The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Apr 13, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #5,401 of 7,725
Got it working, the selector knob's alignment was off. I had it on USB but it was really Coax. Pushing it past the max of both sides lets you slide its center alignment. Also, with the volume nob, there are some areas were movement isn't smooth. There's like 4 tiny dents total, I don't really care.

Apr 13, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #5,402 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is how mine came:

The USB/Coax/Opt select was bashed in, but I popped it out and lit ocks onto the right areas.

A few nicks on the edges but otherwise fine. The blue power light turns on but I can't get sound out of it, but I'm still figuring out the driver setup.

It was indeed mishandled, but I must say that the packing is greatly lacking also, a proper carton box packing with some foam (or other any other material to avoid movement inside the box) would be the way to ship an item of this size an weight.

Apr 13, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #5,403 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMnEd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was indeed mishandled, but I must say that the packing is greatly lacking also, a proper carton box packing with some foam (or other any other material to avoid movement inside the box) would be the way to ship an item of this size an weight.

Yes, but thats not the way its packed by Audio GD as far as I know, they are always boxed with foam protection, so this is the Job of DHL most probably.. I think haloxt already posted a picture of the actual packing of Compass.

Apr 13, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #5,404 of 7,725
Quote:

It was perfectly sufficient. Check the pictures here it is totally different from the plastic bag pictures.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/aud...ml#post5591123

Apr 13, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #5,405 of 7,725
I was only commenting on the actual package shown in the picture, without knowledge of who is the responsible person or company. If DHL did that.. well, it's their fault of course.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #5,406 of 7,725
Quote:

I was only commenting on the actual package shown in the picture, without knowledge of who is the responsible person or company. If DHL did that.. well, it's their fault of course.
smily_headphones1.gif

I know, its just that when such things happen, its not a good feeling - nothing personal..
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, enough posts for the day and I hope people get their Compass intact and working..

Apr 13, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #5,407 of 7,725
First impressions are not good. This my first time hearing anything better than a internal soundcard... and when volume matched I can't hear any difference. Only difference is that the Compass allows me play stuff A LOT louder. But even at louder volumes than my soundcard allows I find the sound a bit... brittle. Headphones are AKG K702s.

Oh well, will keep comparing.

Apr 13, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #5,408 of 7,725
Quote:

As mentioned the packaging in that post is not what Audio-gd uses at all. That looks like a real sloppy job on DHL's part to try to repackage it.

Apr 13, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #5,410 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to the realities of overhyped interwebs enthusiasm.

you mean welcome to Planet Earth, am I right?
tongue_smile.gif

I still haven't had a chance to listen to my Compass. It's sitting on my table collecting dust. Damn computer!

Apr 13, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #5,411 of 7,725
Quote:

First impressions are not good. This my first time hearing anything better than a internal soundcard... and when volume matched I can't hear any difference. Only difference is that the Compass allows me play stuff A LOT louder. But even at louder volumes than my soundcard allows I find the sound a bit... brittle. Headphones are AKG K702s.

Far from commenting on any sort of sonic differences, you can perhaps try to see if it electrically satisfies your headphones. I would listen and see if you can hear more impact, and better definition (tighter presentation).

Apr 13, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #5,413 of 7,725
Quote:

Give it some time to burn in. It may or may not help, but I remember when I got my first DAC I didn't hear much of a difference and it could have been that it wasn't burned in or it was just that my ears were not used to it yet. Either way, I hope it works out in time!
smile_phones.gif

Apr 13, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #5,415 of 7,725
I'm also in the batch that are arriving today. I got the following status:

Code:

Code:
[left]Consignee premises closed. Will attempt again next business day.[/left]

Looks like I might be sort of lucky my mailroom was closed for the day when they attempted delivery. What should I instruct them to do tomorrow? Reject if it's a bag, or accept and deal with claims? Any idea what time DHL customer service closes? I'm wondering if I can intercept this before they even attempt to make the delivery.

I'm also wondering how I can inform them about the other shipments without pointing them to this thread, the declared value issue might be a huge problem with initiating direct contact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back