The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
May 21, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #7,246 of 7,725
Doorknob move over to Media Monkey and use the steinberg ASIO driver (octachan or something like that). The bass and fullness returns...Foobar and ASIO are goofed up for some reason.

Try it you'll notice an improvement right away. mbd found this out sometime back in this thread.

Peete.

PS The burn in debate...sigh....

May 21, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #7,247 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ganderson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you speculate as to why Kingwa's stuff requires such a long time to stabilize? I find it odd that there is such a dramatic and repeatable roller coaster like variation in sound for 600 hours.

I am not saying I don't believe it, I just don't understand how it is possible.

I can't explain it fully but I do acknowledge it. Might have to do with all the transistors used, the sheer part count and the level of overbuild. The NoVer caps take a good while to relax (like Black Gates).

Peete.

May 21, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #7,248 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by MysteryMachine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will my earth get some bass with burn-in?

Burned in moon for about 10 hrs on bright and love the nice smooth bass on it so far. I leave on vacation for 2 weeks so I put in the earth to burn it in(since I had the compass open to show to my coworkers - all were impressed with the build quality). The Moon had decent (not a lot though) of nice smooth bass. The new earth has almost no bass. I do like the crispness it brings to vocals but so far the bass is almost non-existant with earth. Peete (or others) will the bass get better on the earth with burn-in?

Setup:

X-Fi Titanium using ASIO, bit-matched, to foobar, no DSPs. Well worn HD580s (nearly every day for something like 8 yrs).

Once the Earth is done maturing it actually has more usable bass than the the Moon but it will not have the mid bass hump the Moon module has. The Earth has more bass extension than the Moon.

Try Media Monkey/ASIO rather than Foobar...unless your running an older rev of Foobar your not getting as good a SQ as you should be getting. See my post to doorknob earlier this evening and look for mbd's posts on this subject in this thread. The difference is not subtle at all. I haven't gone back to Foobar even though I like the GUI on foobar much better than MM.

May 21, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #7,249 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can actually understand Ricki's Heroin encrusted Lyrics!

Soon, people will be claiming to comprehend the lyrics to Bob Dylan's "All Along The Watchtower"
icon10.gif

May 21, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #7,250 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Soon, people will be claiming to comprehend the lyrics to Bob Dylan's "All Along The Watchtower"
icon10.gif

I do believe that has already happened although which Dylan song it was escapes my leaky memory for the moment
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

May 21, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #7,251 of 7,725
MM sounds better than any foobar I tried, but I personally still use the older foobar and the recommended build for the lean sound because my setup has too much bass. If you like music that goes hippity hoppity (I don't know, bill cosby made that phrase up) directsound offers something towards that direction that no asio possibly can
tongue.gif

May 21, 2009 at 12:46 PM Post #7,252 of 7,725
Sorry for OT: Tested quickly Compass with otachan's ASIO-plugin with MediaMonkey and indeed, it sounded a bit better for my ears too. BUT, unless I can't get gapless playback, I'm going to go back to using foobar.

Am I just a noob or is there really no way to to get proper gapless playback with MediaMonkey when using ASIO(4ALL) output? Gapless-mode in ASIO output -settings didn't do anything. Googled a bit and I couldn't find an answer...

May 21, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #7,253 of 7,725
I just received my compass but there seems to be something wrong. The right-side volume is at max when the volume knob is all the way down, turning up the volume does nothing to the right-side but increases the left as normal. What could be wrong?

BTW almost blew my eardrum out...I'm really disappointed after waiting all this time and to have this as a problem!!

Edit: I fixed it! the left front (if looking straight on the front of the unit) leg of the alps potentiometer was not soldered!! there was solder there but the leg not connected.

May 21, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #7,254 of 7,725
I'm using v0.67, but I go to tools>options>output plug-ins>click Configure highlighting ASIO output>check "gapless mode".

