The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Apr 22, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #6,092 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhirc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any Compass owner listening to minimal techno, d'n'b, "idm", breakcore or other such stuff? Would certainly like to hear how it performs with those styles.

Still waiting for my unit coming from the customs... got a very simple reply early this morning (translated again from Finnish): "Hi. Let's do the job." They surely have a large vocabulary over there!
Anyone else here who's Compass was sent on 8th -- 12th day and has still not managed to get it (exluding the bagged club)?

I can tell you this - it sounds great with hip-hop. Has great bass response and just feels powerful - not bloated like a subwoofer, but strong and punchy. Itz gotz ballz.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 22, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #6,094 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by edselfordfong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I'm just at my parents' house, not traveling around, so I will definitely be able to burn it in and listen to it. In fact, I just realized that because the second compass is for my father, it really would be much better to send it here. I guess that they could just send it to him directly, but I'd like to be around to help him set it up. The whole computer music thing really befuddles him.

So after sleeping on it, I think I'll offer to pay for the shipping of the OPAs and cable in event that I go to LA and find them smashed.

edit: whoops, just checked my email. I had emailed her right away saying, 'I'm bummed, maybe we can figure something out.' She replied that they'll just send me the compasses and OPAs to me here at my parents house. So that's excellent news for me!

My OPA's looks intact..but I have no way to test it since my Compass unit is not working due to a smashed preamp switch. I told Cherry that. I think they are shipping only the Compass for me. I just hope atleast one out of the 3 OPA's work with the new Compass...!!

Apr 22, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #6,095 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by sarathcpt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My OPA's looks intact..but I have no way to test it since my Compass unit is not working due to a smashed preamp switch. I told Cherry that. I think they are shipping only the Compass for me. I just hope atleast one out of the 3 OPA's work with the new Compass...!!

Yeah, that occurred to me, too. How could you tell if the OPAs are working if the Compass isn't?

So what did you work out with Cherry? She's sending a Compass with no OPAs? Then what if any of the OPAs are broken? She'll send a second package?

That would really suck if all were out and you had to wait another week for your OPAs to arrive.

Oh man, I have to say, this wait is getting hard!

Apr 22, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #6,096 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skibumef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the same problem with the jumpers. They seemed to just be hanging very loose, and I was too timid to give it that little extra push and see if they do in fact snap in. But eventually I sucked it up, and here's the truth- THEY DO! So build up all of the courage you've got and just push down a little bit. Not too hard now. You'll be pleasantly surprised that they snap right into place (almost as if they intended it!). Now of course, make sure you have the jumpers positioned correctly before doing this.

Thanks for this information. I too was unsure about the jumpers & after an attempt to push them down VERY gently, decided that they must be meant to sit loosely. So, I have been operating my Compass in what I thought was soft2 mode...but now I'm guessing that the jumpers were never properly engaged
redface.gif

I'll look forward to trying it with the jumpers properly pushed in...maybe this will change my impression of the Sun HDAM, which has sounded so harsh to my ears. On a separate note, I'm really loving the Compass with the Senn HD650's- my jazz recordings never sounded so good before!

Apr 22, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #6,097 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by arcer63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You think that's bad? While I am waiting for my Compass to arrive in the mail I am doing that same thing with this thread.
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

"Just one more page..." And then its 3:00 am. I sure hope it doesnt get much worse, I get only three hours of sleep before my Tuesdays and Thursdays as it stands.
confused_face.gif

If you think the forums are bad, get yourself a motorbike. The first few times you ride it, it's just so overwhelmingly intoxicating... I doubt myself still out and about at gone 3am. Cool weather and no traffic just made it even better...

...though I'm betting that 3 months after starting, I wasn't still out in the early hours. But I am with the Compass, so I guess I've not made any real point at all...
wink.gif

~Phewl.

Apr 22, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #6,098 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by edselfordfong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, that occurred to me, too. How could you tell if the OPAs are working if the Compass isn't?

So what did you work out with Cherry? She's sending a Compass with no OPAs? Then what if any of the OPAs are broken? She'll send a second package?

That would really suck if all were out and you had to wait another week for your OPAs to arrive.

Oh man, I have to say, this wait is getting hard!

I just told that I had no way to test the OPA's eventhough it looked intact, asked if there was any other way to test it...she just emailed me saying they will mail the compass this weekend. Didn't specify with/without OPA and I didn't really push it, just let them make the decision. I am a bit optimistic that they would work, so thought I will test my luck
biggrin.gif
. The wait has stretched for one month now...so few more days won't make a big difference.

Apr 23, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #6,099 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhirc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any Compass owner listening to minimal techno, d'n'b, "idm", breakcore or other such stuff? Would certainly like to hear how it performs with those styles.

Still waiting for my unit coming from the customs... got a very simple reply early this morning (translated again from Finnish): "Hi. Let's do the job." They surely have a large vocabulary over there!
Anyone else here who's Compass was sent on 8th -- 12th day and has still not managed to get it (exluding the bagged club)?

Hmm I don't have much minimal trance. But I do have Atmos - Headcleaner and the bass is excellent, on the HD650 and through my speakers using the Compass as DAC.

Apr 23, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #6,100 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you think the forums are bad, get yourself a motorbike. The first few times you ride it, it's just so overwhelmingly intoxicating... I doubt myself still out and about at gone 3am. Cool weather and no traffic just made it even better...

...though I'm betting that 3 months after starting, I wasn't still out in the early hours. But I am with the Compass, so I guess I've not made any real point at all...
wink.gif

~Phewl.

I was exactly the same! Must have used so much petrol the first month I was riding... and there was me thinking a CBR 600 would be economical... not when you are out all hours of the day and night! Amazing feeling though - just not when you come off
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #6,102 of 7,725
Ok, just placed my order for a Compass+OPA Moon. I decided the Sun probably isn't for me and that I think getting different pads for my AKGs or saving up for an eventual source, amp, or can upgrade will serve me better at the moment than an upgraded power cable. I might end up getting one anyways later on, but at this moment in time I feel I made a good decision. Now that I placed my order, now comes the hard part: waiting for the Compass to arrive.

Apr 23, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #6,104 of 7,725
Apr 23, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #6,105 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starguard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to bump my question:

So wait--are you telling me that the compass doesn't have L/R channels? Sorry, I don't understand what crossfeed is.

I don't think I could listen to Yes's "Leave It" without it!

Of course you are talking about the a Capella version...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back