The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Nov 5, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #316 of 1,431
Hey ya'll, just read this thread and there is some great info. I recently dropped some $$$ on a pair of Monster Turbine Pro Golds and have really been enjoying their sound. By the standards on this forum I guess you could say I am a bit of a basshead, though I don't want it washing out all the detail. I am looking for a pair of full-sized headphones mostly for home use although portability is nice. The only full size cans I have owned are Bose QC2s I got as a gift way back in the day. Gave them a listen after jamming to the MPTGs for a few weeks and I couldn't name one thing they did as well or better. I know they are older/Bose but I thought surely since they were full-size they would have a leg up over an IEM in some department.

Anyways I don't want to break the bank on a full-size pair of headphones. ~$100 is a number I can feel good about. How does the M50 sound signature compare with the MPTGs? I want at least that much bass if not more. I want high bass quantity/quality without destroying the details in the recording. Most of my files are 256-320kbps although I do listen to the occasional 128kpbs file. Sources are ipod classic 120gb, iphone 4, 13" MBP

Phones I am considering so far:
M50
Sony XB 700
DT 770 Pro 80 ( at $200 more than I really want to drop but they seem to be pretty popular)

I have also been considering the E5 amp and the L3 LOD cable, though I have zero experience with amps and I do want something that will sound great without an amp.

Thanks for any advice ya'll have.

Nov 5, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #317 of 1,431
Hey guys just a quick question: Do you guys wrap the cord around the headphone and store them in the carrying bag, or do you just throw the headphones in there? Thanks!

Nov 5, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #318 of 1,431

Quote:
I think I'll get these then. Does anyone know the best place to get them in the UK? I'll scout the internets, but £135 is really bad considering it should be half that, $108 in USA.
Are there any problems with importing? I'm thinking in terms of warranty, I hope a import won't void it.

they are £120 here
http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/headphones/24062/Audio+Technica+ATH-M50.htm

dont know if there is anywhere cheaper for the uk

Nov 5, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #319 of 1,431
I have the coiled version, so no wrapping needed
smily_headphones1.gif
but if you do decide to wrap them, make sure you leave enough slack so the cord is not being stressed near the entry into the cup. I would buy a velcro wrap to keep the cord under control.

Quote:
Hey guys just a quick question: Do you guys wrap the cord around the headphone and store them in the carrying bag, or do you just throw the headphones in there? Thanks!

Nov 5, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #320 of 1,431
ok, Thanks! I'm also getting the coiled version! So excited till my pay check comes in so I can buy them^^

Quote:
I have the coiled version, so no wrapping needed
smily_headphones1.gif
but if you do decide to wrap them, make sure you leave enough slack so the cord is not being stressed near the entry into the cup. I would buy a velcro wrap to keep the cord under control.

Nov 7, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #322 of 1,431
coiled sounds good to..
shorter, but can extend when needed..

i always think that coiled cable inventor is brilliant..

im fully enjoying my M50 for anime songs

Nov 7, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #323 of 1,431
one of my favorite breakthrough artists of 2009, Memory Tapes' live show drummer has all of our headphones. Here's a treat for yall

http://pitchfork.com/tv/#/episode/2626-memory-tapes

Nov 7, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #324 of 1,431
Te coiled cable is only good for about 4.5ft before it starts stretching. If you source is further than that, then I would go straight.

Quote:
I'm planning on using these when sitting in bed to watch movies, as well as with mp3 player, and at the computer.
So I going for straight cable, good idea right?

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #325 of 1,431
Nov 10, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #326 of 1,431

Quote:
Im gonna buy mine tomorrow! Would you guys say that this is a good place to buy from? I checked Audio Technica's homepage, and Audio-Topia WAS listed as an authorized dealer~
Just wondering if you guys have any experiance with them for shipping time and stuff~
Thanks~
http://cgi.ebay.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-DJ-Studio-Headphones-ATHM50-NEW-/360312333966?pt=DJ_Gear_Lighting&hash=item53e449e68e#ht_5063wt_905

That or http://www.geartree.com/p-35208-audiathm50s-audio-technica-ath-m50s-closed-back-dynamic-monitor-headphones-w11-straight-c.aspx

They have coiled and straight for same price.

Nov 10, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #327 of 1,431
Hey guys, quick question. I love my M50's but I could stand a bit more bass on some songs. Can anyone tell me how it sounds paired with the fiio E5 with the bass boost on. The bass boost on the iPod is complete crap since it cause a lot of distortion. Does the E5 give a clean bass boost?

Nov 10, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #328 of 1,431

Quote:
Hey guys, quick question. I love my M50's but I could stand a bit more bass on some songs. Can anyone tell me how it sounds paired with the fiio E5 with the bass boost on. The bass boost on the iPod is complete crap since it cause a lot of distortion. Does the E5 give a clean bass boost?

@ low gain the BB is ok on the E5, should be better than the iPod.  Honestly, the only acceptable BB I've used is on my Arrow 2G.  Never liked any other enough to use it.  The E5 might help you get a bit more SQ out of the M50 w/o BB.  It did for me.  Make sure you run the E5 for a week or more.  Mine sounded like doo-doo at times the first week or so.  In fact it distorted bad at higher gains but was more compliant over time.  

Nov 12, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #329 of 1,431

Quote:
Quote:
Im gonna buy mine tomorrow! Would you guys say that this is a good place to buy from? I checked Audio Technica's homepage, and Audio-Topia WAS listed as an authorized dealer~
Just wondering if you guys have any experiance with them for shipping time and stuff~
Thanks~
http://cgi.ebay.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-DJ-Studio-Headphones-ATHM50-NEW-/360312333966?pt=DJ_Gear_Lighting&hash=item53e449e68e#ht_5063wt_905

That or http://www.geartree.com/p-35208-audiathm50s-audio-technica-ath-m50s-closed-back-dynamic-monitor-headphones-w11-straight-c.aspx

They have coiled and straight for same price.

Just bought mine on ebay yesterday! Can't wait till they come in >_<

Nov 12, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #330 of 1,431
Got mine yesterday. Fairly happy with them. Sound isolation and bass is really good, high hats seem a bit harsh though.

I can't yet get a good gauge for  the sound stage, but I've only used them for a few hours, so still burning in,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back