The Audio Technica W3000ANV Thread
Oct 13, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #46 of 1,529
Quote:
Can anyone comment on how these compare/contrast with the Beyer T1's?

How do people find the AT's for classical/large orchestral music? Or might they be more suited for chamber/more intimate recordings?

i think they do well with large scale classical recordings. Pretty much all around headphones with any type of music. They really shine with vocal and acoustic recordings as well.

Oct 13, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #47 of 1,529
Sold my T1s, keeping my W3000anvs. T1s were a little too tight-sounding for me with some too-splashy highs, sometimes a bit siren-like on some CDs.
The W3000anvs let me breathe easy.
T1s were mighty comfy though, maybe the most comfortable phones ever for me, even better than R10s.
No pressure, no hot feeling, no excess weight.

Oct 14, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #51 of 1,529
Quote:
Bought one of these off Amazon for 1049 @ 16 in stock.  2 hours later price is 1099 @ 14 in stock.  lol

Bought mine (Serial #1400) from Beach Camera for $999.00 back in April so it finally appears that very soon this limited edition headphone will only be available in the used marketplace.

I absolutely love how they sound when plugged into my EAR HP-4 or my Leben CS-600.

The W3000ANV must be one of the better kept secrets in hi-end audio for the original inventory of 2000 units to have lasted this long.

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #53 of 1,529
Quote:

Bought mine (Serial #1400) from Beach Camera for $999.00 back in April so it finally appears that very soon this limited edition headphone will only be available in the used marketplace.

That explains why I've seen one go up for over $2k.  It'll probably be one of the last W3000anv standing as they start to sell out.  

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #56 of 1,529
Very strange: these W3KANV phones I bought almost as an afterthought have made it to the top of my go-to phone list, even with 009s and TH900s around (and others).
The best adjective I can think of for them is super-listenable.
They are just very musical, natural, and have no flaws in the sonics that I could hear. They hit just the right note and balance in all the areas I can think of
(lows, mids, highs, clarity, details, image specificity and boundaries, decent soundstage, resonance, liquidity, silkyness, vocals, whatever).
They are not a wow-sound, but they didn't take any time to grow on me either, they were good from the start and got even better with a week of break-in from connecting them
to a TV cable box.

I did find them a bit, just a bit loose so I tied a piece of string at just the right length to hold the 2 top-of-head supports and that made the fit perfect,
and now they are tops in the comfort category too.

I may spring for a backup pair I like these so much.

Oct 15, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #58 of 1,529
There's rumors of an updated AD2000 (= AD2000x) doing the round, it should be released mid november in japan. After updating the AD line of headphones they have brought their whole line to current "standards". I personally doubt that we will see a W5000x after that, but probably something completely new. Even If there's a W5000x coming, where to go after that? W1000XY? Sooner or later there'll be new numbers and new models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back