The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
May 20, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #7,201 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by obentou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh hey thanks for the replies guys, that's a relief.

I had it shipped via. EMS, didn't want to risk the DHL route! It'll probably take longer
frown.gif

I was part of the same shipment as the baggers, but got lucky in shipping EMS, anyway, it took so long that by the time I'd recieved it the next shipment had already started and the DHL problems had been solved. It seems to take some time, but it does get there in the end!

May 20, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #7,202 of 7,725
I pulled the trigger and ordered a compass about a week ago. It seems that their site (audio-gd.com) is down now; should I be concerned? I'm new to the forum and, indeed, to good sound--This has been my first significant purchase, so I'm probably just overanxious...

May 20, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #7,203 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by tehdoom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I pulled the trigger and ordered a compass about a week ago. It seems that their site (audio-gd.com) is down now; should I be concerned? I'm new to the forum and, indeed, to good sound--This has been my first significant purchase, so I'm probably just overanxious...

Nah, there site goes down alot - I was worried at first too. Have no worries. Just read the testimonies and the story behind the Compass and it will make you feel better
smily_headphones1.gif

May 20, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #7,204 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by tehdoom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My first purchase too, but the communication has been excellent so I wouldn't worry.

May 20, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #7,207 of 7,725
So I'm having a hard time figuring this out. I have the DT990 (250 ohm) - a headphone that is known to be a very bright phone with a problem with sibilance, and yet my favourite setting on the Sun HDAM is the Bright setting, and I really enjoy Earth on Bright as well! Why and how is this the case??? It becomes more confusing for of because I remember other people reviewing the Compass with the HD650 for example, and saying that the Bright setting is too bright and sibilant! I didn't think that I was overly partial to bright sounding equipment, although I didn't hate it, and sibilance was a big problem with some songs when running straight from my (incredibly cheap onboard) sound card, and I can sometimes hear it with the Compass, but for the most part it sounds fine! WHATS GOING ON?!?

May 20, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #7,208 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I'm having a hard time figuring this out. I have the DT990 (250 ohm) - a headphone that is known to be a very bright phone with a problem with sibilance, and yet my favourite setting on the Sun HDAM is the Bright setting, and I really enjoy Earth on Bright as well! Why and how is this the case??? It becomes more confusing for of because I remember other people reviewing the Compass with the HD650 for example, and saying that the Bright setting is too bright and sibilant! I didn't think that I was overly partial to bright sounding equipment, although I didn't hate it, and sibilance was a big problem with some songs when running straight from my (incredibly cheap onboard) sound card, and I can sometimes hear it with the Compass, but for the most part it sounds fine! WHATS GOING ON?!?

Synergy?
smily_headphones1.gif
If it sounds fine, it is fine. Comparing two different cans, reflecting reviewers' personal preferences and tastes, well.. All that matters, is what You hear
smily_headphones1.gif

May 20, 2009 at 9:30 AM Post #7,211 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also, how much time do you have on it? I felt that mine sounded quite dark when I first got it, but then opened up and got brighter after about 100 hrs or so. Now even the Moon can sound bright.

May 20, 2009 at 9:55 AM Post #7,212 of 7,725
hi, has anybody experienced crackling when connected to the audioengine a5. I get that sometimes with my speakers and once i switch the compass off and switch it back on it goes away. Also i do get that hum with speakers as well. I know there was something about grounding or something else in this thread but i cant seem to find it. Appreciate any help guys, thanks.

May 20, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #7,213 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by qib /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi, has anybody experienced crackling when connected to the audioengine a5. I get that sometimes with my speakers and once i switch the compass off and switch it back on it goes away. Also i do get that hum with speakers as well. I know there was something about grounding or something else in this thread but i cant seem to find it. Appreciate any help guys, thanks.

Dunno, if this is the case for humming: http://www.audio-gd.com/enweb/DAC-Compass.htm and "Why Compass has some noise while using "Super" mode when it is not being fed with signal to HP amp?" ?

May 20, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #7,214 of 7,725
After waiting a lil over a month after purchasing my compass, I'm finally listening to it.
It is amazing with my HD 650. I am never going back to tube amps and it is a major upgrade compared to the ZERO. The sound is very upfront, very dynamic, detailed and with noticeable bass. I love it! It fills in the gaps that my tube amp previously had.
It is great for electronic music and the genres that ofer sharp and dynamic sounds. My LD MK IV SE mellowed too much my Wu-tang albums and my Benny Benassi stuff.
Thank you very much Kingwa!
popcorn.gif

May 20, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #7,215 of 7,725
Update guys:

I've just got an eargasm while listening to Armin van Buuren Universal Religion.
ksc75smile.gif

This thing is magical. i haven't tried the Moon-OPA but i would love it even more if the soudstage was wider. This is no headphone for grand-pa music. If you like it agressive and in your face, Compass is the way to go!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back