If you can, I'd also follow mbd2884's suggestion to use usb-asio. I can't get it to work though Vista sucks -_-.

edot: forget this post it doesn't make it gapless
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #7,255 of 7,725
i have a noticeable and verry annoying low hum with compass in preamp mode. Has anyone else experienced that?

May 21, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #7,256 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm no expert, but we know for certain that the electrical properties of equipment changes with temperature. I imagine that the electrical properties of the components change with use as a result. I can say exactly the same thing happens if I leave my compass on with no music playing through it. The most distinct was the treble disappearing for a while between 250 and 300 hours. I was burning in all 3 HDAMs using my Zero as well, and all 3 had lost treble.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't explain it fully but I do acknowledge it. Might have to do with all the transistors used, the sheer part count and the level of overbuild. The NoVer caps take a good while to relax (like Black Gates).

Peete.

Thanks for the replies guys. Not trying to start a debate as I'm sure there is some science behind it... too much consensus to be a group psychoacoustic phenomenon. I'm interested to see if I hear what you guys are describing.

May 21, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #7,257 of 7,725
Oh... and my Compass arrived yesterday and I picked it up at the post office this morning! I ordered on 5/5 and here is the data for those interested in how fast EMS is:

Shipment Activity Location Date & Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Delivered ROUND ROCK TX 78664 05/21/09 8:02am

Notice Left ROUND ROCK TX 78664 05/20/09 12:55pm

Arrival at Unit ROUND ROCK TX 78664 05/20/09 7:50am

Processed through Sort Facility AUSTIN TX 78710 05/19/09
6:22am
Processed through Sort

Inbound Into Customs UNITED STATES 05/18/09 10:46am

Inbound International Arrival ISC SAN FRANCISCO (USPS) 05/18/09
10:45am
Inbound International

Inbound Out of Customs UNITED STATES 05/18/09 10:44am

Foreign International Dispatch CHINA PEOPLES REP 05/14/09
9:26pm
Foreign International

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment CHINA PEOPLES REP
05/14/09 7:05pm
Origin Post is

Foreign Acceptance 05/14/09 4:41pm

Everything looks to be in great shape but I won't be able to plug it in until tonight.

May 21, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #7,259 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by samspotting /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you burn in a dac? do you need it to be plugged into a source? Does the source have to be pumping music?

You need to load the system with a headphone or speakers and be pumping either music or Pink noise! I created a special WAV file for 9 min of pink noise and 1 min rest then repeat 6 times for a one hour file. Then Media monkey will keep track of how many times this plays so I know my total burn in except time spent listening.

There was a little tutorial on this thread, post # 4036 by TinselJim, I used which was extremely helpful to create the file. Thanks Jim!

The pause is to give the drivers time to cool, there have been some people who have burnt out headphones doing there burn in.

Hope this helps.

Mark

May 21, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #7,260 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ganderson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh... and my Compass arrived yesterday and I picked it up at the post office this morning! I ordered on 5/5 and here is the data for those interested in how fast EMS is:

Shipment Activity Location Date & Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Delivered ROUND ROCK TX 78664 05/21/09 8:02am

Notice Left ROUND ROCK TX 78664 05/20/09 12:55pm

Arrival at Unit ROUND ROCK TX 78664 05/20/09 7:50am

Processed through Sort Facility AUSTIN TX 78710 05/19/09
6:22am
Processed through Sort

Inbound Into Customs UNITED STATES 05/18/09 10:46am

Inbound International Arrival ISC SAN FRANCISCO (USPS) 05/18/09
10:45am
Inbound International

Inbound Out of Customs UNITED STATES 05/18/09 10:44am

Foreign International Dispatch CHINA PEOPLES REP 05/14/09
9:26pm
Foreign International

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment CHINA PEOPLES REP
05/14/09 7:05pm
Origin Post is

Foreign Acceptance 05/14/09 4:41pm

Everything looks to be in great shape but I won't be able to plug it in until tonight.

Surprisingly fast shipping IMO for international (maybe it's the norm, but I rarely order from overseas), when did you place the order?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back