The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
May 8, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #6,736 of 7,725
I did get some info but I'd like to get some from people who have received theres and hear their input. Thank you though!

May 8, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #6,737 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shizdan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did get some info but I'd like to get some from people who have received theres and hear their input. Thank you though!

I ordered mine on the 19th and it was shipepd on the 5th. I haven't received it yet but I can tell you that Kingwa is really busy sorting out the huge amount of orders for this amp. So yes there is a delay but you will eventually receive it if you decide to order it. All issues regrdaing mishandling of the package by DHL have been adressed so i don't see why you would not receive your package. Kingwa is very receptive in case you have a received a default item. He will replace it. Just email him if you have more questions.

May 8, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #6,738 of 7,725
I'm now approaching the 200 hour mark, and I'm very pleased at the sound I'm getting with my er4s. I remember reading a thread some time ago about the best headphones you own. A lot of people rated them no.1. These included people who had the hd580/600s, hd650s, k701s, and dt880s. At the time I was wondering what these people were smoking. Don't get me wrong, up until now I loved my er4s. They are the best iems I ever heard, but I didn't think they were as good as my hd580s or my sextett lps. They were however always better than my dt770/80s. Now I've changed my mind. The compass has great synergy with these. I still greatly prefer my mingda mc84 with all my of other cans, but the er4s never went to well with any of the tube amps I've owned. The only solid states I have right now is a little dot mkI portable, and a motu 828. With the compass, I like them better than both my hd580s and sextett lps. Another nice bonus. The compass has allowed me to rediscover my er4s.

May 8, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #6,739 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by obentou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And well, [un]fortunately I am not overly crazy about high-end gear! The hobby is way too taxing. I am personally looking for the "sweet spot" for a price
tongue.gif
erformance ratio so I wouldn't really delve into Stax systems, nice tube-amps, or etc. I simply wouldn't appreciate the minute improvements in sound as you go up in price so I don't think it is worth it in my eyes.

Where have I heard this one before.... ?
biggrin.gif
If I had a dollar for every person I've heard say this I'd be buying my gear with other peoples money year in year out...once you hear a glimpse of how things could be or should be it's tough to stand pat or take a step back.....

I seem to recall Phewl saying this exact same thing a year ago...guess what he has now ?

A STAX system
bigsmile_face.gif
And he's loving it ...
tongue_smile.gif

On another note entirely I hooked up some speakers to an old Carver M200T amp of mine (yanked out of storage and cleaned it up inside and out this evening) to give the Compass preamp section a desktop workout using some small 2 way Klipsch pro media monitors in a near field arrangement. Got the surprise of my life...the little garbage speakers aren't half bad properly amped although some vintage JBLs will take their place once I have the stands finished.

Quite good results despite preconceived notions leading me to think this couldn't be very good. The little Carver (120 W RMS) isn't exactly little but the Compass/Carver combo is pretty darn good....used the Klipsch sub with them...need to get a better sub in there when the JBL's are ready to go. Have a vintage sub (upgraded with new driver and plate amp) ready to go !

Peete.

May 8, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #6,740 of 7,725
SQ will get even better moodryn...your only 1/3 of the way through burn in sorry to say.

Peete.

May 8, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #6,741 of 7,725
^ LOL good story Peete. I know for sure I won't be going that route... well, about 99% sure!

Pulled the trigger on the Compass tonight. Also in the progress of trading my iBasso D10 for a pair of AKG K701's. Hopefully this little combo will either match or best my current D10 + ESW10JPN combination. If it does, the ESW10JPN's are going up on the BST.

May 8, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #6,743 of 7,725
Hi
I need a little help here. How do you guys get music to play through the compass over usb? Should my computer automatically recognise the usb?

I'm really sorry but i've never done this before. I just got my compass and now I just can't wait to hear it
frown.gif
. Thx

[edit]: nvm, problem's been fixed
smily_headphones1.gif

May 8, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #6,744 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by obentou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And well, [un]fortunately I am not overly crazy about high-end gear! The hobby is way too taxing. I am personally looking for the "sweet spot" for a price
tongue.gif
erformance ratio so I wouldn't really delve into Stax systems, nice tube-amps, or etc. I simply wouldn't appreciate the minute improvements in sound as you go up in price so I don't think it is worth it in my eyes.

A Stax system really isn't that expensive if you go used though; it probably would cost even less than a nice dynamic setup. The prices have been going up lately, but before it wouldn't be too uncommon to get a Lambda and a transformer box for about $300USD, which is less than the cost of a ESW10JPN. You'd have to get a speaker amp for it, but a T-amp or a used speaker amp isn't going to cost that much. Then, you can take the money would have spent on a dynamic headphone amp and save it or put it into buying a better DAC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I seem to recall Phewl saying this exact same thing a year ago...guess what he has now ?

A STAX system
bigsmile_face.gif
And he's loving it ...
tongue_smile.gif

Exactly what is happening to me. I remember telling myself that I would never buy a headphone amp or get into Stax and now I have a Compass in transit and possibly a Stax system in transit as well. It's all good though since I'll probably be loving the sounds I'm going to hear.
beerchug.gif

May 8, 2009 at 9:35 AM Post #6,745 of 7,725
My one shows to be signed and received and waiting for me in hotel lobby, but something about friday evening I just wanna sit around at home and not move haha.

May 8, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #6,746 of 7,725
thanks for emptying my wallet head-fi, just bought one of these, hopefully i get it soon and it will treat me well for years to come!

May 8, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #6,750 of 7,725
Do you also need to burn-in the Compass for each connection type - USB, Opt, Coax?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back