The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Dec 20, 2010 at 6:59 AM Post #361 of 1,431
My findings are very similar. I have almost sold my HD580 a couple of times since getting the M50, then I hear a song on the HD580 that I thought was amazing on the M50 and the 580 blows it away. I have given up and and will keep both....at least until my FA-002 Woodie gets here.

Quote:
I'm curious about my findings this weekend and decided to post them. My M50s has about 2 weeks of normal use, then I decided to start burning them with pink noise and sine waves this weekend. Yesterday listening Gaia from a State of Trance 2010 was unbelievable, I was comparing from my also recently acquired HD600 and it didin't stand a chance on this track against the M50s.

Today is a different story, both cans were burning the same way all day while I was out from home. Now the M50s sound downgraded, the HD600 sounded better than yesterday in this track and the M50s didn't had a chance. I first tried the M50s and noticed it already wasn't as nice as yesterday and then took the HD600 to listen and compare.

I believe the M50s are by now on the dull spot when burnin is done, I'll listen this whole week just to the HD600 and give a burnin all week to the M50s, I hope the M50s gonna improve by then. I added a silence track to the playlist to let them rest from moment to moment .

Both cans tried from an iBasso D12. I'm gonna build a Crack tube amp, I'm curious how the M50 can sound on this, but it's going to be mainly for the HD600. I was about to sell yesterday the M50s but when I tried Gaia I retracted and started to did the comparison, then I said again OMG, I can use the M50s for Trance, I'm gonna keep them!

Dec 20, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #363 of 1,431
Dec 20, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #366 of 1,431
Are you asking for illegal file sharing? That's a no no. I am sure you can find some 320kbps files if you really try.

Quote:
Listening to FreeTempo album with these headphones was the first eargasm I experienced...I found a decent 192kbps mp3 files for the albums that sounded very good considering the kbps. I'm trying to find flac versions of it with little success. Sorry it's a bit unrelated, but does anyone have flac files for freetempo?

Dec 20, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #368 of 1,431
Dec 28, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #369 of 1,431

Hello, head-fi members,

I know what I'm about to write isn't exactly an "appreciation" of ATH-M50, but right now, I'm trying to figure out the source of the static noise I hear in my music, while using my recently bought ATH-M50, so I was hoping if the head-fi members, especially the ones with ATH-M50 as I do, can help me on this.

Recently I've started listening to some of Sarah Brightman's songs like "Phantom of Opera," and "Time to Say Goodbye" My friend got me interested in these singers, and so the first audio files I've used listening to them were the flac files my friend gave me. I was in love with the songs, but the static noises kept me from fully emerging into the songs.(in both cases, when listened with my Audio Technica ATH-M50, from my laptop and Cowon J3)

I didn't know what the issue was so I ordered the actual CD and ripped it as wav files and listened to them, and the static noise is still there. 

I would try to figure out where the problem is coming from, whether it is just recording error that I have to live with, or if the problem actually lies in my headphone. Maybe it's because I've started paying a lot more attention while I listened to music after I got ATH-M50, but I've been hearing a lot of static noises. When I casually asked, some of the head-fi members told me it might be from the recording, but now that it's so prevalent over many of my at least adequate quality audio files consisting of 320 kbps mp3 files and lossless files, I'm starting to doubt my assumptions that those static noises I heard were all from poorly mastered recordings...

The problem is I only have one headphone, ath-m50, and the other ones are from before my becoming interested in the quality audio experience and are earphones that ranged about 10 dollars that I do not find credible enough.

So if anyone of you guys own an audio file of Sarah Brightman's song "Phantom of Opera," it would be really great if you guys can check and tell me if you guys also hear the static noise near 3:45-3:55.

If there were no errors in the recordings themselves, then my guess is that my ATH-M50 is the source of my problem. Luckily, my return window with amazon is still open for another month, so I'd still be able to get a replacement. 

Thank you very much for your help. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Dec 28, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #370 of 1,431
I have the Phantom of the Opera CD (UK cast of Sara B. and [forgothisname!])) and M50. I'll try it out :)

Okay, on the original ensemble version with sara brightman and michael crawford, there is no static at all in the last half of the song (The Phantom of the Opera - as their are descending into the caves, iirc). I didn't listen to the first half of the song.. This is via an iPod old (4th gen?) 320kbps, as I am having trouble locating my CD for this (I've recently started rearranging my shelves :frowning2:).

