HD track, the treble of W3000ANV is perfect, perfect when the music flows, well present and with a cutting edge but smooth and non offensive.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ST9TZBb9v8

I guess I have to listen to it again. Maybe because I was a little tired that day too.
I remember the first time I listened to the W3000ANV, it was through the Fostex HP-A8 and it just sounded magnificent.

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #785 of 1,529

I picked up the ADL Svetlana 2 over the weekend. It's synergy with the W3000ANVs, are magical. I have never heard presence and body quite like that from the phones, and it's simbilance is all but removed. 

All the magic, more full bodied, less simbilance. Synergy is amazing. Yes, welcome to try. I'll reply you in a few days when things clear up. The Naim > Svetlana > W3000ANV (HD800 too)  is a magic combo.

I'll post my impressions on these combos soon. We spent 7 hours auditioning.  

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #786 of 1,529

I guess I have to listen to it again. Maybe because I was a little tired that day too.
I remember the first time I listened to the W3000ANV, it was through the Fostex HP-A8 and it just sounded magnificent.

As a side question, how would you evaluate ESW11LTD against A900X LTD ? Bass, mids, treble - body / thickness of tones - soundstage.

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #787 of 1,529
  As a side question, how would you evaluate ESW11LTD against A900X LTD ? Bass, mids, treble - body / thickness of tones - soundstage.

Posted over at the ESW11LTD thread instead!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/631719/new-audio-technica-ath-esw11ltd/630#post_10280571

Hope it helps! :)

Feb 17, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #788 of 1,529

I picked up the ADL Svetlana 2 over the weekend. It's synergy with the W3000ANVs, are magical. I have never heard presence and body quite like that from the phones, and it's simbilance is all but removed. 

All the magic, more full bodied, less simbilance. Synergy is amazing. Yes, welcome to try. I'll reply you in a few days when things clear up. The Naim > Svetlana > W3000ANV (HD800 too)  is a magic combo.

I'll post my impressions on these combos soon. We spent 7 hours auditioning.  

That's great to hear.  There are only limited impressions about them here or elsewhere on the internet, but it seems they had designed the Svetlana2 with the W3000ANV in mind so it's great to hear another person saying they are a good pairing.  I've not heard any sibilance issues with my two amps so I guess either my hearing is bad or I have been lucky with good amp matches.  

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #789 of 1,529
Can't find W3000ANV in any online shop. Could anyone give me some trusted source for new W3000ANV?

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #790 of 1,529
http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/audiotechnica-athw3000anv-anniversary-edition-headphones-prodid-4252.html

As a side note, don't even bother trying to work them down on price- not even a few pounds.  I couldn't get them to budge at all.  :0

Feb 19, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #791 of 1,529
  Can't find W3000ANV in any online shop. Could anyone give me some trusted source for new W3000ANV?

That's unlikely. They were a limited "special edition" run and they've most likely all sold out now. You're best bet is the used market.

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #792 of 1,529

Was about to get myself one set when my local shop announced that there were only 3 sets left (AT SEA office is in my country, Singapore).
When they said announced that there was one set left, it was snapped up to quickly for me to react. :frowning2:

Feb 20, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #793 of 1,529

Was about to get myself one set when my local shop announced that there were only 3 sets left (AT SEA office is in my country, Singapore).
When they said announced that there was one set left, it was snapped up to quickly for me to react. :frowning2:

That's unlikely. They were a limited "special edition" run and they've most likely all sold out now. You're best bet is the used market.

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/audiotechnica-athw3000anv-anniversary-edition-headphones-prodid-4252.html

As a side note, don't even bother trying to work them down on price- not even a few pounds.  I couldn't get them to budge at all.  :0

Dear All,

Thanks for your comments. I have W1000, ESW11LTD, W5000 (just get tracking number). I read a very good thing about 3000ANV, and need it in my collection. I already check with https://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/, they don't ship it to Thailand. Hope that I can find used with good condition.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #794 of 1,529
I know that a high end headphone store in Taipei that has a few them new still. Or they did last month when I went.

Feb 21, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #795 of 1,529
I got offer used at $1400. And I still consider to buy new from https://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/. I has some shipping agent to ship it for me from UK, but their shipping fee is very very expensive, and my goods always came with bad condition.

Anyhow, just get my ATH-W5000 today. Will enjoy with this woodies for a while, and seeking for the cheapest solution

Users who are viewing this thread

Back