The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
May 20, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #7,216 of 7,725
I have been listening to the Compass for quite sometime now and anyone who hasn't listened to the SUN HDAM in my opinion is missing something. Because according to me, there is such a fundamental difference in the sound between the SUN and EARTH / MOON that the experience of listening with the SUN HDAM cannot be experienced with the other two. I am talking about a fundamental difference in the way the sound is presented and felt. While the MOON & EARTH HDAM's allow you to listen to the music and appreciate the Compass for sounding so clear and good the SUN just pulls you in. It is only with the SUN HDAM I find that I want to keep on listening and not stop. With the other two the music is wonderful too but it does not have the effect of pulling you in completely as the SUN does. This at least is what I feel when listening with the Denon D5000. The difference between the SUN and the other two is that the SUN is like being out on the field playing, no time to analyze you are all in the game, while the EARTH is like the front row seats, which is great, you can observe everything as a neutral party and enjoy, and the MOON is like sitting further up, where you get the feel for the game and the crowd. That's the best way I can explain this. So the MOON and EARTH while different have a similar sound but the SUN is totally different.

May 20, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #7,217 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_guy182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like it agressive and in your face, Compass is the way to go!
beerchug.gif

Now that may be true for HD650 and you having switched from the tubes, but IMHO, overall, it is the opposite. I think that Compass (Earth, neutral), while retaining the clarity and punch, is still on the mellower side of neutral sound.

May 20, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #7,218 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by denon5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been listening to the Compass for quite sometime now and anyone who hasn't listened to the SUN HDAM in my opinion is missing something. Because according to me, there is such a fundamental difference in the sound between the SUN and EARTH / MOON that the experience of listening with the SUN HDAM cannot be experienced with the other two. I am talking about a fundamental difference in the way the sound is presented and felt. While the MOON & EARTH HDAM's allow you to listen to the music and appreciate the Compass for sounding so clear and good the SUN just pulls you in. It is only with the SUN HDAM I find that I want to keep on listening and not stop. With the other two the music is wonderful too but it does not have the effect of pulling you in completely as the SUN does. This at least is what I feel when listening with the Denon D5000. The difference between the SUN and the other two is that the SUN is like being out on the field playing, no time to analyze you are all in the game, while the EARTH is like the front row seats, which is great, you can observe everything as a neutral party and enjoy, and the MOON is like sitting further up, where you get the feel for the game and the crowd. That's the best way I can explain this. So the MOON and EARTH while different have a similar sound but the SUN is totally different.

Ugh, I knew I should have bought the SUN HDAM too.

But with the crappy USD <> CAD exchange rate, I couldn't
frown.gif

May 20, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #7,220 of 7,725
Quote:

This is good to hear, I have a compass with all 3 HDAMs and a D7000 ordered. I'm curious did you burn in the Sun at all? What about the D5000 or compass?

May 20, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #7,221 of 7,725
The SUN has a track record of being the most impressive module at first but once everything finally burns in the other modules are normally settled on (one or the other). Very few actually stay with the SUN.....it would help if denon5000 laid out source info, music genre and file type and quality and hours on both the SUN module and the Compass...that way if his gear is fully burned in we know he's making a statement about mature electronics and this stance will not change radically in 2 weeks time. I have no wish to discourage sales of modules but I do wish to save members some money if they find the SUN isn't much to to their liking and will resent post's like denon5000's because their experience will not match his......

Please qualify your opinions please with pertinent info, hours on module and Compass...source, cabling etc...that helps greatly with making fully informed choices.

Peete.

May 20, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #7,222 of 7,725
Quote:

Denon5000,
Thanks for the motivation, I haven't even started to burn in my Sun yet, 500 hrs on Earth and 400 hrs on the Moon so far, so its time. I have DIY Mark L modded D2000's so I hope I have a similar experience.

I knew it wa the right decision to buy all three Hdams!

Mark

May 20, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #7,223 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7mark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... I have DIY Mark L modded D2000's so I hope I have a similar experience....

Mark,

I'm getting ready to work on my Denon's, which of the MarkL mods did you do?

May 20, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #7,224 of 7,725
Quote:

I just sent an email off to Cherry and Kingwa asking to buy a Sun HDAM. Curse you!
beerchug.gif

May 20, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #7,225 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just sent an email off to Cherry and Kingwa asking to buy a Sun HDAM. Curse you!
beerchug.gif

Hey I've been trying to tell you all since the Zero days... no one listens. Oh well :p

May 20, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #7,226 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by zupa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is good to hear, I have a compass with all 3 HDAMs and a D7000 ordered. I'm curious did you burn in the Sun at all? What about the D5000 or compass?

