The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Apr 6, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #4,996 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by B00MERS00NER /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, that staying up til 5am listening to just one more song, reminds me of staying for just one more beer. I'm glad to know that it isn't just me. I am really impressed with how much the sound has changed in the compass, with the sun/neutral in the last few weeks. I guess the term "opens up" fits. I have been listening to Joni Mitchell's Blue cd and i really like the strings and drums, I find that acoustical and synthesizer based music paired with the compass/d5000s appeals to me. The clarity of sound just amazes me and to think that it can get better really worries me, or like gilency said, hurts the wallet.

I was listening to Blue through the Compass as I read your post! Ive noticed on 2 or 3 songs there were some intricate guitar work that I have never picked up on after listening to the CD countless times. I have noticed piano details in other CD's that I never caught before either. Good stuff.
L3000.gif

Apr 6, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #4,997 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlarn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was listening to Blue through the Compass as I read your post! Ive noticed on 2 or 3 songs there were some intricate guitar work that I have never picked up on after listening to the CD countless times. I have noticed piano details in other CD's that I never caught before either. Good stuff.
L3000.gif

Discovering old music again like this is amazing. Is that what the term transparency means? The being able to pick up those details? Hearing the pick scrape along the ridges of the strings, or how the echo of the vocals as they bounce of the walls in the background. I'm listening to Foreigner Juke Box Hero and that intro never sounded so juicy, I don't know what that instrument is, but its definitely the best part of that song in my opinion.

Apr 6, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #4,998 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by idunno /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The limited weekend hours, nice weather, and my taxes have limited my play time, but I have managed to complete my first evaluation; AD797BRZ vs. Earth, both with Compass in neutral, using HD650. My Earth and Compass have roughly 600 hours of burn-in. I'm still learning to describe sound, so I hope you'll bear with me. It should go without saying that what follows is entirely my novice opinion and should, at best, be taken with a grain of salt. imho, ymmv, etc...

AD797BRZ w/HD650: Sound is fluid, and quite aggressive. Decent level of overall detail, though the sound is not excessively bright. Bass is somewhat overpowering, approaching boomy, and perhaps a bit smeared. Soundstage is reasonable but unremarkable.

Earth w/HD650: Musical is the best word to describe the sound. Overall detail is reasonable, perhaps somewhat less than the 797. Decidedly warmer, and more laid back than the 797. Bass is tight, detailed, and well controlled, but not lacking for power; in fact this setup may still be a bit bass heavy. Soundstage, while not extraordinary, is both more spacious and involving than with the 797.

I decided to give the 797 a (brief) try with my AD900, since I feel that the AD900 are generally somewhat light in the bass department, and perhaps endowed with too deep a soundstage. The theory is that the deficiencies and strengths of the two might combine well.

AD797BRZ w/AD900: Bass is largely tamed, but still powerful; bass detail and control are decidedly improved. Soundstage is wider, more spacious, though beginning to exhibit the excessive airiness which tends to keep my AD900 on the shelf. This combination proves somewhat bright, yielding limited sibilance on susceptible tracks.

Earth w/AD900: The same improvements as before hold true; this combination is still more musical, with more detailed bass and a wider, livelier soundstage than with the 797 (but somehow I'm less bothered by the airiness). Sibilance was not noted, even with tracks which were problematic with the 797.

Conclusion: It should be noted that while I have made some sweeping statements regarding the Earth and 797, the two are really quite close in sound signature. Someone not aspiring to audiophilia would likely not hear the differences; but that's what we're here for, right? The 797 is quite enjoyable, but it seems to push the extremes too much, such that it is either too bass heavy, or too bright. I find the Earth more balanced, and more to my liking.

cheers.. thanks.. now i'll hold off getting the 797...

now i'll look forward to other opamps(ad743, those that do well in D1) comparison from you.. :p

Apr 6, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #5,001 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Except the Bronx
biggrin.gif

Peete.

I was about to comment on the universality of The Nation, but I guess you're right about that one.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Woohoo! Opening Day!
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2009 at 11:49 AM Post #5,002 of 7,725
The theory of burning-in in Soft 2 is that by engaging all the jumpers, you're burning all of the possible modes at the same time, correct? Does that mean that using Neutral will also burn Bright mode, since Bright involves no jumpers at all?

Please correct me if I'm wrong... I'm just hoping that despite skipping the “fast burn in” approach, I've gotten somewhat of a two-for-one deal.

Apr 6, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #5,006 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dat_Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x3. DHL hasn't updated their site yet though. How long have they been taking from China to the US?

I think shipping usually takes 3-5 days. Perhaps slightly longer for European countries because they can get stuck with long customs delays. (Or even Canada, just ask Peete.) It usually takes a bit of time to gather momentum, but once it's flying (usually from the time it left "Hong Kong-Hub"), things can go surprisingly fast.

The above pertains to DHL, I don't know how long it will take with EMS.

Apr 6, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #5,008 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by ExtraNice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sigh... still haven't got mine. The wait is killing me!

Surprise! I seem to be on the list even though it's a few days earlier than Cherry said. I haven't seen an email. I've got so much spam to sort through on Mondays. Is the email from Audio-ad or DHL?

Apr 6, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #5,009 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by nv88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Surprise! I seem to be on the list even though it's a few days earlier than Cherry said. I haven't seen an email. I've got so much spam to sort through on Mondays. Is the email from Audio-ad or DHL?

From Audio GD..

Good to know its been shipped earlier than what was said to you..
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #5,010 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by nv88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, this is not good. I ordered mine on March 21 and you're getting yours already? Didn't you just order yours a week ago?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back