The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Apr 26, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #6,241 of 7,725
wow that low gain of 6gb is awesome especially sicne i dont listen to music at such loud volume.

Apr 26, 2009 at 11:57 AM Post #6,242 of 7,725
ever lower gain What ? is 13db going to be enough for the akgs601 and dt770/80 pro ? guess i have to find out myself when this thing arrives, btw why did they remove their combo offers ?
frown.gif
( 20$ opa 60$ power cable 14$ coax )

Apr 26, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #6,244 of 7,725
Hi,

Need advice, I use my Zero DAC/Amp (OPA Earth/LT1364) with Sennheiser HD600, and now I'm thinking about upgrade...

I would like to stay with my Senns, so one way is to upgrade my DAC/Amp - sell Zero and buy Compass another idea is to buy dedicated amp (thinking about LD MK III or DV 336i)... What do you think would be better step up for me? Dedicated amp or Compass? :) Thanks

Apr 26, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #6,245 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by driftingbunnies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That still makes our effective lead time like 1 1/2 month while others who order two weeks ago already have it in their homes.

Hey man, I ordered the 13th and have yet to see a tracking number, so don't too upset. I think they are handling the situation the best they can... I suppose they lost quite a bit of money on this.

Apr 26, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #6,247 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoFGR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
btw why did they remove their combo offers ?
frown.gif
( 20$ opa 60$ power cable 14$ coax )

My guess is he has to recover the loss he has sustained due to the 'bagged compass' issue. Good thing is he is still keeping the promotional price of the compass, so you still have a great deal there.

To my fellow baggers : The replacements has started shipping. My name is on the Apr. 26th list!!

Apr 26, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #6,248 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by driftingbunnies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That still makes our effective lead time like 1 1/2 month while others who order two weeks ago already have it in their homes.

True...I decreased my frequency of visit to this thread during the last week. Its hard to see other's posting their impressions, when I am left staring at a damaged bagged one :p. Anyway, I think its getting over, it should be here later this week
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #6,249 of 7,725
Yeah I know they tried to handle it as professionally as they can but I feel like we shouldn't have been placed at the back of the line for production since we definitely paid before anything came out. I would've been a lot happier if i had waited to pay. Also, my name isn't on the list since I was the guy who wanted all the outputs to output at the same time. Just a little frustrated since there were plenty of compasses shipping half a week after ours were shipped which means that there were plenty of slack to accommodate for the baggers. /rant

Apr 26, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #6,250 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy_uk77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EARTH, SUN or MOON are the best matching with my hfi780,hd650 and denon d2000 ?

I'm currently digging the Earth with my modded D2000. Moon is too bottom-heavy for the HD600 so take that for what you will for the HD650.

Apr 26, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #6,251 of 7,725
I would just like to add to those of you who think us baggers are getting a "great deal" because we have a defective Compass to use as spare parts. I can't speak for anyone else, but I have absolutely no soldering or electronic assembly skills. If I did, I would build my own DAC and Amp. So, for me, the defective Compass is not spare parts but is simply a 5 kg doorstop. So, where are we baggers coming out ahead in this deal?

Don't get me wrong...I appreciate that Audio-gd is replacing our Compass. But again, we received defective Compasses thru no fault of our own but because of the shipping company hired by Audio-gd...be it DHL or DHL's agent. Sure, we didn't have to ship the defective Compasses back, but if it had meant that my replacement would have been treated as a first priority, I would have paid the $65 to ship this thing back.

Apr 26, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #6,252 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good move to lower the gain. In most music, going over 8 o'clock was too loud for me. I asked Kingwa about this recently and found out that you can reduce the gain by simply switching two 3.5K resistors to 10K ones (so the gain drop from 9db to 6db). Here is Kingwa's pic:

Is it possible to make a mini tutorial for replacing them ? Like ; which particular model, do high-end capacitor will make a slight improvement, in which way to solder it and basic tips for soldering.

I'm a complete noob at soldering and DIY and feeling a inconvenience to do it and make a fatal mistake.

Apr 26, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #6,253 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would just like to add to those of you who think us baggers are getting a "great deal" because we have a defective Compass to use as spare parts. I can't speak for anyone else, but I have absolutely no soldering or electronic assembly skills. If I did, I would build my own DAC and Amp. So, for me, the defective Compass is not spare parts but is simply a 5 kg doorstop. So, where are we baggers coming out ahead in this deal?

Don't get me wrong...I appreciate that Audio-gd is replacing our Compass. But again, we received defective Compasses thru no fault of our own but because of the shipping company hired by Audio-gd...be it DHL or DHL's agent. Sure, we didn't have to ship the defective Compasses back, but if it had meant that my replacement would have been treated as a first priority, I would have paid the $65 to ship this thing back.

Well, I never said its a "great deal", I said on the "brighter side" of things, in any case even when it comes to shipping the Compass this weekend, Audio GD has kept, like you say its promise. Which is why I reiterate that communicating directly in such cases helps.

Anyway, like I said earlier - I hope you get your Compass Soon and in perfect condition ! ..
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #6,254 of 7,725
Quote:

Hello,
You are of course correct in your observations. Many, many, many, many pages ago I laid a plan out for how to handle this and for Audio-GD to be a hero here. Part of my suggestion was cross ship new Compass' to each "bagger". The other point I mentioned was current production be diverted to replacements, and new orders would experience a slight delay, as replacements took priority. Of course I was "bagged" for some of that.

The whole Idea of this was to put the problem behind us as QUICK as possible. The last thing A-GD should want is people to be continueing to be unhappy and posting about it. A lot of Good things have taken place, don't get me wrong. However, the suggestion that anyone was enriched by a bagged Compass's??? What a ludicrous assertion! Even if you think that, don't be so stupid as to say it.

My suggestion to Kingwa, get this debacle behind you, TODAY. The "Factory Reps" here should quit being condescending and exhibit some empathy here for people who are still having issues weeks later. To come on and say, "hey, you got a Free Bag of crap" just doesn't work well in my opinion.

Apr 26, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #6,255 of 7,725
Quote:

I understand your frustration, Ive had to wait for stuff as well and absolutely hate it especially when its been broken like your compass was. But most major companies like Sony for instance would not only make you ship the broken product back, but you would also have to wait for them to recieve the product, "inspect" it for damage and then at their discretion repair or replace the product. Ive worked retail, and its rare if not virtually unheard of that a manufacturer will ship out a replacement virtually sight unseen. Again I FEEL YOUR PAIN, and hope you get your compass soon, as it is an excellent product, and you paid for it and should get a replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back