The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
May 1, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #6,526 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using the Pre-Amp out to my Audioengine A2s. I would have liked to use the DAC out so I would just have to hit the SUPER button to engage the speakers, but the volume control on the A2 is on the back of the powered speaker. This is my only complaint about the A2.

The Pre-Amp out works great with the A2s...much better than my soundcard out.

They must have thought that Vol control(Spkr) would be a max level control and not an everyday use control. Shame, you could avoid the Headamp with the DAC out.

May 1, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #6,527 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They must have thought that Vol control(Spkr) would be a max level control and not an everyday use control. Shame, you could avoid the Headamp with the DAC out.

I'm considering picking up a passive volume attenuator...SM Pro Audio makes the iNano. Everything I've read about it here indicates it has no adverse effect on SQ.

May 1, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #6,528 of 7,725
Quote:

I'm considering picking up a passive volume attenuator...SM Pro Audio makes the iNano. Everything I've read about it here indicates it has no adverse effect on SQ.

There ya go!

May 1, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #6,530 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Pixel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Somebody mentioned a couple of hundred pages back you could fry your Compass if you used the pre-out to power passive speakers?

I have the Compass set to low gain. I recall reading that it was OK provided you used the low gain. Anyone with more info on this? I'd hate to cook my Compass or my A2s.
eek.gif

May 1, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #6,531 of 7,725
Quote:

I have the Compass set to low gain. I recall reading that it was OK provided you used the low gain. Anyone with more info on this? I'd hate to cook my Compass or my A2s.
eek.gif

I'm pretty sure the A2s are active speakers.

May 1, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #6,533 of 7,725
Quote:

Yeah...and your point?

i think someone mentioned that the preamp fry passive speaker just now

since u are using active speaker, most likely u are safe
popcorn.gif

i guess if it can fry active speaker, there is nothing it can't fry
dt880smile.png

May 1, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #6,534 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starguard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a question for you folks using the compass to power speakers... How exactly are you doing this?

I have mine hooked up with interconnects from the Compass preamp outs to the inputs on an old Denon integrated amp. These are the inputs that bypass the pre-amp portion of the Denon, so I am only using the Denon amp in this application.

I tried using the super button and just running the Compass DAC into the pre-amp in on the Denon, but it did not sound nearly as good as when using the Compass as the pre-amp.

This is then hooked up to a pair of mid level Mission floor standing speakers and sounds much better than running straight thru the old Denon CD player and integrated amp. Its great to be able to just hit the Denon power putton and flip the pre-amp switch on the Compass and get music thru the speakers, the versatility of the Compass is just amazing.

I would really like to try this setup with a better 2 channel amp, like the Audio-GD Panther that is designed to match the Compass, but the IRS cleaned out my piggy bank, so that will have to wait awhile. Of course there are also a huge number of 2 channel amp options that I could pick up used for less than the Panther, so I will have to decide.

Hope this helped.

Mark

May 1, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #6,535 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by squall343 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think someone mentioned that the preamp fry passive speaker just now

since u are using active speaker, most likely u are safe
popcorn.gif

i guess if it can fry active speaker, there is nothing it can't fry
dt880smile.png

Ahhh...I see. Thanks!

May 1, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #6,536 of 7,725
Something weird is happening. Every so often I check the temp of the Compass. But for some reason it turns into a little bit of petting. It feels really smooth. Just thought I'd get that out there. Oh, and I cant remember who said it, but AR Rahman does sound great on it. I'm gonna see what classical sounds like next. I have to keep myself away from it so I can concentrate though. Ive got finals in 9 days. This is going to be hard...

May 1, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #6,537 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by arcer63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something weird is happening. Every so often I check the temp of the Compass. But for some reason it turns into a little bit of petting. It feels really smooth. Just thought I'd get that out there. Oh, and I cant remember who said it, but AR Rahman does sound great on it. I'm gonna see what classical sounds like next. I have to keep myself away from it so I can concentrate though. Ive got finals in 9 days. This is going to be hard...

That's a little disturbing... maybe you need a (live) pet :p

And here, you can listen to this:
Amazon.com: Music For The Mozart Effect, Volume 1, Strengthen the Mind: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Capella Istropolitana, Northern Chamber Orchestra, Old Fairfield Orchestra, Janos Sebestyen, Malcolm Bilson, Wolf Harden, Takako Nishizaki: Music

May 1, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #6,538 of 7,725
Quote:

Okay, maybe its not actual(sustained) petting, i just slide my hand across it while pulling away as opposed to pulling directly(perpendicularly) away.

Thanks for the link. I probably shouldn't listen to it through the compass though. Oh, I didnt realize it was a link to amazon, I think I've got enough classical. Or I'll be able to get more fairly easily.

May 1, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #6,539 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by arcer63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, maybe its not actual(sustained) petting, i just slide my hand across it while pulling away as opposed to pulling directly(perpendicularly) away.

Thanks for the link. I probably shouldn't listen to it through the compass though. Oh, I didnt realize it was a link to amazon, I think I've got enough classical. Or I'll be able to get more fairly easily.

Ha ha! I read this post before reading what you wrote previously and had no idea what you were talking about. It sounds wrong on so many levels!
popcorn.gif

May 1, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #6,540 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, the more I read of this unit the more I want one. Too bad I have way too many amps/dacs laying aroung. It sure looks good!

Give it a shot...you could always sell it rather quickly I'm willing to bet if it doesn't measure up. It edged out my highly modified Jaycar amp by a good margin if that helps your thought processes any (since I know you have one)
regular_smile .gif

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back