It could be bad mastering, a bad CD mask for your batch, a coincidental bad range of DAC?.... have you tried plugging in into a CD player outright? I've found a few Eminem songs with audio static - then I found out it was a deliberate part of the song )to make it sound like a vinyl record o.0)

Same with some youtube videos with poor audio balance - I was inclined to blame the headphones, then I found out it was simply me never noticing these things on (what are clearly very high quality) laptop speakers.

Dec 28, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #371 of 1,431
where did you buy the item?
maybe fake?

Quote:

Hello, head-fi members,

I know what I'm about to write isn't exactly an "appreciation" of ATH-M50, but right now, I'm trying to figure out the source of the static noise I hear in my music, while using my recently bought ATH-M50, so I was hoping if the head-fi members, especially the ones with ATH-M50 as I do, can help me on this.

Recently I've started listening to some of Sarah Brightman's songs like "Phantom of Opera," and "Time to Say Goodbye" My friend got me interested in these singers, and so the first audio files I've used listening to them were the flac files my friend gave me. I was in love with the songs, but the static noises kept me from fully emerging into the songs.(in both cases, when listened with my Audio Technica ATH-M50, from my laptop and Cowon J3)

I didn't know what the issue was so I ordered the actual CD and ripped it as wav files and listened to them, and the static noise is still there. 

I would try to figure out where the problem is coming from, whether it is just recording error that I have to live with, or if the problem actually lies in my headphone. Maybe it's because I've started paying a lot more attention while I listened to music after I got ATH-M50, but I've been hearing a lot of static noises. When I casually asked, some of the head-fi members told me it might be from the recording, but now that it's so prevalent over many of my at least adequate quality audio files consisting of 320 kbps mp3 files and lossless files, I'm starting to doubt my assumptions that those static noises I heard were all from poorly mastered recordings...

The problem is I only have one headphone, ath-m50, and the other ones are from before my becoming interested in the quality audio experience and are earphones that ranged about 10 dollars that I do not find credible enough.

So if anyone of you guys own an audio file of Sarah Brightman's song "Phantom of Opera," it would be really great if you guys can check and tell me if you guys also hear the static noise near 3:45-3:55.

If there were no errors in the recordings themselves, then my guess is that my ATH-M50 is the source of my problem. Luckily, my return window with amazon is still open for another month, so I'd still be able to get a replacement. 

Thank you very much for your help. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #372 of 1,431

Quote:
where did you buy the item?
maybe fake?

I bought them from Amazon. It was from an Amazon certified seller. But I guess there's always the possibility since it wasn't sold directly BY amazon...
Quote:
I have the Phantom of the Opera CD (UK cast of Sara B. and [forgothisname!])) and M50. I'll try it out
smily_headphones1.gif

Okay, on the original ensemble version with sara brightman and michael crawford, there is no static at all in the last half of the song (The Phantom of the Opera - as their are descending into the caves, iirc). I didn't listen to the first half of the song.. This is via an iPod old (4th gen?) 320kbps, as I am having trouble locating my CD for this (I've recently started rearranging my shelves
frown.gif
).

It could be bad mastering, a bad CD mask for your batch, a coincidental bad range of DAC?.... have you tried plugging in into a CD player outright? I've found a few Eminem songs with audio static - then I found out it was a deliberate part of the song )to make it sound like a vinyl record o.0)

Same with some youtube videos with poor audio balance - I was inclined to blame the headphones, then I found out it was simply me never noticing these things on (what are clearly very high quality) laptop speakers.

Hi, maktom, thanks for helping me out. I've ripped them in several different formats, including mp3 256 and 320 kbps as well as flac and wav, and I'm hearing the same thing. And since the flac file I originally listened to was not from the CD I own, I'm becoming more and more convinced that my headphone is the source of the problem, although now I know that the problem might lie on my J3's DAC.

And since I'm a beginner in quality audio experience, I don't really own a CD player. I only got my cowon j3 and audio technica ath-m50. 
bigsmile_face.gif

And the original London cast who sang this particular song with Sarah Brightman was Michael Crawford =]

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #373 of 1,431
Do you have any recordings from you entire collection that don't make the static noise?  If you do then it's probably not the headphones.  

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #374 of 1,431
static with the headphones plugged into the jack while music is on pause is normal, especially noticeable with a more powerful source/amp combo

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #375 of 1,431
Have you just tried listening to the CD? Also, it is weird that it is at the same point in the song. it's not the like the headphones know what part of the track you are listening to. Their should be static during other songs. You also might want to take the pads off to make sure there is nothing touching the driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back