The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Dec 28, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #376 of 1,431

Quote:
Do you have any recordings from you entire collection that don't make the static noise?  If you do then it's probably not the headphones.  

I own Eminem's "Recovery" and the Black Eyed Peas' "The END" that I do not hear any static noise in, but they are quite different genre of music, and because their songs often have complex background music going on, I don't think I paid much attention to the voice only. 

But on my Andrea Bocelli, Sarah Brightman, and Celine Dion CDs where vocal is THE main theme, I think the static noise is a lot more prevalent. I will check out my BEP and Eminem album and see if the static noise also exist there.

Quote:
static with the headphones plugged into the jack while music is on pause is normal, especially noticeable with a more powerful source/amp combo

Mm.. well to be honest, the only audio equipment I have are my Cowon J3 and Ath-M50. I've yet to plunge into amp and DAC combo as well as headphones that need them... And I don't hear any statics when on pause. =/

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #377 of 1,431
I can tell you that just because the genre you are listening to is classical, acoustic, vocal is no guarantee of better quality mastering.  Classical is one of my favorite genres by far but also one of my smallest collections.  I just got tired of buying crap recording after crap recording.  I only buy when I have solid input or preview a disc now when it comes to classical.  This may be relevant to you or not.

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #378 of 1,431
One more thing that your post reminded me of, I had an Avril Lavinge CD I borrowed from the library, and a Cascada CD I bought off of ebay. I think the AL one was the one that included "My Happy Ending" and it was audio static and cackling (no other way of explaining it) the whole way through. I blamed it on the CD. Same thing with Cascada group's CD (Everytime we touch??). I eventually narrowed the issue down to me messing around with my codecs too much (I installed Gabest [part of MPC-HC], then Haali, then who knows what else to get oog and other stuff in). I removed all codecs and reinstalled MPC-HC and just kept it as it was. Now there is no more issue with the Cascada CD (I didn't recheckout the AL CD, yet).

So even though it's somewhat unreleated.... maybe your J3 has an EQ setting that just doesn't process well (Maybe I am speaking out of my rear-end here?)?

Dec 28, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #379 of 1,431

Quote:
I can tell you that just because the genre you are listening to is classical, acoustic, vocal is no guarantee of better quality mastering.  Classical is one of my favorite genres by far but also one of my smallest collections.  I just got tired of buying crap recording after crap recording.  I only buy when I have solid input or preview a disc now when it comes to classical.  This may be relevant to you or not.

I completely agree. If what I hear is indeed the recorded quality on the CD, that I'm very disappointed with my purchase. 

Quote:
One more thing that your post reminded me of, I had an Avril Lavinge CD I borrowed from the library, and a Cascada CD I bought off of ebay. I think the AL one was the one that included "My Happy Ending" and it was audio static and cackling (no other way of explaining it) the whole way through. I blamed it on the CD. Same thing with Cascada group's CD (Everytime we touch??). I eventually narrowed the issue down to me messing around with my codecs too much (I installed Gabest [part of MPC-HC], then Haali, then who knows what else to get oog and other stuff in). I removed all codecs and reinstalled MPC-HC and just kept it as it was. Now there is no more issue with the Cascada CD (I didn't recheckout the AL CD, yet).

So even though it's somewhat unreleated.... maybe your J3 has an EQ setting that just doesn't process well (Maybe I am speaking out of my rear-end here?)?

It might be true. If I were to tweak my EQ, where do I start? Should I work on the high freq first? I don't know whether static noise can be considered a high-frequency noise...

Dec 30, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #381 of 1,431

Quote:
Im going to paint my M50's all white to look like pro700 limited editions. If i could buy the white ones i would. I just need to find some white ear pads.

Boy, a response is sooo tempting right about now.  >.<

Dec 30, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #383 of 1,431
Question for all you M50 owners:

I'm looking for some closed cans for primarily rock and alternative. Basically, I'd like something as close to the Grado sound as I can get in cans that don't leak sound.

Obviously these aren't going to sound particularly like a Grado set, but is it even in the same ballpark? Are these forward, bright, and lively? How do they fare with heavy rock (prog ala Tool, grunge ala AIC/Nirvana, etc.) relative to other cans you've heard?

Dec 30, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #384 of 1,431
Just a little FYI on the M-50s.  I was reading on another site about differences in batches of these.  Old vs. New.  The other site suggested the newer batches of this model might be better in some ways to the older. Here has been my experience with two pair of M-50s I purchased recently. 

I bought a pair off the internet from a supposedly reputable dealer on ebay.  It is the coiled version.  I enjoyed the sound right off the bat but of course it got better with approximately 100 hours of burn in.  But something always bugged me about them.  The right side of the headphone put out less sound (to my ears) and less bass than the left side.  I compared them to several pairs of different brands of headphones I already own and I knew right away something was up.  These were not well balanced at all.  I then decided to order another pair from another dealer online, but not ebay.  This time I ordered the straight cable version and I received them today and I am in the process of burning them in but I can tell immediately these sound so much better.  Almost night and day difference between the first pair.  Needless to say I will be returning the first pair.

