The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Apr 29, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #6,391 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You posted this in the HDAM thread also...

Similar questions, yes, but not the same. The post in this thread is more specific and relates to the HDAM when used in the Compass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like you said yourself - the Earth seems like the best match for you. But since they don't cost much I think you should go for both. Buying one at a later state would be much more expensive with the separate freight cost.

I take the point but I was hoping for insight into the signatures. If no one has heard the combination (unlikely, surely?), then fair enough. However, I was hoping for more than, 'Why don't you just buy them?' It's probably what I'll end up doing (!) but with the right information I may be able to make a decision up front.

Apr 29, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #6,392 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To have some impressions of what it would look like, I found this here.
Whatever the benefits, it certainly isn't pretty.
biggrin.gif

I just got through looking at that mess...
biggrin.gif
Clearly you don't want to put this stuff anywhere near the pcbs or chips etc (heat build up is a bad idea for anything solid state)...the one exception to that being the clock can. He went way way overboard with the rope caulk.

The aluminum plate on the bottom is a great idea as is the home made platform and roller bearing footers.

I'll post a quick pic of the HK and the brass rollers I use for the Vanguard CDM12 Pro...looks way better than this guys mess (on the inside and outside)
smily_headphones1.gif

The HK has a dedicated power supply for the Tentlabs TX02 board you see on mounted on the ceramic tile base. I used a set of soft rubber standoffs to further isolate the clock board from the chassis while the PSREG board for it is also mounted on the ceramic tile that is affixed under the transports mechanism proper. Every single diode,electrolytic cap and some resistors were swapped for Nichicon PW/Muse/HE/or VK and Elna Cerafine. Some Panasonic FM used in the lPSU section but for the most part this board used 95% Nichicon caps. Some PIO bypass caps are installed on the discrete output coupling caps (when used as a CDP instead of the digital out this section benefits greatly from the PIO bypass caps in this spot). Of course all the large electrolytic caps are also bypassed with PIO's including the PSREG board caps.

The diodes are all Fairchild UF4007, what else..oh yeah CMC jacks and silver plated copper OFC hookup wire. The biggest improvement came with the Tentlabs clock and separate PSU then the main PSU rebuild and finally the additional damping refined everything. I use 3 brass cones for feet and set the whole thing on a Bright Star IsoRock 4 platform (constrained layer device, look it up Bright Star Audio). The results are way better than stock, much much better resolution, stage depth, detailing etc..sounds far less digital that's for sure. The next possible step is to go with a Digital out reclocking board (Tentlabs TX03) but I don't think I'll bother.

The reason why I bothered going to all this trouble with this particular cdp is because it use a discrete analog output stage and the DAC chip is a pretty good Burr Brown unit the PCM1710U. I guess a good tweak would be to swap all the ceramic caps for silver mica........among other possible changes...maybe a better transformer (toroidal type, 30VA or so) Maybe
smily_headphones1.gif

Brass Mi-Rollers

Peete.

PS : I need to take pics of the Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000 which has far more extensive damping added to it along with big and small tiles to the top chassis cover. It's quite heavy compared to the HK CDP although the addition of the parts in the pic did add around 4 lbs plus 1.5 lbs of the caulk and 2 tiles. The chassis lid underside has quite a bit of rope caulk as well (not shown in the pic)

Apr 29, 2009 at 12:22 PM Post #6,394 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good to see you !..
smily_headphones1.gif
have you sent back the old version or are you planning to have both ?

I'll be keeping both but I'm not in a rush at the moment. Hopefully Kingwa will have the whole DHL mess behind him soon enough!

Apr 29, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #6,395 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starguard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, I don't want to be rude here, but this is a thread for the COMPASS.

Please. Make a new thread, PM, or go somewhere else with this CD stuff.

[size=xx-small]Well all this in bold already sounds, if not rude then a warning !!..
smily_headphones1.gif
I think its fair enough because if one can talk about Foobar or different PC softwares, then I guess a couple of pages on CD players is no harm, especially when there are quite a few folks who prefer the CDP/DVDP hooked on to the Compass, its all in the chain - just like the headphones - IMHO.[/size]

Quote:

Originally Posted by csroc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be keeping both but I'm not in a rush at the moment. Hopefully Kingwa will have the whole DHL mess behind him soon enough!

That would be good ! you can always look at both side by side and say that was a good job !..
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #6,396 of 7,725
Does anyone know how the Compass compares to something like the Benchmark DAC1?
I know they are in completley different price ranges, but it would be very interesting to hear just how well the Compass competes with it.

Apr 29, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #6,397 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krackatus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know how the Compass compares to something like the Benchmark DAC1?
I know they are in completley different price ranges, but it would be very interesting to hear just how well the Compass competes with it.

See here.

Apr 29, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #6,398 of 7,725
Looks like Pacific Valve is selling the Compass now.

Pacific Valve & Electric Company Pacific Audio gd Compass DAC

Price is much higher, but ships from within the US and they support the unit if bought there.

Wonder how many Compass were produced for Pacific Valve, that could be another reason for some of the delays some have had.

Apr 29, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #6,399 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by lowlevelowl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Price is much higher, but ships from within the US and they support the unit if bought there.

Wonder how many Compass were produced for Pacific Valve, that could be another reason for some of the delays some have had.

I think this was Pacific Valve's last order. (From the Audio-gd shipping page.)

Quote:

USA JoeCompass X3 C2C X2

So that's just a drop in the ocean of Compasses.

Apr 29, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #6,400 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by anoobis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but with the right information I may be able to make a decision up front.

I disagree... the ONLY person who can decide this is you. You could get 3 entirely different responses about the same combination... I happen to like the Sun, even with my Grados - I don't call it fatiguing or overly bright, but I'm in the CAST minority on this. I also happen to like to switch it up to the Earth AND Moon sometimes...

IMO, the most important thing you can learn in this hobby is that the only impression that really matters is your own, and you mileage WILL vary - potentially very greatly.

Apr 29, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #6,401 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by lowlevelowl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The price with shipping is only 40.00 more. You do get a 30 day money back return policy, and full product support . Shipping would be much cheaper if you ever had to return it for repairs.. For some this may be a better option. This would be the better option for me, if audio-gd customer service wasn't so good. I would still rather get it directly from audio-gd.

Apr 29, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #6,402 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree... the ONLY person who can decide this is you. You could get 3 entirely different responses about the same combination... I happen to like the Sun, even with my Grados - I don't call it fatiguing or overly bright, but I'm in the CAST minority on this. I also happen to like to switch it up to the Earth AND Moon sometimes...

IMO, the most important thing you can learn in this hobby is that the only impression that really matters is your own, and you mileage WILL vary - potentially very greatly.

He's right everybody has different opinions on how each of these sound. Some people think the moon is too smooth, and lacking in details. Others think the moon has just the right amound of details. Some think the souundstage of the earth is too narrow, while others think it plenty wide. That's why a lot of people purchase additional hdams.

Apr 29, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #6,403 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wise advice!

Apr 29, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #6,404 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by moodyrn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The price with shipping is only 40.00 more. You do get a 30 day money back return policy, and full product support . Shipping would be much cheaper if you ever had to return it for repairs.. For some this may be a better option. This would be the better option for me, if audio-gd customer service wasn't so good. I would still rather get it directly from audio-gd.

The Price is $332 + Shipping Charges.

Apr 29, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #6,405 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Price is $332 + Shipping Charges.

For shipping to Colorado, the $40 extra is about right (with shipping) considering the extra 4% for Paypal that Audio-gd charges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back