The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
May 7, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #6,721 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by obentou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey yeah I will!

I calculated a preliminary quote by myself and it is going to cost me close to $400 CDN... $258 USD + $49 USD, + 4% paypal that they want. On top of customs fees if they are going to mark it above $100.

I have to convince them to mark it below $60 CDN and as a gift, that way I won't get slammed with so many fees.

What is this bagger incident? If they won't mark it down for me I probably won't order, it is going to cost way too much unfortunately.

Just an honest question. We all dont like paying all sorts of charges on top, however what are your thoughts on marking down? What are peoples thoughts here? It may well minimise customs charges but on the other hand I am sure it is an illegal practice.

May 7, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #6,722 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by pete~ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just an honest question. We all dont like paying all sorts of charges on top, however what are your thoughts on marking down? What are peoples thoughts here? It may well minimise customs charges but on the other hand I am sure it is an illegal practice.

Well I think asking for a set amount is taking advantage of the vendor who is already selling the thing at cost and giving a really good break on express air service...add onto that a declaration well below the actual value........IMO at least. Read on...

There is reasonable requests and unreasonable...asking something to be marked at $20 / gift is unreasonable...since A-GD is one assuming 100% of the risk in case it disappears or gets damaged in transit. The bagger incident already cost A-GD a small fortune....let's not make things worse by getting greedy.

Peete.

May 7, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #6,723 of 7,725
I also find it unreasonable but if the seller agrees then I usually assume responsibility since I requested the specific mark-down. Of course, if the seller wants to insure it at its full cost, then either I take the customs hit or not purchase it at all!

I bought a laptop off eBay and of course I didn't want that to be marked down. I bought it insured for its full value and had to pay ~$150 in customs fees.

May 7, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #6,724 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I think asking for a set amount is taking advantage of the vendor who is already selling the thing at cost and giving a really good break on express air service...add onto that a declaration well below the actual value........IMO at least. Read on...

There is reasonable requests and unreasonable...asking something to be marked at $20 / gift is unreasonable...since A-GD is one assuming 100% of the risk in case it disappears or gets damaged in transit. The bagger incident already cost A-GD a small fortune....let's not make things worse by getting greedy.

Peete.

But my point is not about whether it's reasonable or not. It's illegal to ask them to mark the price down to minimise customs charging. I am sure the same applies worldwide.

May 7, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #6,725 of 7,725
It's Good to understand every bodies' Motivations here.

Kingwa has a Motivation for marking the declaration down also.

It affects the bottom line of the sale, and the buyer and the seller knows it. As evidenced by the current conversation. If he marks a REF1 at $1390 those Guys in Cannuck Land and the EU are gonna get nailed and he'll lose sales.

Luckily in the US of A, we are extremely bad at collecting this. This may change for us as well. The "Government" just hired 800 more IRS agents. Wait till they figure out they are losing on Custom's duties! Gonna get ugly fast for overseas vendors.

May 7, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #6,726 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by pete~ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But my point is not about whether it's reasonable or not. It's illegal to ask them to mark the price down to minimise customs charging. I am sure the same applies worldwide.

I'm sure it is also. You have to sign the declaration with penalties outlined in the US to export anything.

May 7, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #6,727 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Peete.

I suppose there'd be little harm in the buyer requesting Kingwa declare the value as $20, but only on the basis that the buyer forfeited any rights regarding claims for damage in transit...

No idea whether Kingwa would be keen on that idea. To be fair, he should declare the full value, and the buyer should pay their fair share toward the needs and upkeep of their country.
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

May 8, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #6,728 of 7,725
OK, I managed to convince Audio-gd to mark it down. But with this I told them I would assume full responsibility for any damage caused.

The cost will be around $372 CAD in the case there are no customs charges... pretty steep. I wish the CAD were stronger.

May 8, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #6,729 of 7,725
I wonder if my money would be better spent on having the upgraded power cable or ordering the moon and sun with the earth. I know the better power cable will give me better sound, but the sun and moon will give me different sound that I may or may not like....

May 8, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #6,730 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by obentou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, I managed to convince Audio-gd to mark it down. But with this I told them I would assume full responsibility for any damage caused.

The cost will be around $372 CAD in the case there are no customs charges... pretty steep. I wish the CAD were stronger.

Steep ?

You had better not go anywhere near the high end forum then.

Peete.

May 8, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #6,731 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suppose there'd be little harm in the buyer requesting Kingwa declare the value as $20, but only on the basis that the buyer forfeited any rights regarding claims for damage in transit...

No idea whether Kingwa would be keen on that idea. To be fair, he should declare the full value, and the buyer should pay their fair share toward the needs and upkeep of their country.
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

It's like looking a gift horse in the mouth and saying "is that all ?"

Maybe I'm making too much out of nothing...I've said my piece.

Peete.

May 8, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #6,732 of 7,725
^ Naw, I find it is a big deal too if the buyer requests the package to be underdeclared and wants compensation for damage. I find this unfair and I assume responsibility if I ask the seller to mark it down.

And well, [un]fortunately I am not overly crazy about high-end gear! The hobby is way too taxing. I am personally looking for the "sweet spot" for a price
tongue.gif
erformance ratio so I wouldn't really delve into Stax systems, nice tube-amps, or etc. I simply wouldn't appreciate the minute improvements in sound as you go up in price so I don't think it is worth it in my eyes.

Being a student too, there's no way I can afford it either so meh, lots of deterrents anyways. I'll be happy with a DAC/AMP and a headphone of choice.

May 8, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #6,733 of 7,725
Hey Guys I have been Looking at this Dac/Amp for awhile and had a few questions..

1 - How long does it take from when you order it to when it gets to your house? (I'm from the U.s)

2 - Since I'm pretty new to audio, what is the best OPA to start with?

May 8, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #6,735 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroibis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if my money would be better spent on having the upgraded power cable or ordering the moon and sun with the earth. I know the better power cable will give me better sound, but the sun and moon will give me different sound that I may or may not like....

I would go with whatever will give you better sound, but that being said, how do you know the upgraded power cable will do that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back