The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
May 13, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #6,961 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, maybe this would help you guys :

н¨ÍøÒ³ 1

[...]

Thanks for this link, never noticed it on their website!

If my exceptionally complex calculations are true, then this thing would output ~1.4W @ 62Ohm (K701) and that's a lot
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #6,962 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand what you are saying and I also agree to it, but what I was trying to say is that its better to ask and then post a comment, I mean there might be some informations not available on thread or even on Audio GD web page, and in that case its better to approach the company directly rather than coming to a conclusion as to why that information isn't provided. That is what I was trying to say and it really has very little to do with time difference. The rest I absolutely agree with you..
smily_headphones1.gif

[size=x-small]I hear you loud and clear. For some reason some people seem to post strange and/or totally impatient questions to this thread that should be addressed directly with A-GD if they really do have a legitimate question at all. I'm continually amazed at how responsive A-GD is. I honestly think Kingwa should sleep more, but I respect his work ethic 110%++++. He's my type of professional, and I'm putting my money where my mouth is....

I think scenarios like Doping Panda's and others brought to the thread tonight are perfect reasons why this thread exists, and I'm very glad if any of my responses helped them out at all. These guys are just clearly music lovers wanting to enjoy their music...
[/size]

May 13, 2009 at 9:58 AM Post #6,964 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by op2003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for this link, never noticed it on their website!

If my exceptionally complex calculations are true, then this thing would output ~1.4W @ 62Ohm (K701) and that's a lot
smily_headphones1.gif

Glad you found it useful, that link has been there for quite a while, you need to click on the specifications (above the dimensions and price in the Compass page), just like most of Audio GD's other gears, they don't write the technical specs on the product page, but provide a link to it.

May 13, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #6,967 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solid Snake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everything was okay at first but the next day it started to get really bad so I am pretty sure the contacts were clean and everything was connected firmly.<<<SNIP>>>

SS,
Here's what you want to use. The itter specs are non existant. I use one to feed my Compass and a set of Digital studio Monitors. It is VERY Nice.

ATI DMM104 1X4 Digital Format Converter | BSWUSA.com

May 13, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #6,968 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by godluvsxs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Emmm ... a lil bit of off topic, anyone one tried to place some Vibrapod isolator - The Vibrapod Company under their Compass? Quite alot of users from worldwide reporting audible improvement using them underneath CDP, DAC, AMP, Vinyl ...

Most important is their price is kinda cheap, USD6 per isolator
biggrin.gif

How susceptible do you think electrons are to Vibration?

May 13, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #6,970 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Shhh! If you respond the tweak supporters will get angry. And when they come around, so do the skeptics! Pretty soon, we'll have another one of those ugly debate threads.

...Let's sit back and enjoy the music.

May 13, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #6,971 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Emmm ... doesnt has a clue ... but I believe there must be some "effect" there ... as Kingwa mentioned before, you must do the practical part instead of blindly following the theory, best part is some of the Vibraport dealers are offering 30 days Money Back Guarantee
biggrin.gif
I guess it's no harm to try with this scheme

May 13, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #6,972 of 7,725
No harm at all. It's your money after all
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

May 13, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #6,973 of 7,725
Electrons are subatomic particles and they can get very confused with vibration. Result: particles that both don't know where they are and don't know where they're going. Jeez, don't you folks read your Heisenberg.
tongue_smile.gif

May 13, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #6,975 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you think jitter makes much of a difference, see if you can get a straight answer to a very simple question: assuming we're talking about levels of jitter that are not so horrible as to cause bit errors, what does digital jitter sound like when it gets converted to analog audio? I have yet to receive a plausible answer to that question from anyone, whether audiophile or high end equipment manufacturer.

It's odd quoting myself, but I just saw a very interesting article on the topic of jitter by Steve Nugent of Empirical Audio in the May/June 2009 issue of Positive Feedback. It's the most thoughtful and intelligent discussion of the topic that I have seen, stripping away the usual audiophile bombast. While Nugent certainly advocates for reducing jitter as much as possible, he cites subjective listening tests in which, "the majority could not hear any difference between the tracks, even though the jitter ranged from 0 ns to 1000 ns." [Jitter is usually measured in "ps" or picoseconds, so 1000 nanoseconds would be an immense amount of jitter.] Nugent's position is that the tests show, "just how unresolving most audiophile systems are," and that it would take a trained ear to hear the effects of jitter. He even notes that in some cases, jitter could have a modest beneficial effect on sound, similar to that of adding dither.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back