The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Apr 29, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #6,421 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by sarathcpt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks
bigsmile_face.gif
... Just tested, all working ! Initial impression within the first half an hour of listening that any newbie with untrained ears like mine would notice :
i). soundstage - I can happily say now I understand the meaning of this and feel the improved soundstage. Seems like music is being played from a space around you, rather than right next to your ears. Some instruments appearing to be played farther from you compared to others, nice separation.
ii). detail - the improvement in this is again quite easy to notice.

I was initially underwhelmed when I started off in this hobby few months before with the D2000 and just a Bithead from the Macbook pro. It was good but nothing exciting. Now with D2000+Compass...I get an idea of whats in store for me
biggrin.gif
!

Well I am a newbie myself when it comes to headphones, but I can surely say with all the different combinations of OPAMPS and Compass aging itself, you are in for a very exciting journey.. btw, D2000 + Compass + AR Rehman = one of my favorite musical experience..
smily_headphones1.gif
.. To be more specific HD600, since I dont have a D2000..

Quote:

I'm thinking about getting one of these babies, but i'm a little unsure as to what voltage i need? 120v or 220v? Anyone help a newbie out?

I am shock-ed !..
smily_headphones1.gif
.. where are you located??..

Quote:

I ordered mine on the 19th. Does anyone know when is the next shipping date?

They usually ship on Mondays and Fridays, but lately I think they need 15 days to ship after the order is placed, don't know if that would be applicable in your case - its best to ask Ms Cherry @ Audio GD.

Apr 29, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #6,422 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.. btw, D2000 + Compass + AR Rehman = one of my favorite musical experience..
smily_headphones1.gif

Exactly what I am listening to right now
beerchug.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #6,427 of 7,725
My Compass arrived a week ago - in mint condition. I've tested all inputs, and they work flawlessly, just waiting for new active desktop speakers to test its pre-amp capabilities. I must say this is a smashingly well manufactured product, and to me it sounds great out of the box. What remains now is to burn in the amp as such, burn in the Earth and the supplemental Moon and Sun I bought, burn in the four different settings, and then start exploring the endless permutations :)

Apr 29, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #6,428 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krackatus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking about getting one of these babies, but i'm a little unsure as to what voltage i need? 120v or 220v? Anyone help a newbie out?

The 440v have the best soundstage, they do produce a lot of heat though.

Ohhh, and you can only use them on Nuclear Subs...

Apr 29, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #6,429 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 440v have the best soundstage, they do produce a lot of heat though.

Ohhh, and you can only use them on Nuclear Subs...

Oh right, thanks for that. It dosn't mention it on Audio-gds website.
Only on Nuclear subs you say? That could be problematic.
I mean, i was planning on using it on a submarine obviously, but i'm not sure it has nuclear capabilities. I'll have to check the manual later.

Apr 29, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #6,430 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krackatus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh right, thanks for that. It dosn't mention it on Audio-gds website.
Only on Nuclear subs you say? That could be problematic.
I mean, i was planning on using it on a submarine obviously, but i'm not sure it has nuclear capabilities. I'll have to check the manual later.

What'd you expect, the guy's from Jupiter!

Apr 29, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #6,433 of 7,725
Well I received my compass today. Initial impressions are quiet good. The amp is a little better than I was expecting, although not as powerful as I was expecting. I can stand to turn the volume all the way on the high gain setting using my sextetts(well they are 600ohms). The dac is pretty much what I was expecting, but what did catch me by surprise was the preamp. The preamp section blew me away. This thing is able to drive my mingda tube amp like only my 1500.00 receiver could ever dream of. And sound great doing it. My mingda sounds better than it ever had. I really wasn't expecting anything like this to happen. Wow what a bonus. If I was grading everything on a word scale from average, good, very good, and great; I would have to say that the dac is good, the amp is very good, and the preamp is borderling great. Well I guess I'll go out on a limb and say it is great(to me of course). Of course I expect things to greatly improve with burn in. I have a moon with about 250-300 hours on it. So comparing it the a fresh earth is an unfair comparison, but I did anyway. And I like the neutrality of the earth. It does sound like it needs to settle in, and I do like the smoothness of the moon, but I think I might like the earth better after burn in. And I know the moon isn't completely burned in either. So after I'm finished with the earth, I'll finish the moon also. This is an unbelievable value for 320.00 shipped. I still like my mingda amp better than the compass amp, but it's not totally outclassed by it. If my mingda was a ferrari, the compass would be a corvette.

Apr 29, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #6,434 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starguard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well here's something unfortunate:

I just got my confirmation that my order has shipped but on the DHL tracking number...

The city/zip code is wrong and my name is spelled wrong.

damn

Same on Mine, they explained it though. My City was wrong but the zip was correct. What I was told is that the City is a DHL hub.

I'm workin' on gettin' that YES up for ya.

Apr 30, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #6,435 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by moodyrn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I received my compass today. Initial impressions are quiet good. The amp is a little better than I was expecting, although not as powerful as I was expecting. I can stand to turn the volume all the way on the high gain setting using my sextetts(well they are 600ohms). The dac is pretty much what I was expecting, but what did catch me by surprise was the preamp. The preamp section blew me away. This thing is able to drive my mingda tube amp like only my 1500.00 receiver could ever dream of. And sound great doing it. My mingda sounds better than it ever had. I really wasn't expecting anything like this to happen. Wow what a bonus. If I was grading everything on a word scale from average, good, very good, and great; I would have to say that the dac is good, the amp is very good, and the preamp is borderling great. Well I guess I'll go out on a limb and say it is great(to me of course). Of course I expect things to greatly improve with burn in. I have a moon with about 250-300 hours on it. So comparing it the a fresh earth is an unfair comparison, but I did anyway. And I like the neutrality of the earth. It does sound like it needs to settle in, and I do like the smoothness of the moon, but I think I might like the earth better after burn in. And I know the moon isn't completely burned in either. So after I'm finished with the earth, I'll finish the moon also. This is an unbelievable value for 320.00 shipped. I still like my mingda amp better than the compass amp, but it's not totally outclassed by it. If my mingda was a ferrari, the compass would be a corvette.

Something very strange on mine also, the Gain is sometimes greatly different from day to day. It seems to be more stabilized at present with approc. 375 hours on it. I found the same thing you did from time to time, then other times, the gain was spot on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back