I got the D5000 a year ago so that is sufficiently burned in. Regarding the Compass I must have about 200 hrs on it and with the initial burn in that Kingwa must have done it is definitely not out of the box sound though it could do with more burn-in. As I mentioned at first I liked the Moon HDAM and listened with that on Soft2 while burning in the Compass. Much later I started listening and doing comparisons with the other HDAM's more out of curiosity as I did not expect my initial choice of Moon to change. But when I gave a listen to the SUN it changed the music experience so that is what I have right now in my Compass. As I said it is a completely different sound at least through the Denon's. I have a Koss Pro4AAAT (Open) headphone that I will try the HDAM's with to see if the same fundamental difference shows up. So the SUN might have only about 40 hrs on it though I cannot imagine that its sound would change so much as to be experienced in the same way as with the EARTH and MOON HDAM's.

May 20, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #7,227 of 7,725
Quote:

I got the D5000 a year ago so that is sufficiently burned in. Regarding the Compass I must have about 200 hrs on it and with the initial burn in that Kingwa must have done it is definitely not out of the box sound though it could do with more burn-in. As I mentioned at first I liked the Moon HDAM and listened with that on Soft2 while burning in the Compass. Much later I started listening and doing comparisons with the other HDAM's more out of curiosity as I did not expect my initial choice of Moon to change. But when I gave a listen to the SUN it changed the music experience so that is what I have right now in my Compass. As I said it is a completely different sound at least through the Denon's. I have a Koss Pro4AAAT (Open) headphone that I will try the HDAM's with to see if the same fundamental difference shows up. So the SUN might have only about 40 hrs on it though I cannot imagine that its sound would change so much as to be experienced in the same way as with the EARTH and MOON HDAM's.

Thank for you adding that critical info......you are too early in the process to make a definitive call. The Compass is 1/2 the way through burn in, your sun module is 1/7 th the way through and the others are likely at 1/4 of the way or less.

Trust me when I say this...things will change all over the place until you have 350 on each module and 600 on the Compass...your perceptions of SQ and what you like now will likely shift dramatically between now and when you are actually done with burn in....

I'm sorry I'm not trying to be critical just helpful....these proclamations you profess have been heralded many a time before and when the time that needs to be put in came due (most of) the perceptions if members who liked the SUN the best (at first) did a 180 degree turn...

Keep putting time on the modules and the Compass...you have a ways to go yet and the modules and the Compass will improve further in the meantime.

You can listen while it happens ...your Sun module has about 24 hours to go before the bass just disappears for 50 hours or so...only to reappear at 125 hours...then the mids will recede and the highs will sound harsh for another 50 or so hours...I can go on but frankly I'm tired of writing it all out again...
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway everything is good and on schedule just keep at it and stick with one combination for a while so you can take note of the changes that WILL occur.

Peete.

May 20, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #7,228 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denaturat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that may be true for HD650 and you having switched from the tubes, but IMHO, overall, it is the opposite. I think that Compass (Earth, neutral), while retaining the clarity and punch, is still on the mellower side of neutral sound.

I fully agree and personally I use Earth + Bright for my HD650.

May 20, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #7,229 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey I've been trying to tell you all since the Zero days... no one listens. Oh well :p

No offense Scottie ....I just wanted to clear up what we've seen many go through in the past (with the Zero) and then be somewhat perturbed at having spent money on a module they won't use or don't like.

Like I said earlier I don't want to discourage sales of anything...just inform people of the circumstances and not to jump to conclusions with these modules or Audio-gd gear. Kingwa's stuff takes a long time to fully break in...that is the case for everything I've so far owned from Audio-gd...(that is an ever growing list of gear...what can I say I'm impressed with Kingwa's gear).

Peete.

May 20, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #7,230 of 7,725
I'm listening to Ricki Lee Jones - "Ricki Lee Jones" from 1979. An old piece that maybe a lot of folks have never heard before, so thought I would mention it. I probably last heard it around 1985. Pretty well recorded and a very "interesting" album in an audiophile kind of way.

Sounds very nice on the Compass. I can actually understand Ricki's Heroin encrusted Lyrics!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back