The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
May 24, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #7,321 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This could be a function of the amp revealing limitations in your source material (is it mp3? what bit rate) and/or the DAC of the iPod. I notice this when I listen to some lower bit rate material.

Most of the music on my iPod is encoded as 320 AAC.

I am definitly hearing more hiss and digital "artifacts" from the ipod than I was with my RA1 clone so maybe it is a case of the Compass being that much more revealing of the ipods limitations... I already suspected this, I just didn't expect to hear it in the form of a more fatiguing sound.

May 24, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #7,322 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ganderson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After a couple days use I am finding the top end to be a little brittle, fatiguing, and harsh on my Denons with my iPod touch as source in super mode.

I switched from neutral to soft2 mode and I'm still hearing it.

Will this smooth out with burn in?

I have a lot of difficulty listening to an iPod because of what you are describing here.

May 24, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #7,323 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lovely.. looks really great !!..
smily_headphones1.gif
Let us know how it goes, I mean does it get it get too warm.. think I'll try it myself, maybe with a slightly gray acrylic.. Thanks !

Thanks Sandchak!

Self combustability is about 800F and constant operating temp is about 200F. That's hot enough to cause pain! I don't think it will ever be an issue but will keep an eye on it and report back if I notice any warping.

I saw red and white too. Thought those colors might go well with it.

May 24, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #7,324 of 7,725
I've tried to do as much reading as I can to try to avoid having to ask this question, but are there any reviews of the compass' synergy with Grado RS-1's?

I know that one of the reviews used 325i's, which helped to give some indication that Grado's are alright with the compass, but there are proportionately very few reviews of users that have Grado's as their primary headphones. Most are running the compass with Denons, AKG or Senns....

I worry a bit about running a neutral SS amp with the RS-1's, which are said to do better with a tube amp....

Also, and this question I'm sure has been answered elsewhere, but does Kingwa accept money orders or another form of payment other than paypal? I know...email him. I am hoping to get feedback about the compass with Grado's first, though-

May 24, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #7,325 of 7,725
I've tried to do as much reading as I can to try to avoid having to ask this question, but are there any reviews of the compass' synergy with Grado RS-1's?

I know that one of the reviews used 325i's, which helped to give some indication that Grado's are alright with the compass, but there are proportionately very few reviews of users that have Grado's as their primary headphones. Most are running the compass with Denons, AKG or Senns....

I worry a bit about running a neutral SS amp with the RS-1's, which are said to do better with a tube amp....

A related question is what HDAM is best suited for the RS-1, as I'd like to avoid buying all three, if possible. I would've though it wise to avoid the Sun, being that it could be too bright with the grado treble, but one of the very few reviews of a Grado user suggested they liked the Sun best...?

Also, and this question I'm sure has been answered elsewhere, but does Kingwa accept money orders or another form of payment other than paypal? I know...email him. I am hoping to get feedback about the compass with Grado's first, though-

May 24, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #7,326 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which shipping method is better? I am debating the Compass, and will probably buy before the price increase. However, the shipping difference is $5, so I do not care which I select. Does one have a reputation (excluding baggers, since that seems to be a one shot deal from what I read) for being better?

Thanks,
Nkk

Paid 51$ for shipping it to greece by EMS ( west europe according to site ) got posted from sanghai on 14th and got released through customs on last thursday, that's 7 days exactly, i'll hopefully receive it tommorow
biggrin.gif

May 24, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #7,328 of 7,725
Mine is now on the way via DHL!!!! I am so excited I am thinking about ordering a plexi top for it but I think I will wait for it to get here first so I can see if there is anything else I want to do to it.

May 25, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #7,329 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkhalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Sandchak!

Self combustability is about 800F and constant operating temp is about 200F. That's hot enough to cause pain! I don't think it will ever be an issue but will keep an eye on it and report back if I notice any warping.

I saw red and white too. Thought those colors might go well with it.

I think this is called trend setting
biggrin.gif
I'm thinking of trying this as well, thats such a cool look!

May 25, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #7,330 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroibis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine is now on the way via DHL!!!! I am so excited I am thinking about ordering a plexi top for it but I think I will wait for it to get here first so I can see if there is anything else I want to do to it.

Nice, just found out mine is on the way as well
biggrin.gif

now just waiting for the denon d7000 to come back in stock at jr

May 25, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #7,333 of 7,725
For a while I thought that either Compass or my headphones would have broken.

When I listened to the music during the last days, I suddenly got a feeling that the sound had become very dull and flat, even fatiguing again. Thought that something was broken or loose. Well, I checked the Earth-HDAM and unexpectedly it wasn't fully connected (I tried a bit earlier if the SUN works). Sound became a bit better after checking the connection again, but wasn't really significantly better than it used to be.

Then tried if the jumper-settings would actually change the sound, as I had almost always used soft-2 during the burn-in; only tried about a week ago how the neutral-setting would sound and didn't find any good difference.

For my _big_ surprise, now the neutral sounded simply astonishing - the dull, flat and fatiguing effect was once again absent. Actually, the sound is lot better than before the whole "dull-phase" even started. Certainly different results when comparing to my earlier experiment with the neutral-setting. The bass-presence and impact, the sweet but clear and tidy highs came back stronger than ever, it is very musical again - actually, is this even the same device?!?

Well, my burn-in is still unfinished (in total only about 310 - 330 hours with games, TV-series, music & noise minus the long rest-time in the noise-file), so I don't know how the sound will still change. Currently I wouldn't want to use the soft-2 setting again - for music at least. Guess I really have to leave the compass & PC on to play noise during the night again to get those damn hours.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #7,334 of 7,725
A Plea for help.
I've been burning in my compass for a while now and it was fine so far. But I left it on to burn it in over dinner and by the time I came back, the sound has gone. I can't get it to play the music when I'm playing files through foobar. It was still working before dinner when I was still listening to music but now I don't know what went wrong
frown.gif
. Can anyone identify what might be the problem? I dunno if its because I left it on too long but it doesn't look like its burnt or anything like that.

Edit: I think I can still hear some hissing when I turn the volume dial to max with headphones connected and nothing is playing
Edit2: It actually happened after dinner. I was listening to music and then went off somewhere else to work on my assignemnt and left a pink noise loop on via burn-in wave generator for about 2 hours while i was gone.

May 25, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #7,335 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crikey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A Plea for help.
I've been burning in my compass for a while now and it was fine so far. But I left it on to burn it in over dinner and by the time I came back, the sound has gone. I can't get it to play the music when I'm playing files through foobar. It was still working before dinner when I was still listening to music but now I don't know what went wrong
frown.gif
. Can anyone identify what might be the problem? I dunno if its because I left it on too long but it doesn't look like its burnt or anything like that.

Edit: I think I can still hear some hissing when I turn the volume dial to max with headphones connected and nothing is playing

Have you tested the other inputs? Mabe it's just the PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back