The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
May 15, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #7,021 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by wdoerr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude:

He, accurately, calls himself a prick. Did you miss the jollies the pricks got out of ruining other peoples computers with ASIO.

So let me get this straight,...pete~ reported pete.....and not Peete, ASIO is a conspiracy perpetrated by the greater membership at large and I'm the idiot ?

Peete.

May 15, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #7,022 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by wdoerr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude:

He, accurately, calls himself a prick. Did you miss the jollies the pricks got out of ruining other peoples computers with ASIO.

So, can you please "RE-pete" and clarify which "pete" you are dissing? I prefer to think your are referring to "pete~" and not "Peete".

As Peete has always been an enormous help and asset to everyone on this site!

Pete~ (andrea?) has yet to prove himself worthy and useful.

May 15, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #7,023 of 7,725
Haha just because YOU can't figure out how to properly use ASIO doesn't mean anyone is trying to ruin your computer. This thread gets more ridiculous every day.

May 15, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #7,024 of 7,725
Can anyone tell me how good is the amp part of the Compass, especially compare to those standalone amps in the $200-$400 range, e.g Darkvoice 332se or Head-direct EF1?

I'm currently build a entry pc-fi system. There are so many choices: sound card digital output-->standalone dac-->standalone amp; a good usb sound card such as EMU 0404 USB-->standalone amp; a one for all solution such as the Compass.

If the amp part of the Compass is comparable to those in the $200-$400 range, I'd prefer the Compass.

Part II:
I guess I can ask my question in a different way. Suppose I have the Compass, will a standalone amp below $400 make it even better? What kind of improvements will I see?

Does anyone has an idea? Thank you in advance.

May 15, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #7,025 of 7,725
I just swapped out HDAMs and went with the Moon+Bright Setting. I must say I like Earth+Neutral better, but this definitely provides a much more relaxing sound. My main musical taste is Metal so I don't feel this setting matches up well, but I also dig Jazz and some Vocal music which I think the Moon is perfect for.

May 15, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #7,026 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha just because YOU can't figure out how to properly use ASIO doesn't mean anyone is trying to ruin your computer. This thread gets more ridiculous every day.

I agree. Zeig Heil!

May 15, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #7,027 of 7,725
I'm considering purchasing a Compass solely for the DAC (receiving from an optical or USB source) and connecting it to a Darkvoice 336i amp via RCAs. Since I won't be using the amplifier portion of the Compass at all, do you all think it's still worth it for the DAC portion or are there better options available for a pass-thru DAC with optical and USB inputs and RCA outputs?

Thanks for the help and lets not let this thread turn into a circus.

May 15, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #7,028 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dat_Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just swapped out HDAMs and went with the Moon+Bright Setting. I must say I like Earth+Neutral better, but this definitely provides a much more relaxing sound. My main musical taste is Metal so I don't feel this setting matches up well, but I also dig Jazz and some Vocal music which I think the Moon is perfect for.

Dude, for Metal, you have to try Sun + neutral. With Senn 650, Sun + bright might even sound better!
darthsmile.gif

May 15, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #7,029 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by druelle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm considering purchasing a Compass solely for the DAC (receiving from an optical or USB source) and connecting it to a Darkvoice 336i amp via RCAs. Since I won't be using the amplifier portion of the Compass at all, do you all think it's still worth it for the DAC portion or are there better options available for a pass-thru DAC with optical and USB inputs and RCA outputs?

Thanks for the help and lets not let this thread turn into a circus.

If your not going to be using the amp at all, it'd be better just buying a standalone DAC. If your interested in the Compass, then the next step up would be the DAC-200, which costs just a bit more than the compass but other's report that it should sound better. The website info page is here: н¨ÍøÒ³ 1

May 15, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #7,030 of 7,725
Payment sent and now I just got to wait! I ordered it with the Earth, Moon, and Sun. I am looking forward to a major setup in my sound system and a wide range of sound options to go between! Now I got to go to the mall this weekend to buy some new albums so I will have plenty of new music to burn it in with!!!!!!!1111

May 15, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #7,031 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by joewatch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude, for Metal, you have to try Sun + neutral. With Senn 650, Sun + bright might even sound better!
darthsmile.gif

I was too cheap to order the Sun
frown.gif

Once I have some more hours on the Moon (at about 150 or so) I will likely switch back to Earth+Neutral. That seemed to be a great match for the 650s, no matter what style of music I was listening to. The Compass has such great value just based on the fact that you can get so many different kinds of sounds out of this one unit, you can fine tune it to your taste.
L3000.gif
beerchug.gif

May 15, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #7,033 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by pete~ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does anybody else find the smell from the compass overpowering?

Its especially noticeable when you take the lid off but even when its on, it fills my room.

I noticed a smell only when I changed the opamp. When closed I have no smell, I will admit that I had it running 24/7 for 5 days straight at my office before I got to it again after that so perhaps it burnt off the smell. Regardless, there is absolutely no smell coming from my amp now, even when I open it.

May 15, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #7,034 of 7,725
ok now can somebody help me with my humming issues please?

I have the compass connected to my power amp and its humming. It sounds like a ground loop hum. I have tried allsorts but cant fix it.

Kingwa has suggested that its the cables but that hasnt solved it either. My amp does not hum with another cd player connected to it.

thanks.

May 15, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #7,035 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by pete~ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok now can somebody help me with my humming issues please?

I have the compass connected to my power amp and its humming. It sounds like a ground loop hum. I have tried allsorts but cant fix it.

Kingwa has suggested that its the cables but that hasnt solved it either. My amp does not hum with another cd player connected to it.

thanks.

Why don't you do what arcer63 suggested: take a photograph of your setup with all the connections so people here can determine where the problem might lie?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back