The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Apr 17, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #5,761 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobsmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True, though in that case you will still end up with one undamaged compass. So you are no worse off than if you rejected, except that a little DIY may be required. Still seems to me like the smart money is on accepting the package.

I agree, in this way if your Compass only has cosmetic damage, you can start listening to Compass, and wait for the new Chassis to arrive, and if its a damaged Compass, then you have a damaged Compass to use as spares for the new Compass coming in soon.

EDIT - I asked Kingwa what should be done, he says, if buyers want's they can collect the package from DHL, because to receive any compensations from DHL, he might need the pictures of the damaged Compass + the package (DHL bag) + the tracking number.
BUT he has left it to the decision of the buyers, if you wish to ignore collecting the package - he will do as he said - If its damaged you get new one, if its cosmetically damaged he will ship new plates, if you don't accept the package he will ship a new one..

So I guess he has left it upto buyers to decide whether to collect the package or not.

Apr 17, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #5,762 of 7,725
I don't know about anyone else, but my DHL status is way behind reality. Kingwa might thing that these are still sitting in some warehouse when they are already on their way back
frown.gif
I rejected mine 2 days ago, and just this morning the status changed.

Apr 17, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #5,763 of 7,725
Just called DHL. They said that its still in their storage facility and hasn't gone back to China. They would redeliver it on monday, but the whole thing is vastly more complicated because I'll be out of town for three weeks. I don't want to risk them by rerouting them to northern CA (not NorCal, thank you) where I'll be for 3 weeks.

Apr 17, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #5,764 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobsmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't read that to mean that you MUST refuse in order to get the new Compass. I read it that (a) if you refused you will get a new compass, and (b) if you accepted, you will get a new compass if the damage is heavy and cannot be repaired. Under neither circumstance will you have to send the broken one back.

Given Kingwa's instructions, if it were me, I would ALWAYS accept the package. Think about it, if you accept, you will most likely end up with two compasses, a working and a damaged one (which is clearly worth _something_, if only for spare parts). If you reject, you will only end up with one working one...

I agree thats a better strategy. But this is the email I had got from Cherry :

If your unit shows up in a DHL bag or badly mangled box, it's either been tampered with by Customs or has sustained major handling damage (or both). Refuse the shipment and contact us immediately and explain the reason why you refused the shipment. If you have a camera on hand at the time of delivery ask the driver to let you document the damage with a pix before he takes it back.

If it comes in a bag reject it, thats the only way I could interpret it and I bet the others did it the same way.

Anyways, I just called up DHL customer service and seems its lying in local warehouse. So the customer service has put in a request for a Monday delivery. Lets see.

Apr 17, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #5,765 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well with an xfi you won't need ASIO4ALL as creative has its own ASIO driver, native to its cards. As for which will sound better, the only way to truly know is to try them both. Personally I use coax from my xfi...

Yep. I use Coax from my Auzen X-Fi to the Compass. I haven't tried USB or Toslink but I find the sound amazing using coax.

My sound card does have a driver for ASIO, but I still use ASIO4ALL. Not sure I am losing SQ by not using the proprietary. Thoughts?

Apr 17, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #5,766 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,
I was looking for a dac/amp combo to connect to my pc that would drive my K601's and be able to hook up my powered pc speakers to and just received the Ibasso D10. So far I am happy with it and am surprised how good this little device sounds. I came across the compass here and didn't realize you could get a desktop amp like this for around the same price as the D10. I'm wondering if the compass would be a better option for me since the portability of the D10 isn't a necessity but a nice option. Just wondering if anyone has heard both or how much an upgrade it would be over the D10. The D10 has a 14 day no questions asked return policy so any input you could give would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have both and will compare them tonight, if I remember.
I predict that the compass will be superior, by far, which is why I only use the D10 as a portable.
There should be several people posting on this thread with both amps.

Apr 17, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #5,767 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dat_Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep. I use Coax from my Auzen X-Fi to the Compass. I haven't tried USB or Toslink but I find the sound amazing using coax.

My sound card does have a driver for ASIO, but I still use ASIO4ALL. Not sure I am losing SQ by not using the proprietary. Thoughts?

My first choice would be to use the native ASIO drivers for the sound card and use coax or optical out from it.

If you don't have any native ASIO-driver it sounds like a good idea to try a generic ASIO-driver and USB. Then you have two different options; the free one or the trial version of the commercial product.

Remember that it is important to use a ASIO-driver instead of Windows own sound driver (if you run Windows).

Apr 17, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #5,768 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by sarathcpt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree thats a better strategy. But this is the email I had got from Cherry :

That looks like a cut and paste from the website. Did you get that e-mail before or after Kingwa posted his instructions in the thread?

Apr 17, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #5,771 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same here (now that I've managed to get it working), so it's not device-specific at all. And it does seem to be a truly huge upgrade in quality. Much bigger than going from ordinary USB to ASIO4All even.

I got it to work but I did not find it a major leap in SQ over the Prelude SC ASIO driver. I guess that means the Auzen ASIO driver is pretty good...

Peete.

Apr 17, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #5,772 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by wdoerr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both and will compare them tonight, if I remember.
I predict that the compass will be superior, by far, which is why I only use the D10 as a portable.
There should be several people posting on this thread with both amps.

wdoerr,
I would really appreciate it if you could do that. Using the d10 over usb on my pc vs the onboard sound doesn't seem that much of a difference. Same thing using d10 over optical on my cd player vs using headphone out on it. Thanks.

Apr 17, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #5,773 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got it to work but I did not find it a major leap in SQ over the Prelude SC ASIO driver. I guess that means the Auzen ASIO driver is pretty good...

Peete.

Which in turn explains why you were always quite satisfied with the digital output of your computer.
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #5,774 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Peete.

Pete is your Auzen card an xfi? I always thought they licensed other technology - but do they make their own drivers or use the creative ones? Either way I was not too impressed with ASIO4ALL but it could be a good alternative for cards without native drivers.

Did you get it to work by somehow bypassing the licensing "beep" you mentioned the other day?

Apr 17, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #5,775 of 7,725
Hi Scottie,

The Auzen is X-Fi based as you surmise but I believe Auzen tweaks the drivers a little although the ASIO driver clearly labeled Creative in the properties panel. Either way I found the SPDIF out (using a nice COAX cable) gives me the best SQ using the Auzen ASIO driver.

I went over the .ini , .dll and .inf files of the USB package and had no luck finding anything concrete.

I wasn't expecting something easy. I bet they have it well guarded. I'll see what I can find out today on it.

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back