The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Apr 18, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #5,851 of 7,725
A friend come to my house today with D2000 and what I heard with Compass was a very good sound: deep bass, very SWEET highs and warm mids - I even heard things with some music I never did before.

It is a very good match in my opinion, except for its lack of soundstage.

Apr 18, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #5,852 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sganzerla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A friend come to my house today with D2000 and what I heard with Compass was a very good sound: deep bass, very SWEET highs and warm mids - I even heard things with some music I never did before.

The D2000's lack of soundstage?

Apr 19, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #5,853 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by theBigD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YES! you would have to be half deaf to not notice the difference. I compared my modded x-fi to my roommates compass and was blown away by the difference. virtually night and day. my x-fi was bright edgy and mid forward. compass is warm, completely black background no edge or distortion. made me go out and research a better dac, and bought a stello da100 which is pretty incredible. But the compass is very good as well and will probably tame the sibilance or brightness of d2000 that ive heard about.

This is what I like to hear! Just making sure that the investment was worth it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sganzerla /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I love the 2000s, but I agree, the soundstage feels a bit hidden depending on the mix of a song.

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #5,854 of 7,725
Sorry, I didn't want to trash this headphone, it was my bad English.
frown.gif

After some burning my Compass developed a very impressive soundstage when using my K701, something that Denon did not benefit from. This is what I tried to say. There is no way one can go wrong with this combo from what I heard today.

Apr 19, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #5,857 of 7,725
Got an email from Cherry as well. When I look at the tracking information, I see the date is from tomorrow. My Compass is being shipped from THE FUTURE! Or maybe it's 'cause China is west of the international date line...

Apr 19, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #5,861 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by ExtraNice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my tracking today also.
smily_headphones1.gif

Doesn't seem to be up on the Chinese EMS webpage though..

@Warrant: What do you mean "Chinese version?" You mean the price increase?

I don't think there is anything called Chinese version of Compass and the promo price will be there at least till end of May, and its Sunday so maybe you can expect changes on the shipping page tomorrow.

Apr 19, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #5,862 of 7,725
I think the Chinese version will be the same price and design as yours. but production capacity of audio-gd maybe has some problems.Compass will be sold to native after may 1st.and we still have not find Compass on his chinese webpage.now only no more than 20 users get a test version.

Apr 19, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #5,863 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the Chinese version will be the same price and design as yours. but production capacity of audio-gd maybe has some problems.Compass will be sold to native after may 1st.and we still have not find Compass on his chinese webpage.now only no more than 20 users get a test version.

Ok now I understand, you meant Compass sale in Chinese Market.

It seems Audio GD even stopped selling DIY kits in China.. Yes, in that case, we are lucky because Compass is a great gear and I hope Compass starts rolling out locally soon !..
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2009 at 7:22 AM Post #5,864 of 7,725
I got this email from Cherry. Guess its because the damaged units some of you guys received. Mine is also shipping with DHL.

Quote:

One thing that I should let you know.
Because we need to sure the insurance value and make a claim to the insurance company.We can't declare the value too low.
From now on ,we will declare the value for USD120.

Apr 19, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #5,865 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldschool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got this email from Cherry. Guess its because the damaged units some of you guys received. Mine is also shipping with DHL.

That will be bad news for a lot of Europeans and other nations where they have to pay VAT. But I guess it's unavoidable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back