The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Nov 21, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #346 of 1,431

Quote:
A very slight volume imbalance is preventing me from completely enjoying these phones... it's not terrible, but I have to turn the right side about 20% louder for it to sound balanced. If I shipped them in, would the warranty cover the volume imbalance?

Are you sure it's not your ears? Age, time, or even simple wax can affect our hearing. Other than that, if you have a working pan/balance feature and your headphones are otherwise undamaged...I don't see what's the problem.

Nov 21, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #347 of 1,431

Quote:
Quote:
A very slight volume imbalance is preventing me from completely enjoying these phones... it's not terrible, but I have to turn the right side about 20% louder for it to sound balanced. If I shipped them in, would the warranty cover the volume imbalance?

Are you sure it's not your ears? Age, time, or even simple wax can affect our hearing. Other than that, if you have a working pan/balance feature and your headphones are otherwise undamaged...I don't see what's the problem.

Or even the volume pot on the source or amp.

Nov 21, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #348 of 1,431
I've been reading about these for the past week and am just about to order them online. Do these ever go on sale though, and should I bother waiting for a Black Friday/Cyber Monday deal?  Sorry if this has been asked before. 
devil_face.gif

Nov 21, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #349 of 1,431

B and H photo, has them for $109. You can always find them on ebay. I ordered a pair from b and h and got them in 3 days.
Quote:
I've been reading about these for the past week and am just about to order them online. Do these ever go on sale though, and should I bother waiting for a Black Friday/Cyber Monday deal?  Sorry if this has been asked before. 
devil_face.gif

Nov 21, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #351 of 1,431

Quote:
Quote:

Yep. At first I thought I was tired or something when I first heard it panned to the left. The next time I put them on, I heard it panned to the right and thought that I was definitely wrong, but it turned out that I had them on backwards. Then I started switching them around and even though the difference in each cup was minuscule, when the headphones went on, there was an imbalance.

And the problem is that, while it's okay on the computer due to a pan feature, on an iPod or a home receiver with no L/R dial, there's nothing that can be done about it.

Quote:
Or even the volume pot on the source or amp.

That's what I thought at first, but not only did I not have a problem with my previous headphones (a pair of PortaPros,) but when I plugged it into a home receiver the other day the left side was notably more dynamic, so to speak..

Nov 28, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #352 of 1,431
Hey, M50 SQ is great (as you know :wink: ).
But I'm not entirely after their EQ signature. I'm sensitive to highs, and they have too much of them (I'd also like to have a bit darker mids, but that's fine tuning). I tried to EQ them on foobar (in steps):
-1 on 7kHz
-1 on 10kHz
-1 on 14kHz
-2 on 20kHz
but besides the effect I wanted, I also got degraded SQ.

What do you think I can do about? Thanks in advance!

Nov 30, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #353 of 1,431
I'm still enjoing the M50 more and more each day (even after one year).
I'm running it straight from my laptop but I'm thinking of bringing the Bravo amp to work
smile.gif

Nov 30, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #354 of 1,431

Quote:
But I'm not entirely after their EQ signature. I'm sensitive to highs, and they have too much of them (I'd also like to have a bit darker mids, but that's fine tuning). I tried to EQ them on foobar (in steps):
-1 on 7kHz
-1 on 10kHz
-1 on 14kHz
-2 on 20kHz

Have you been putting music through them for 25-50 hours?
The stridence of the highs tends to ease up with break-in (and the bass tightens). If you're beyond this time-frame, they probably won't change.

How about source files? Highly compressed? Amp? DAC? What's your source chain?

shane

Dec 6, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #355 of 1,431
I am very happy with the SQ of my ATH-M50s attached to my iPod Classic 160 Gb, desktop PC, and laptop, all with no amplifier. I have shortened the cable by 50% for portability reasons.

Dec 7, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #356 of 1,431

Quote:
Quote:
-1 on 7kHz
-1 on 10kHz
-1 on 14kHz
-2 on 20kHz

Have you been putting music through them for 25-50 hours?
The stridence of the highs tends to ease up with break-in (and the bass tightens). If you're beyond this time-frame, they probably won't change.

How about source files? Highly compressed? Amp? DAC? What's your source chain?

shane

Thanks for interest.
Yup, I bought them used and have been listening with them for, let's say, 30h.
Source files are CDs , FLACs and mp3s (BTW, no other audio equipment has made highly compressed mp3s sound as bad as M50 did :p ).
Chain is in my signature, recently Foobar -> Prodigy -> Luxman L230.
The problem lies within M50 x my ears combo I think :) I thought maybe someone would know a simple (hopefully reversable mod) to tame the highs a bit.
pzdr

Dec 7, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #357 of 1,431
OK. Got it.
Yeah, the highs have been described as 'metalic' by some, sibilant by others. I find them to be neither.
Sorry you're haveing this issue with the M50. But whatever you do, don't sell them and buy Beyerdynamic. The highs will make you insane.
rolleyes.gif

I'm not into modding, but maybe a thin layer of foam in front of the driver? Something to filter out the extreme upper end... just a thought if you are really wanting to keep them.

shane

Dec 7, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #358 of 1,431

Quote:
OK. Got it.
Yeah, the highs have been described as 'metalic' by some, sibilant by others. I find them to be neither.
Sorry you're haveing this issue with the M50. But whatever you do, don't sell them and buy Beyerdynamic. The highs will make you insane.
rolleyes.gif

I'm not into modding, but maybe a thin layer of foam in front of the driver? Something to filter out the extreme upper end... just a thought if you are really wanting to keep them.

shane

You've been reading that one guy's one sided review haven't you?
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #359 of 1,431
Dec 20, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #360 of 1,431
I'm curious about my findings this weekend and decided to post them. My M50s has about 2 weeks of normal use, then I decided to start burning them with pink noise and sine waves this weekend. Yesterday listening Gaia from a State of Trance 2010 was unbelievable, I was comparing from my also recently acquired HD600 and it didin't stand a chance on this track against the M50s.

Today is a different story, both cans were burning the same way all day while I was out from home. Now the M50s sound downgraded, the HD600 sounded better than yesterday in this track and the M50s didn't had a chance. I first tried the M50s and noticed it already wasn't as nice as yesterday and then took the HD600 to listen and compare.

I believe the M50s are by now on the dull spot when burnin is done, I'll listen this whole week just to the HD600 and give a burnin all week to the M50s, I hope the M50s gonna improve by then. I added a silence track to the playlist to let them rest from moment to moment .

Both cans tried from an iBasso D12. I'm gonna build a Crack tube amp, I'm curious how the M50 can sound on this, but it's going to be mainly for the HD600. I was about to sell yesterday the M50s but when I tried Gaia I retracted and started to did the comparison, then I said again OMG, I can use the M50s for Trance, I'm gonna keep them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back