The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Oct 14, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #301 of 1,431
Proud new owner here. Yes... yes they are sexy. Never thought I'd say that about something predominantly made of plastic, but that coupled with the solid build was what initially jumped out at me.

Early impressions are good (hello deep bass!). Burning them in at the moment through my Audio-GD FUN (Earth) and I must say that all the criticism of recessed mids are exaggerated. Once the low end is refined after the requisite burn in period, I expect  to find a more balanced presentation than what I'm used to through my beloved MS-1i. Clarity is also quite good, with highs that are apparent but also without harshness.

Very happy with this decision. I purchased the M50 to accommodate for times when I crave a deeper bass than what the MS-1i could provide. Although that deeper bass was apparent straight away, I'm hoping burn in will refine it a bit more and provide a mid bass punch that's comparable to the MS-1i. Even if this doesn't eventuate I'm still satisfied that the M50 is a great compliment to the MS-1i. With my Audio-GD FUN and associated Earth and Moon modules, RA-1 clone, and Fiio E7 for portable use, I'm pretty content that I'm at the end of my low-fi/mid-fi quest. I feel my gear has the versatility to cover all bases... for now.

Oct 14, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #303 of 1,431
Super good for its price, and was my first Full-Size, and still have it for 3 years

Good Bass
No AMPs needed, unless u want to
Less than a $110 anywhere!
Closed Headphones
Neutral, with a Bass Boost?
Pretty Tight

The only thing is, the soundstage isnt as wide as other phones,
but it still the best in the class by far

If you are new to the audiophile world or just a casual listener, this is a great choice
Was my first headphones, and still my favorite closed
Crunchbase: eXceptiona is a company (Consulting) based out of Marietta, GA, founded in 2007. »Crunchbase: eXceptiona is a company (Consulting) based out of Marietta, GA, founded in 2007. »

Oct 15, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #305 of 1,431
I went with coiled and I must say it was a great call on my part. The long cable on my MS-1i is a hazard when listening through my desktop setup and ridiculous for portable use. The coiled cable on the M50 is the perfect length for me. And although I've not heard the straight cabled version, I'M SURE THE COILED CABLE SOUNDS BETTER! LOL!

Oct 16, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #306 of 1,431

I use this equalizer setting for my M50. Cymbals and "sssss" sound piercing to my ears without this correction. Taming that freq response peak at ~10K really helps me. I don't know the reason but I haven't seen anyone complain about this problem with the M50. Can someone who has a sample from the new batch of M50 confirm that the new cans have a similar sound signature to the older productions? Does anyone who has recently bought a M50 (comes in a gray box) share similar thoughts?

Oct 16, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #307 of 1,431

Quote:

I use this equalizer setting for my M50. Cymbals and "sssss" sound piercing to my ears without this correction. Taming that freq response peak at ~10K really helps me. I don't know the reason but I haven't seen anyone complain about this problem with the M50. Can someone who has a sample from the new batch of M50 confirm that the new cans have a similar sound signature to the older productions? Does anyone who has recently bought a M50 (comes in a gray box) share similar thoughts?

Remember, even though M50 owners might have the same phones (hopefully), they don't all have the same sources and files.  Goes a long way to how you interpret you phones.  Now that it occurs to me, might be a reason I don't hear the mids as recessed as other M50 listeners.

Oct 16, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #308 of 1,431
Quote:
Remember, even though M50 owners might have the same phones (hopefully), they don't all have the same sources and files.  Goes a long way to how you interpret you phones.  Now that it occurs to me, might be a reason I don't hear the mids as recessed as other M50 listeners.

Yes. I should have quoted that
frown.gif

I am using 320kbps mp3 files -> foobar (WASAPI) -> Musiland Monitor 02 US -> Little Dot I+ (Mullard 8083/LT1364) -> M50
The same combination sounds great with my D2000 without any equalizer tweaks.

Can some with a similar setup share their opinions? Or even generally speaking, has anyone noticed a difference between the older and the newer generation M50 s with their own setups?

Oct 16, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #309 of 1,431
I have no issues with harshness in the highs with my new M50. It's only clocked about 24 hours of burn in. I actually find drums tracks to have a solid presence with great kick, snappy snare and good splash. This is through my Audio-GD Fun (Earth) amp/dac from macbook via usb.That presence is noticeably subdued when going straight from my ipod touch. There is less impact at comfortable listening levels, with cymbals that are more prominent but still far from harsh.

Oct 22, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #310 of 1,431
just got the M50 3 days ago..
and i think the mids are a bit recessed and it dont have the 10kHz peak at the top..

everything sounded very flat and natural for me, and teh bass is awesome..

currently burning in

Nov 4, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #311 of 1,431
I have a few questions about these, sorry if it's already been answered in the thread but I don't want to search through 21 pages.

How is the sound stage on these 'phones? Are they good for gaming and movies?
And are they easy to drive? Would they work well on an mp3 player and PC without an amp or fancy sound card?

Nov 4, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #312 of 1,431
You've got to love the new guys. I often find myself reading 80+ pages in one topic to learn about audio. That's the most interesting thing, no? ....
But to answer your question: It's fairly good but of course it could be better. And yes, no problem. (for more info see page 1 to 21
biggrin.gif
)

Nov 4, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #313 of 1,431
Soundstage: Close, but not IEM 'headstage' close. Others provide wider, but I don't find this an issue. It's intimate.
Gaming and movies: Good to very good. Great bass impact and imaging.
Driving: Yes, easy to drive with my iPod Classic and or Nano, as well as my wife's Sansa Clip.

Cheers!

Nov 4, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #314 of 1,431
Just got my M50s. First thoughts: bass isn't even CLOSE to overwhelming. It's a decent amount, if anything, it's lacking. The mids may be a little recessed but if so I haven't noticed; everything is crystal clear and the vocals are pronounced well. The thing I noticed is that these things are incredibly accurate. The bass is precise with next to zero muddiness, the mids come out smooth and fluently, and the highs are fantastic with no distortion (something I couldn't say about my Portapros.) Soundstage is also pretty good for a closed phone and isolation is very good. So far, I'm very happy with these. I've burned them in for about 10 hours so far and will listen to them again later tonight and post an update.

Nov 5, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #315 of 1,431
I think I'll get these then. Does anyone know the best place to get them in the UK? I'll scout the internets, but £135 is really bad considering it should be half that, $108 in USA.
Are there any problems with importing? I'm thinking in terms of warranty, I hope a import won't void it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back