The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Nov 12, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #331 of 1,431

Quote:
Got mine yesterday. Fairly happy with them. Sound isolation and bass is really good, high hats seem a bit harsh though.

I can't yet get a good gauge for  the sound stage, but I've only used them for a few hours, so still burning in,

Soundstage is tight. Not complete headstage like IEM's, but not terribly wide and spacial. That's no issue for me and not a complaint...
As for highs... what you should find with break-in is that the highs mellow out a bit and the bass should tighten up. This usually takes 25 (or so) hours.

Congrats on owning some great cans !

Nov 18, 2010 at 6:57 AM Post #334 of 1,431
Just got mine yesterday! They sound pretty good out of the box, then they really start showing some quality even after 5 min of burn in!
Some people have said that the M50 are slightly uncomfortable, but I don't see any problem with them...they fit nice a snug, and do not hurt even though I wear glasses~

Nov 18, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #335 of 1,431
I thought I had come to the conclusion the M50 just wasn't for me. I was about to move them on. The last few days I've listened to them more than what I had the previous weeks combined. I'm not sure what's happened but it feels like a veil has lifted and I really dig them all of a sudden. These may be keepers.

Nov 18, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #336 of 1,431
A very slight volume imbalance is preventing me from completely enjoying these phones... it's not terrible, but I have to turn the right side about 20% louder for it to sound balanced. If I shipped them in, would the warranty cover the volume imbalance?

Nov 18, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #337 of 1,431

Quote:
A very slight volume imbalance is preventing me from completely enjoying these phones... it's not terrible, but I have to turn the right side about 20% louder for it to sound balanced. If I shipped them in, would the warranty cover the volume imbalance?

More then likely, shoot them an email about it first just in case.

Nov 18, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #338 of 1,431
I just pulled the trigger on a pair of these cans and I'm excited to get them!
Been reading a lot about these for the past week and I'm totally convinced these HPs are for me!
Unfortunately I paid $160 after somewhat price matching with www.tomleemusic.ca (Vancouver BC, Canada) and www.bhphotovideo.com
I shot them an email stating that B&H had them for $109.00 USD.
The CR said they don't PM with companies outside of Canada but he did manage to give me a $43 discount :)

So they were suppose to be $187 + HST (%14) Total: $213.18 
Instead I got them for Total $160 after taxes.

That's about a decent price for us Canadians no? (I mean in regards to warranty etc)

In regards to burn-in, any tips on how you guys do yours?

Nov 18, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #339 of 1,431

Quote:
Great, owner of my cans and owner of my possible next ones in one person!
smily_headphones1.gif

If you don't mind, I have some questions for you.
I love MS1 for instrumanal music. The texture and forwarness of guitars is inderdible (I didn't try High-End cans). The drums, from fast kick drum, through vibrant and energic snare to detailed crash, brrr...

But I'd like another ones, for electronic music.
The presentation on MS1 (comapred to eg. UR29, HD202, EP630 and CX300) is airy which in some cases is wanted. But for me, sometimes they're not dense enough.
The bass - the largest problem. MS1 do good when track is not heavy on bass. But for music built on the pulsating bassline they're too weak.
The stage. On Alessandros it sometimes happens. This is not obligatory, but larger stage would be nice.
The highs - on mine they can be little harsh. Smoother ones would sometimes fit better.
They don't have to be approved in terms of isolation for airports, but when friend turns on TV it's hard to listen to silent music.
For home use, connected to Prodigy 7.1hifi (they have HP amp).

Rock, classic, jazz would probably still be listend through Alessandros, so I look for something which would do better in electronica.
I was thinking about ATH-M50, Ultrasones 780 or Monster Turbines.

Thanks in advance
pzdr

It's funny, but I really love my Grados for Trance/Electronica as much as I like them for rock, jazz, live performance, etc.  I think they're awesome when I just want to chill and zone out.  I find that the bass is punchy just enough, very relaxed, subtle and not skull rattling, and the clarity surreal.  The M50s take trance to another level with regards to low end frequency.  Whereas the Grados have you feeling that you're listening to the music from a safe distance, the ATs rich and punchy bass throws it right in your face. 

Nov 19, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #340 of 1,431
These headphones are amazing :) Definitely prefer them over my HD555's.
I don't have much experience in headphones but I feel as if these have a perfect balance of bass, mids, treble..in your face for sure :) I'd buy these over and over again.

Hey are the headphones suppose to make that clicking noise when you stretch them out to put them over your head?

Nov 19, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #341 of 1,431

Quote:

Hey are the headphones suppose to make that clicking noise when you stretch them out to put them over your head?

You mean the enclosures clicking against the forks due to gravity and inertia?  Or something else?

Nov 19, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #342 of 1,431
You know when you hear about how great a movie is from everybody you know, and then you finally rent it and say "meh, it was okay"?  That was my expectation when my m50's came in the mail yesterday after all the hype from this site and others.  Having owned ATH-M30's, porta pros, and various respectable earbuds, I do consider myself not a complete newb in the area.  I am happy to report that "meh" was not my reaction, I am definitely impressed.  Cripes, these cans sound good, the bass is deep and rich and right out of the box they sounded great.  Can't wait to hear what they sound like after 20+ hours, which at the rate I'm listening to them should be in a couple days
o2smile.gif

Nov 20, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #343 of 1,431

Quote:
You know when you hear about how great a movie is from everybody you know, and then you finally rent it and say "meh, it was okay"?  That was my expectation when my m50's came in the mail yesterday after all the hype from this site and others.  Having owned ATH-M30's, porta pros, and various respectable earbuds, I do consider myself not a complete newb in the area.  I am happy to report that "meh" was not my reaction, I am definitely impressed.  Cripes, these cans sound good, the bass is deep and rich and right out of the box they sounded great.  Can't wait to hear what they sound like after 20+ hours, which at the rate I'm listening to them should be in a couple days
o2smile.gif

Kind of cool when that happens. Sux the other way around.
atsmile.gif

Yes, with some hours of break-in the M50 opens up a bit and the bass tightens. All good...

Nov 21, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #345 of 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by onslaughtx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You mean the enclosures clicking against the forks due to gravity and inertia?  Or something else?

My left driver does click when stretched from "relaxed" state (cups touching each other) to on-the-head state. My right driver sometimes does it but is usually not audible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back