I am pretty sure the first pair was from an older batch and the better 2nd pair from a new batch because when I ordered the first pair the ebay company had 20 of them for sale and when I ordered the 2nd pair the other company said they were out of stock and they notified me a few days later they had gotten some in and then shipped.  I also feel the new pair have a much better soundstage and mids.  Bass impact and treble seem much better too.  Needless to say I am in love with the new pair even after only a few hours of burn-in.  They sound amazing to my ears.

Maybe there isn't a difference between the older and newer batches but my first pair is proof you can get a defective pair so buyer beware.  If it doesn't sound right it probably isn't.  I checked the boxes they came in and there are some minute cosmetic differences but nothing out of the ordinary.  The 2nd pair's box just looks somewhat better.

Sorry to have rambled on but I felt this would be helpful to future purchasers.  Thanks

Dec 31, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #385 of 1,431

Quote:
Question for all you M50 owners:

I'm looking for some closed cans for primarily rock and alternative. Basically, I'd like something as close to the Grado sound as I can get in cans that don't leak sound.

Obviously these aren't going to sound particularly like a Grado set, but is it even in the same ballpark? Are these forward, bright, and lively? How do they fare with heavy rock (prog ala Tool, grunge ala AIC/Nirvana, etc.) relative to other cans you've heard?

uhh...
as close to grado and dont leak sound..
the one and only contender is the HD25-1 II

M50 is more laidback, and recessed mid,
the HD25 is much much better with that kind of music,
i have the M50 and SR60i, and tried the HD25-1 II

get it, you wont regret it..

Dec 31, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #386 of 1,431
x2

M50 is like the antithesis of Grado.  Get the HD25 or perhaps the Shure 440 if its more aggressive than the 840.  Perhaps a Shure 440 owner could chime in.

Dec 31, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #387 of 1,431

Quote:
Just a little FYI on the M-50s.  I was reading on another site about differences in batches of these.  Old vs. New.  The other site suggested the newer batches of this model might be better in some ways to the older. Here has been my experience with two pair of M-50s I purchased recently. 

I bought a pair off the internet from a supposedly reputable dealer on ebay.  It is the coiled version.  I enjoyed the sound right off the bat but of course it got better with approximately 100 hours of burn in.  But something always bugged me about them.  The right side of the headphone put out less sound (to my ears) and less bass than the left side.  I compared them to several pairs of different brands of headphones I already own and I knew right away something was up.  These were not well balanced at all.  I then decided to order another pair from another dealer online, but not ebay.  This time I ordered the straight cable version and I received them today and I am in the process of burning them in but I can tell immediately these sound so much better.  Almost night and day difference between the first pair.  Needless to say I will be returning the first pair.

I am pretty sure the first pair was from an older batch and the better 2nd pair from a new batch because when I ordered the first pair the ebay company had 20 of them for sale and when I ordered the 2nd pair the other company said they were out of stock and they notified me a few days later they had gotten some in and then shipped.  I also feel the new pair have a much better soundstage and mids.  Bass impact and treble seem much better too.  Needless to say I am in love with the new pair even after only a few hours of burn-in.  They sound amazing to my ears.

Maybe there isn't a difference between the older and newer batches but my first pair is proof you can get a defective pair so buyer beware.  If it doesn't sound right it probably isn't.  I checked the boxes they came in and there are some minute cosmetic differences but nothing out of the ordinary.  The 2nd pair's box just looks somewhat better.

Sorry to have rambled on but I felt this would be helpful to future purchasers.  Thanks

From what I've read on here it's the other way around. The new batch seems to be different, being not as bassy, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone

Dec 31, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #388 of 1,431

Quote:

Can you tell us how the box looked different? maybe some pictures? I still have the box for mine so hopefully I can figure out if mine's the new/old batch. Also, do you think it might be the difference in the coiled and straight version, although it shouldn't make any difference in sound quality? I actually noticed my m50 (coiled version) being louder on right side. When you say a new batch, do you know a specific date that the new version was released, or...

Dec 31, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #389 of 1,431

Quote:

Quote:

From what I've read on here it's the other way around. The new batch seems to be different, being not as bassy, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone

This is where I got my information from.  http://www.headfonia.com/test-burn-in-and-production-variations/ 

Dec 31, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #390 of 1,431
In the Headphonia article he says some people couldn't tell a difference which should lead us to the conclusion that it is just production variations. My M50 coiled from January has a 4.5 ohm difference between drivers. Not sure how much difference this makes, but I would assume closer matched drivers would sound better/different, even if its just less imbalance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back